UK interest in the IPL

For me, the whole concept of "franchises" and "drafts" just creates a massive sense of it being an exhibition. Fair enough it may get the best players playing together but where's the meaning? How can you really get into supporting a team or how can legacies be created when the players switch franchises every year?

Last edited:

For me, the whole concept of "franchises" and "drafts" just creates a massive sense of it being an exhibition. Fair enough it may get the best players playing together but where's the meaning? How can you really get into supporting a team or anything when the players switch franchises every year?
I think with other franchises league definitely a good point and is more of an issue that with the IPL, as most of the Indian players tend to play for the same team for example Rohit,Kholi,Burmah,Pant, Yadav their top T20 players have throughout the IPL played for the same side.

The IPl definitely seems to have more of a settled teams than other franchise leagues where I think your point more valid.

Therefore seems to have more grounds full, more support, more behind their team and undoubtedly all having a good time.

It’s always good imo seeing fans enjoying the game of cricket which they do massively in the IPL
Don’t watch much if any of the other franchise leagues around the world so can’t speak for those leagues but watch a hell of a lot of the IPL, and there is no doubt they behind their team support them and passionate about their team

Last edited:
Not for me I genuinely think sport is there to be enjoyed first and foremost.

I certainly don’t think sport is about hatred!

I do get a lot of fans hate other fans but genuinely struggle why as most of the time they doing exactly the same as them supporting their local team.

I get fans been passionate about their own team but have always not liked hating another team or a fan of another team simply because they support another cricket or football team

I think however long a particular team has been going in any sport it’s bit disrespectful to say to fans of that team it doesn’t mean as much to you as it does to a supporter of a team that has been going for longer?
When Durham became a first class county there would have attracted new fans who did not watch them while they were a minor county.

It would be unfair to say to those fans in them first years your team doesn’t mine as much to you as Yorkshire because you have only been a first class county for a small time.
I personally like to see sport fans throughly enjoying themselves at a game and enjoying the atmosphere and spectacle rather than been wrapped up in any hatred

I can’t agree like. It’s justification for creating teams like MK Dons that.

Durham has always existed it just got first class status. My family supported them before that.

You cant just create 2 teams tomorrow then claim that game means as much as something as lancashire v Yorkshire. You’re undermining your argument with stuff like that.
Ditto on first part.

Nail on head on second part. Why I don't really watch the IPL. Only so much T20 I can enjoy. Not blowing my load before the World Cup/Blast.

Third bit contradicts the second part. I wouldn't say Blast is any better, just like me you could care less who wins in the IPL/BBL/SA20 etc but your invested in counties to an extent so your enjoyment is up. I wanted somerset to win finals day so enjoyed it more, but if they'd lost to Surrey in the semis I'd have not cared that much.

They’re just the games I enjoy as they’re old rivalry in them, more meaning. I’d prefer to watch them play in other formats like but I think it’s a good occasion twice a year to full houses

My main gripe with the 100 is them creating new teams

Last edited:
I can’t agree like. It’s justification for creating teams like MK Dons that.

Durham has always existed it just got first class status. My family supported them before that.

You cant just create 2 teams tomorrow then claim that game means as much as something as lancashire v Yorkshire. You’re undermining your argument with stuff like that.

They’re just the games I enjoy as they’re old rivalry in them, more meaning. I’d prefer to watch them play in other formats like but I think it’s a good occasion twice a year to full houses

There is a certain element of truth to what you saying but there is certainly another argument.

There is lads on here who set up Littletown club village side not that long ago and I imagine when they play on a Saturday locally it’s means just as much to them than a club side that has been going a lot longer and I think it would be disrespectful to say to them their club matches don’t mean as much as other club matches because their club has not been going as long

The IPL has been going now more than long enough for fans to be attached to sides and be passionate about them which they clearly are, and over 100k fans watch the final each year.

There was a bloke on here a few years ago, when the old Durham senior league was been discussed having a go at newish teams in the Durham leagues and calling them ‘ Johnny coming lately’ clubs.

He was universally and rightly criticized for that.

I get your point up to a point, but fans of clubs at whatever level still have passion for their team and personally don’t think we can say what means more to a fan simply based on how long a club has been running.

Last edited:
I’ll pretty much watch any cricket that’s on and really enjoy the IPL. Don’t follow it as closely as international stuff or the Championship, but there are often terrific skills on display. Prefer the pocket-sized SA20, but am always happy to catch the last few overs of an IPL game when I get home from work.

On following teams, I don’t think all sports have to follow the football model of having deep-seated allegiances to clubs going back decades to be enjoyable, although given that we’re now 17 years into the IPL there’s a decent amount of history there and some good long-running stories to follow (like RCB never having won it, or this year’s spat between Gujarat and Mumbai over Hardik’s move).

Last edited:
I’ll pretty much watch any cricket that’s on and really enjoy the IPL. Don’t follow it as closely as international stuff or the Championship, but there are often terrific skills on display. Prefer the pocket-sized SA20, but am always happy to catch the last few overs of a IPL game when I get home from work.

On following teams, I don’t think all sports have to follow the football model of having deep-seated allegiances to clubs going back decades to be enjoyable, although given that we’re now 17 years into the IPL there’s a decent amount of history there and some good long-running stories to follow (like RCB never having won it, or this year’s spat between Gujarat and Mumbai over Hardik’s move).
Yeah I do get passionate fans who obviously prefer to watch their own side.

But there is other fans (which I class myself as) who just enjoy the sport of cricket and enjoy the shorter format and the IPL and enjoy the skills on show especially when top players in the world are on show.

You can as a fan just enjoy the cricket.
And if I or anybody else enjoys the IPL, The Hundred or whatever competition, that should be respected imo

Last edited:
There is a certain element of truth to what you saying but there is certainly another argument.

There is lads on here who set up Littletown club village side not that long ago and I imagine when they play on a Saturday locally it’s means just as much to them than a club side that has been going a lot longer and I think it would be disrespectful to say to them their club matches don’t mean as much as other club matches because their club has not been going as long

The IPL has been going now more than long enough for fans to be attached to sides and be passionate about them which they clearly are, and over 100k fans watch the final each year.

There was a bloke on here a few years ago, when the old Durham senior league was been discussed having a go at newish teams in the Durham leagues and calling them ‘ Johnny coming lately’ clubs.

He was universally and rightly criticized for that.

I get your point up to a point, but fans of clubs at whatever level still have passion for their team and personally don’t think we can say what means more to a fan simply based on how long a club has been running.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison mind. About lads setting up a local team and playing.

Some players are just flying from league to league to play for franchises that didn’t exist a few years ago. I get it from the players view for a job but there’s no way you can be emotionally invested in something as a fan

You might enjoy the skill level but it doesn’t matter if you win or lose does it.

👏👏👏

They’re just the games I enjoy as they’re old rivalry in them, more meaning. I’d pref er to watch them play in other formats like but I think it’s a good occasion twice a year to full houses

Yep, exactly right, Manchester v Leeds just doesn’t have the same pull as Lancashire v Yorkshire does.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison mind. About lads setting up a local team and playing.

Some players are just flying from league to league to play for franchises that didn’t exist a few years ago. I get it from the players view for a job but there’s no way you can be emotionally invested in something as a fan

You might enjoy the skill level but it doesn’t matter if you win or lose does it.
I think like I said earlier can see your point with other franchises.

But with the IPL, a lot the best Indian T20 players in the main have played for the same team throughout.

And for them and their fans it does matter very much.

But for balance and tbf to your point I do see your general point to a certain extent with franchises.

Last edited:
I think the fundamental problem with the short form is that it always becomes formulaic. The 65/60/50 over one day cup did. The 40 over Sunday league did. The T20 has as well. They all enjoy a brief vogue before this happens.

The 3/4/5 day game, by contrast, is marvellously, subtle, and constantly evolves. But nee fucker watches it. This is cricket’s perennial problem. It’s not particular to the IPL. And I don’t know what the answer is. But yes, I will watch it a bit, because there are some bloody good players playing in it, but it doesn’t balance attack and defence properly to be good sport.

I think the fundamental problem with the short form is that it always becomes formulaic. The 65/60/50 over one day cup did. The 40 over Sunday league did. The T20 has as well. They all enjoy a brief vogue before this happens.

The 3/4/5 day game, by contrast, is marvellously, subtle, and constantly evolves. But nee fucker watches it. This is cricket’s perennial problem. It’s not particular to the IPL. And I don’t know what the answer is. But yes, I will watch it a bit, because there are some bloody good players playing in it, but it doesn’t balance attack and defence properly to be good sport.
I think you make good points there T20 and 50 over games now have roughly the same way of going about things I.e power play quick start, middle overs and end hitting overs.

As much as the skills are constantly evolving and moving in short format cricket you right and it’s difficult to get away from that and why test cricket will always be a better watch as more time for twists and turns.

However at the same time they needs to be an acceptance that cricket is competing against more interests than ever before and it’s proven fans want to watch the T20 format.

This thread is about the IPL and without a shadow of a doubt it has been a massive success brilliant atmosphere and all concerned with it love it.

I don’t get why soo many people looking at an angle to critcise it constantly, it is clear it is giving a lot of joy to a lot of people, anyone watching a IPL can clearly see the massive enjoyment had by all at the games

You don’t get people who don’t watch county championship cricket for example and like T20 , regularly having a go at championship cricket as they respect the fans of that format and what they personally enjoy

I personally don’t like some of condescending comments toward the shorter format fans that occasionally appear on this board as fans have a right to enjoy what format they like and clearly many do like the short format hence the popularity and growth of it.

There is too many franchises and the balance is sadly tipping too much towards the shorter format, that is agreed by most if not all.

Cricket needs to get the balance right between the longer format and the shorter one and it’s sad to see South Africa putting third choice test sides out, that can’t be right.

However that tells cricket T20 important to countries and fans.

Cricket needs to embrace that imo and find a way to get the balance right where each country has a flagship T20 competition maybe over 5 weeks of the season with the rest for 4/5 day cricket.

It’s real difficult one and respect needs to be given to fans who watch whatever format.

I do think however championship cricket needs more results in terms of winning and losing.

A couple of seasons ago when the ECB wanted flatter tracks thought it was a bad advert for county championship as too many draws and too many games why results were not happening.

There is of course a place for draws in longer format cricket but imo only when teams have their backs against the wall.

Personally find it bad for the sport if after 4/5 days the game ends in a draw simply because not enough time due to too much flat wickets or teams scoring too slowly.

Last season due to the influence of the England team championship cricket much better.

The way Durham went about winning games with positive cricket was brilliant for all concerned their fans and cricket as a whole.

Cricket needs to evolve for the longevity of the game and get the balance right for the future of it.

And all need to work together for that.

Last edited:
I think you make good points there T20 and 50 over games now have roughly the same way of going about things I.e power play quick start, middle overs and end hitting overs.

As much as the skills are constantly evolving and moving in short format cricket you right and it’s difficult to get away from that and why test cricket will always be a better watch as more time for twists and turns.

However at the same time they needs to be an acceptance that cricket is competing against more interests than ever before and it’s proven fans want to watch the T20 format.

This thread is about the IPL and without a shadow of a doubt it has been a massive success brilliant atmosphere and all concerned with it love it.

I don’t get why soo many people looking at an angle to critcise it constantly, it is clear it is giving a lot of joy to a lot of people, anyone watching a IPL can clearly see the massive enjoyment had by all at the games

You don’t get people who don’t watch county championship cricket for example and like T20 , regularly having a go at championship cricket as they respect the fans of that format and what they personally enjoy

I personally don’t like some of condescending comments toward the shorter format fans that occasionally appear on this board as fans have a right to enjoy what format they like and clearly many do like the short format hence the popularity and growth of it.

There is too many franchises and the balance is sadly tipping too much towards the shorter format, that is agreed by most if not all.

Cricket needs to get the balance right between the longer format and the shorter one and it’s sad to see South Africa putting third choice test sides out, that can’t be right.

However that tells cricket T20 important to countries and fans.

Cricket needs to embrace that imo and find a way to get the balance right where each country has a flagship T20 competition maybe over 5 weeks of the season with the rest for 4/5 day cricket.

It’s real difficult one and respect needs to be given to fans who watch whatever format.

I do think however championship cricket needs more results in terms of winning and losing.

A couple of seasons ago when the ECB wanted flatter tracks thought it was a bad advert for county championship as too many draws and too many games why results were not happening.

There is of course a place for draws in longer format cricket but imo only when teams have their backs against the wall.

Personally find it bad for the sport if after 4/5 days the game ends in a draw simply because not enough time due to too much flat wickets or teams scoring too slowly.

Last season due to the influence of the England team championship cricket much better.

The way Durham went about winning games with positive cricket was brilliant for all concerned their fans and cricket as a whole.

Cricket needs to evolve for the longevity of the game and get the balance right for the future of it.

And all need to work together for that.
What an absolutely bizarre point of view "there's loads of fans there looking like they're enjoying themselves so you shouldn't criticise" is. Whether there are 1, 100 or 100,000 fans at an IPL game, it won't change someone's feeling towards that form of the game.

And you'll find that most of those fans are supporting the individual big players rather than a team. If Kohli moved to anther franchise then they'd all just start supporting that one. They're the same with test cricket. When Tendulkar was in his pomp they'd leave the ground after he was out.

What an absolutely bizarre point of view "there's loads of fans there looking like they're enjoying themselves so you shouldn't criticise" is. Whether there are 1, 100 or 100,000 fans at an IPL game, it won't change someone's feeling towards that form of the game.

And you'll find that most of those fans are supporting the individual big players rather than a team. If Kohli moved to anther franchise then they'd all just start supporting that one. They're the same with test cricket. When Tendulkar was in his pomp they'd leave the ground after he was out.
Tbf, how can you or I know that, I imagine most fans at a ground live relatively locally so for example if Kholi left RCB.

Although disappointed he would have left, I would imagine they would still go to games and support the team, as you said before some of the players change teams don’t think fans move and go to those games and watch other teams could be wrong like

Fair enough mate with your other point, people can prefer whatever form they like, and maybe never put that point across right

I was more trying to get across the point, it’s well watched and loads watch and enjoy it, so it’s obviously is with many fans a popular game

Tbf, how can you or I know that, I imagine most fans at a ground live relatively locally so for example if Kholi left RCB.

Although disappointed he would have left, I would imagine they would still go to games and support the team, as you said before some of the players change teams don’t think fans move and go to those games and watch other teams could be wrong like

Fair enough mate with your other point, people can prefer whatever form they like, and maybe never put that point across right

I was more trying to get across the point, it’s well watched and loads watch and enjoy it, so it’s obviously is with many fans a popular game
I know for a fact that they used to leave when Tendulkar was out as I worked with a load of Indians 15 year ago and they said that's what happens.

On the Kohli and IPL thing, no actual evidence myself but I've heard a few podcasts where they've had Indian correspondents on and that's what they said the crack is. The latest one was the Wisden Cricket Weekly from a couple of weeks back.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the "It's a popular" game thing. Nobody has said it isn't. It doesn't mean it's a good thing in the wider context of the sport though.

I know for a fact that they used to leave when Tendulkar was out as I worked with a load of Indians 15 year ago and they said that's what happens.

On the Kohli and IPL thing, no actual evidence myself but I've heard a few podcasts where they've had Indian correspondents on and that's what they said the crack is. The latest one was the Wisden Cricket Weekly from a couple of weeks back.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the "It's a popular" game thing. Nobody has said it isn't. It doesn't mean it's a good thing in the wider context of the sport though.
With your last point mate, if it’s popular it engages more into the sport, which is a good thing imo, genuinely think getting more involved in the sport which the shorter format and IPL does is good for the wider context of the sport and longevity of it.

Although respect others may not.

What is important imo though is the balance, for all means let shorter format cricket engage more people in the sport but not to the detriment of test cricket which is a concern, they a share with others.

My point has always be get the right balance embrace both formats rather than having a go at one.

With your other point like I say any supporters or any team would be disappointed if their star player left.

But it’s impossible for either of us to actually know how that would fully effect the attendances of that team.

Imo I think the T20 format and IPL is soo popular over their fans would continue to support their team.

With your last point mate, if it’s popular it engages more into the sport, which is a good thing imo, genuinely think getting more involved in the sport which the shorter format and IPL does is good for the wider context of the sport and longevity of it.

Although respect others may not.

What is important imo though is the balance, for all means let shorter format cricket engage more people in the sport but not to the detriment of test cricket which is a concern, they a share with others.

My point has always be get the right balance embrace both formats rather than having a go at one.

With your other point like I say any supporters or any team would be disappointed if their star player left.

But it’s impossible for either of us to actually know how that would fully effect the attendances of that team.

Imo I think the T20 format and IPL is soo popular over their fans would continue to support their team.
And the IPL has no balance at all. Make no mistake, it is only interested in itself. There's talk of making it longer and having them contracted to franchises 12 months a year. That's not good for the wider game at all IMO.

And on the other point, you're missing my original point. Because of the differences of fans from different cultures means absolutely nothing to anyone apart from Indian cricket fans.

And the IPL has no balance at all. Make no mistake, it is only interested in itself. There's talk of making it longer and having them contracted to franchises 12 months a year. That's not good for the wider game at all IMO.

And on the other point, you're missing my original point. Because of the differences of fans from different cultures means absolutely nothing to anyone apart from Indian cricket fans.
Yeah difficult to argue with your first point and I wouldn’t.

It’s more to far to say the IPL objectives and aims are to promote Indian cricket and look after themselves more than spreading the game.

And it certainly concerning them having control of players 12 months a year and certainly hope that doesn’t happen.

Shorter format whichever competition be it, the IPL, The Blast or The Hundred is good for engaging new fans to the game, which is good for the wider game but the big danger which I think you alluding to is it getting to big which I share your concerns

Last edited:

Longer as in more teams or playing each other twice?

Taking cricket away from half the country during its peak time and the constant attacks on the domestic game.

The marketing around sustainability of the game, the broadcasting rights potential of the old and new formats, they still get repeated now by the acolytes despite being proven to be outright lies.

I suspect the war is lost though, the money and the unrelenting aggresive marketing will win. See Brexit. You don't have to prove anything in the long term, you just need to get your objectives over the line. Because once the old way has gone, it's gone.

Look forward to DreRuss hitting sixes over tiny boundaries for the Mubai Indians, Perth Scorchers, Auckland Arseholes, Pretoria Pretenders, Karachi Krackers, Abu Dabi Doos, Barbados Bastards and London Wotsits, all in the same calander year. And some commentator telling you why it's unbelievable and amazing and historic.

Taking cricket away from half the country during its peak time and the constant attacks on the domestic game.

The marketing around sustainability of the game, the broadcasting rights potential of the old and new formats, they still get repeated now by the acolytes despite being proven to be outright lies.

I suspect the war is lost though, the money and the unrelenting aggresive marketing will win. See Brexit. You don't have to prove anything in the long term, you just need to get your objectives over the line. Because once the old way has gone, it's gone.

Look forward to DreRuss hitting sixes over tiny boundaries for the Mubai Indians, Perth Scorchers, Auckland Arseholes, Pretoria Pretenders, Karachi Krackers, Abu Dabi Doos, Barbados Bastards and London Wotsits, all in the same calander year. And some commentator telling you why it's unbelievable and amazing and historic.

Aye most likely

I never understand why they were so hostile to cricket fans.

If they said we are creating a northern team, which will only be made up of Durham and Yorkshire players and will play games at both venues, then maybe, maybe I could have generated a small interest

but it was like we dont want you as a fan

Back