UK interest in the IPL

Sponsors.

You’ve got two timeouts which are sponsored and allow more advert time, probably a drinks breaks to do the same thing as well then it takes ages and the end of the innings for them to get fields sorted. No idea if there’s even a minimum time to bowl an innings in the IPL at this point.
Yeah and they are forced to take them aswel

Watched one game and they needed 5 runs of about 9-10 overs and the umpires made them take a strategic timeout....completely unnecessary

Dont know if its just the odd game I have seen this season but the crowds dont look as packed as they have been in previous seasons

Last edited:

Sponsors.

You’ve got two timeouts which are sponsored and allow more advert time, probably a drinks breaks to do the same thing as well then it takes ages and the end of the innings for them to get fields sorted. No idea if there’s even a minimum time to bowl an innings in the IPL at this point.

It was sort of a rhetorical question, I knew all along it was to do with money to be fair :lol:

I used to be massively into IPL and Big Bash especially, but with the unholy number of t20/t10/100/6ixty comps now I have lost complete interest. I think I still watch the same amount of short-form cricket with the same total enjoyment, but that enjoyment spread over almost 52 weeks rather than 8 or 9 weeks.

There's far too much meaning there's nothing to look forward to. Same as the F1 now.

Is there much?

I’m talking merely from a fans perspective here, not about how many UK produced players are involved, but I wanted to have the discussion really - I noted on the County Cricket thread that there’s barely been any mention of the upcoming county season on the various podcast outlets that cover ‘frontline’ cricket. Not yet anyway. There were however IPL preview episodes on all of them. Now I’ve got very little interest in it so I didn’t bother listening, my interest would’ve risen ever so slightly if Durham had any players involved, but I don’t really care very much about it, being brutally honest. I imagine though, that there were fewer listeners for them than there would be for a standard days reporting of Test Cricket.

I don’t intend this as an anti-IPL thread, nor even an anti-BCCI thread, most people will know what my feelings are already about that, but is there that much interest across our nation for the IPL?? Outside of the normal cricketing public, or aside from even the British Indian community? I get that there’s interest in India.

It’s on Sky, but so was the PSL (as are various other cricketing mediums) and I did watch quite a bit of that. I enjoyed it, I always do enjoy watching cricket from Pakistan, I love the vibrancy of the crowds and I suppose I’ve got a heightened sense of appreciation when watching it which stems from the sentiment of being able to watch cricket from there again, following their previous ban. It did seem to be far more organic however, than the IPL, which I’ll probably always have a lot of hostility towards for well documented reasons.

I know we’re just a small microcosm of the cricketing public on here, but there doesn’t seem so much interest in franchise cricket as a whole, maybe we aren’t the target audience after all 🤷‍♂️

T20 has its place in world cricket, I can’t and won’t dispute that, but when an innings is taking close to two hours to complete as it does in this current version and they’re taking tactical and strategic timeouts AND even having a f*cking drinks break after ten overs - it’s sort of losing the entire point of what it was meant to be in the first place. It’s becoming ever so closer to being baseball. I’m sure most of us have played midweek club games where we’ve completed the entire thing in less time than it takes the Bangalore Bullshitters to bowl their 20 overs.

So is it really the all conquering answer to the future of world cricket? I’m sure the players appreciate the huge paychecks, it’s created a band of mercenary cricketers (and who can blame them?) who simply travel the world for twelve months every year earning enough money so that they never have to work a proper job for the rest of their (or their families lives) once the gravy eventually runs out or they’re too old to board the train. The IPL in itself won’t cure the ills of world cricket, it may not even cure the ills of Indian cricket, but of course that’s why every country now has its own version and whether you or I agree or not with how best to pursue that option, every nation tries to do it as best as they can in order to maximise as best they can the amount of gravy they can extract from it.

I concede I’ve drifted a little from the original question, I concede too that I’ve perhaps touched upon how shite I think it all is (which I said I wouldn’t do), but I think those are pertinent enough points and important questions in the bigger picture and when it pertains to considering how best it is to answer the first question anyway.

If you’re still awake after all of that, what are your thoughts?
Nevermind the UK I post on cricketweb a forum with a lot of Indian posters.

506 posts on the IPL thread so far since December(Guyanese poster most frequent) When the England Vs India series thread had 11,000 posts.

T20 has its place in world cricket, I can’t and won’t dispute that, but when an innings is taking close to two hours to complete as it does in this current version and they’re taking tactical and strategic timeouts AND even having a f*cking drinks break after ten overs - it’s sort of losing the entire point of what it was meant to be in the first place. It’s becoming ever so closer to being baseball. I’m sure most of us have played midweek club games where we’ve completed the entire thing in less time than it takes the Bangalore Bullshitters to bowl their 20 overs.
Bengaluru Bullshitters now, of course, seemingly ;)

and if 'gizajob' Bostock gets his way, we might end up being the Bernicia Bullshitters in a few years time

Last edited:
I am 52 years old and watched cricket for about 45 years, from constantly watching my club side, to international cricket and before it was even thought off at the top level, absolutely loved watching my club side play 20 over cup cricket, and when I played loved playing it too.

Maybe it was because that club side was very successful or because I loved the format who knows, but enjoyed it then and enjoy it now.

The IPL with the best players in the world playing a format I have always loved stands to reason I will very much enjoy it which I do.

Watch a lot of it, do every year, have a couple of bets on teams to win the competition and throughly enjoy it!

Last edited:
I am 52 years old and watched cricket for about 45 years, from constantly watching my club side, to international cricket and before it was even thought off at the top level, absolutely loved watching my club side play 20 over cup cricket, and when I played loved playing it too.

Maybe it was because that club side was very successful or because I loved the format who knows, but enjoyed it then and enjoy it now.

The IPL with the best players in the world playing a format I have always loved stands to reason I will very much enjoy it which I do.

Watch a lot of it, do every year, have a couple of bets on teams to win the competition and throughly enjoy it!
So just to clarify mate, do you enjoy it? ;)

Like all t20 competitions it has become to long. I know its all about money but it started with our t20 being ridiculously extended from what it began as then the IPL and the big bash takee an age. The best version at the moment is the South African version which is over in 3 weeks.
Our competition should be more like it was 20 years ago a short festival of cricket mid summer and thats it.

Like all t20 competitions it has become to long. I know its all about money but it started with our t20 being ridiculously extended from what it began as then the IPL and the big bash takee an age. The best version at the moment is the South African version which is over in 3 weeks.
Our competition should be more like it was 20 years ago a short festival of cricket mid summer and thats it.
It’s always difficult to get the balance right with these things when they popular and the IPL has undoubtedly become too long.

Our competition whichever format it is preferably T20 should imo be in a window in the summer for all to enjoy which The Hundred is to a certain extent, but other well documented issues with that which could be talked about all day.

What I love with the IPL is the amount of enjoyment everyone involved seems to have with that particular competition.

Everyone in the ground for example seem to be having a wonderful time which is great to see and what sport should be about imo.

Slightly changing the subject but had debate the other day about swearing at the Sunderland match and one poster said to me, that is what going to match is about swearing and venting all your anger while you there!

I thought what a sad way to view watching a sports game.

Surely going to watch a sport whatever sport that maybe is all about going to enjoy yourself, god knows people pay enough money to watch nowadays

And without a shadow of a doubt fans at IPL games seem to be having a wonderful time and throughly enjoy themselves think that great to see personally.

Last edited:
I'm as interested in it as I am the PPL, CPL, SAPL, BB, 16.4, whatever leagues they have in Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Bangladesh, and the Scottish T10. Social media algorithms and the annual media blitz mean I'm aware of it, but I honestly couldn't tell you all the teams nor which players have been rented by which franchises.

It's the same players serving up the same dishes, just in different coloured clothes.

They can review no balls and wides as well now. No idea how many reviews they get as I only noticed it when it was on the other day.

Back