Umpire

Good luck!

Was at the NEPL dinner last week, Geoff Miller (excellent entertainment) recalled the intellect of Don Topley by recalling how he asked an umpire where he was at in his over, the ump held 3 fingers up. Off Don trotted to his run up, he then turned around, trotted back to the umpire to ask whether it was 3 gone or 3 to come..

Moral is, be realistic about what’s between the lugs of your average league cricketer.

Did it for a few years in a decent league. I had to pack in because of sciatica. Tip - watch out for the straight drive comin back straight at you. I didnt move quick enough and broke 2 ribs

Starting the journey of being a umpire.

Any advice? Horror stories?
Easy. Test is easy to pass.

Might be a few tricky questions these days.

Happy days on a Sunday umpiring under 16s cricket to get to first level..

Then a few years of club cricket.

Then you qualify in about 5 years time to umpire proper league cricket. Where you might get free food and a changing room.

Then in another 5 years you can apply for minor county circuit. Northumberland.

Then after 5 years apply to be county umpire.

You need to start doing this when your 16 to stand a chance of getting to county level.

Good luck.. Found umpiring kids and basically midweek beer games boring after 3 years.

Same as a footy ref really.

Long hard slog and having to pass the test every year to keep up with law changes is a pain.
Easy. Test is easy to pass.

Might be a few tricky questions these days.

Happy days on a Sunday umpiring under 16s cricket to get to first level..

Then a few years of club cricket.

Then you qualify in about 5 years time to umpire proper league cricket. Where you might get free food and a changing room.

Then in another 5 years you can apply for minor county circuit. Northumberland.

Then after 5 years apply to be county umpire.

You need to start doing this when your 16 to stand a chance of getting to county level.

Good luck.. Found umpiring kids and basically midweek beer games boring after 3 years.

Same as a footy ref really.

Long hard slog and having to pass the test every year to keep up with law changes is a pain.
The process is slow.

You will have an official umpire marking you in a kids game about 3 times to progress to even beer adult matches.

Why people have no respect for umpires and football refs is beyond me the time taken and studying in a classroom alone is a time consumer.

But at least you know the laws of the game at end of it.

I do the retest every year even tho i don't umpire anymore.

About 99 quid.last year to keep qualified.

Last edited:

Back