Umpires

T

thefountainsafc_73

Who's your favourite and who do you not like in the north east leagues?

Anyone come across a Peter Dawson. Quite gobby on twitter
New Umpire on list but experienced cricketer.
Played the bravest innings I ever saw, scoring 100 against a "very angry", very quick, Winston Davis, for Eppleton v Sunderland in 1983.
Years later, got his jaw broken hooking a very quick, Atur ur Rehman whilst batting for Chester-Le-Street v Gateshead Fell.
Original "angry" Hetton lad !

Played the bravest innings I ever saw, scoring 100 against a "very angry", very quick, Winston Davis, for Eppleton v Sunderland in 1983.
Years later, got his jaw broken hooking a very quick, Atur ur Rehman whilst batting for Chester-Le-Street v Gateshead Fell.

Very angry. Has some interesting views on the muslim world

Anyone come across a Peter Dawson. Quite gobby on twitter
I could never imagine Dawsa retiring quietly...

Back when I played, many moons ago, there was an old boy with a gammy leg and a stick. I forget his name.

If you were unfortunate enough to be batting second, and he had any concerns about missing his bingo at the club later on, your innings would be finished in a flurry of LBW dismissals.

Very experienced. Eppleton captain for several years.

Last edited:

Back when I played, many moons ago, there was an old boy with a gammy leg and a stick. I forget his name.

If you were unfortunate enough to be batting second, and he had any concerns about missing his bingo at the club later on, your innings would be finished in a flurry of LBW dismissals.

George from wardley? Can't remember his surname

He was once umpiring us at Horden.

When they'd last watered the square, they must have forgot to put the cover over the hole where the tap was at the edge of the square.

He hobbled off towards square leg at the end of the over, his walking stick disappeared down the hole where the tap was, and he ended up on his arse with the rest of us helpless with laughter.

My dad's mate, had a serious illness a while back. Gets down The Riverside still I believe.

Stinky Pete in the NEDL. The Jewish bloke (Richard Hornsby, without The Range) who in his first game at Beamish stood 15 yards behind the stumps as I ran in to bowl. Geordie Shaw, blissfully unaware of the TV reality show. Dear old Colin Dykes who got through a rolly per over.

Chris Hall told my dad a story the other day where a couple of weeks ago a 'trainee' umpire asked for a chair to sit on whilst umpiring! They did it for a couple of overs until he fell off it and Chris asked him to leave the premises.

Last edited:
My dad's mate, had a serious illness a while back. Gets down The Riverside still I believe.

Stinky Pete in the NEDL. The Jewish bloke (Richard Hornsby, without The Range) who in his first game at Beamish stood 15 yards behind the stumps as I ran in to bowl. Geordie Shaw, blissfully unaware of the TV reality show. Dear old Colin Dykes who got through a rolly per over.

Chris Hall told my dad a story the other day where a couple of weeks ago a 'trainee' umpire asked for a chair to sit on whilst umpiring! They did it for a couple of overs until he fell off it and Chris asked him to leave the premises.

Someone added a photo of the umpire sitting down on the DCL Facebook page, Boldon CA v Hytlon and Marlon Black was running in while you see the umpire sitting on his little chair.

Stinky Pete frim Belmont? Saw him at a Knights game this season. Absolute wrong un

Stinky Pete frim Belmont? Saw him at a Knights game this season. Absolute wrong un
We had to carry him off the pitch a couple of seasons ago when his back went. He kept leaning to one side when umpiring to the point where our opening bowler had to actually run around him to bowl.

Why did Paul Haley pack in he was a well respected extremely competent and dedicated umpire who is a great loss to the game?
Had a bit of bother where he was accused by a player of swearing at him then giving him out later in the game, with a 'decision not towards the game itself', whatever that means.

Player reported him to the league who had a hearing and decided it was a case of one person's word against another's and dismissed it. Paul felt that they hadn't given him the support that an umpire needed in this situation and resigned.

Some players were twats when I played in the DSL but they always respected the umpires - some of the modern NEPL boys are real 'Billy-big-balls' tossers and think they're above all that. Result was the loss of a decent umpire (and bloke) to the league.

Last edited:

Back