Umpire

Easy. Test is easy to pass.

Might be a few tricky questions these days.

Happy days on a Sunday umpiring under 16s cricket to get to first level..

Then a few years of club cricket.

Then you qualify in about 5 years time to umpire proper league cricket. Where you might get free food and a changing room.

Then in another 5 years you can apply for minor county circuit. Northumberland.

Then after 5 years apply to be county umpire.

You need to start doing this when your 16 to stand a chance of getting to county level.

Good luck.. Found umpiring kids and basically midweek beer games boring after 3 years.

Same as a footy ref really.

Long hard slog and having to pass the test every year to keep up with law changes is a pain.

The process is slow.

You will have an official umpire marking you in a kids game about 3 times to progress to even beer adult matches.

Why people have no respect for umpires and football refs is beyond me the time taken and studying in a classroom alone is a time consumer.

But at least you know the laws of the game at end of it.

I do the retest every year even tho i don't umpire anymore.

About 99 quid.last year to keep qualified.
Where do you umpire. Only cost is clothing first year, bails a counter and aco membership £30. But you get more if you do league games as a member. No cost per year other than annual membership. this year the Durham league will even pay your course fees if you do a few games for them. Anyone who likes cricket but too old or clocked to play get involved it’s a great way to still be involved still
Really?? no wonder the number are dwindling, youd think they'd be doing all the could to get and keep umpires
It’s free ignore £99 don’t know where that’s come from

Good Luck Marra think all leagues are desperately short of umps and the whisper is the NEPL have upped there fees to £75 plus expenses per game

Easy. Test is easy to pass.

Might be a few tricky questions these days.

Happy days on a Sunday umpiring under 16s cricket to get to first level..

Then a few years of club cricket.

Then you qualify in about 5 years time to umpire proper league cricket. Where you might get free food and a changing room.

Then in another 5 years you can apply for minor county circuit. Northumberland.

Then after 5 years apply to be county umpire.

You need to start doing this when your 16 to stand a chance of getting to county level.

Good luck.. Found umpiring kids and basically midweek beer games boring after 3 years.

Same as a footy ref really.

Long hard slog and having to pass the test every year to keep up with law changes is a pain.

The process is slow.

You will have an official umpire marking you in a kids game about 3 times to progress to even beer adult matches.

Why people have no respect for umpires and football refs is beyond me the time taken and studying in a classroom alone is a time consumer.

But at least you know the laws of the game at end of it.

I do the retest every year even tho i don't umpire anymore.

About 99 quid.last year to keep qualified.
I've umpired for 15 years. Once the official courses were completed in the 1st 3 years, I've never paid to requalify. I've also never heard of anyone else either! Just the £30 ACO fee, which includes insurance etc.

Back