UK interest in the IPL

Cheers pal, glad you’re still following me round like a lost little puppy.

Love to the family x

Don't flatter yourself. First time I've quoted you for months. Amongst all the madness of pure football, especially after a defeat I reckon this side of the forum is the most poisonous nowadays thanks to you and a couple of others. Yous simply can't respond to posters respectfully. No matter what part of the forum you are on you come over as an absolute weapon. The tone of your posts are horrible. Like I said a proper keyboard warrior

You deserve to be called a knacker because you are a knacker and here you are at it again, you didn’t get called a knacker because you like the IPL. You get called a knacker because you consistently ignore what people are saying to you so that you can meander off in a totally different direction with your reply. You consistently put words into people’s mouths, twisting what they’ve said and/or attempt to give the perception that they’ve said something completely different to what they have actually said - just like you’ve done there with your response to me. It’s as if you’re living in a different universe.

If you’re going to slaver on like a victim, dripping on as if you’ve been harshly treat - atleast be truthful about what people have actually said you you. Don’t twist their words and play the victim. At no point in this thread have I attacked you or anyone else for liking T20 cricket. So you can go forth and multiply with that snide little attempt at getting me into bother.

I’ll spell it out again in big writing so you can’t miss it:

I wasn’t calling you a knacker because you like the IPL.
f***ing hell man, I should better than trying to politely debate with you.

I don’t see myself as a victim in the slightest just simply putting across a view all be it different from yours 99 out 100 times on nearly every subject

Should have learnt that lesson a long time ago trying to debate with you politely is impossible and every time ends up like this simply because eventually you resort to type as can’t respect an opposing view
I don’t want to get you into bother as although disagree with most of your views I respect you have them, you would do well to respect mine.

Without feeling the need to descend to name calling but I am probably asking too much there

Last edited:
Don't flatter yourself. First time I've quoted you for months.

You’ve barely posted on this forum all winter, yet you’ve managed to find something I’ve said to come out of hibernation to respond.

Funny that. Ironic even.

Amongst all the madness of pure football, especially after a defeat I reckon this side of the forum is the most poisonous nowadays thanks to you and a couple of others.

It doesn’t even come close, the Politics forum is far worst than this forum but it’s still light years behind PF.

Yous simply can't respond to posters respectfully. No matter what part of the forum you are on you come over as an absolute weapon. The tone of your posts are horrible.

I respond to 99% of posts on here respectfully, I take issue with people when they intentionally twist the words of others in order to belittle their opinion - that’s what VOFP did and does on a regular basis, they’ve been doing it for years and ignored hundreds of posts calling them out over those years, but like those hundred other times they once again have the right of reply, they don’t need others to fight their battles for them. You’re not the white knight you’d love to believe you are.

Like I said a proper keyboard warrior

Pot and kettle sweetheart, you consistently follow me around this site, across the various subforums to jump on any little thing I say which you feel you can gain ground on. Your obsession with how I voted in the EU referendum twinned with your constant attacks on me around that particular vote - if then when it has absolutely nothing to do with the post I’ve made or the thread I’ve replied to is the exact definition of a keyboard warrior.

Every single time you’ve ever quoted me has been to launch a personal attack. I genuinely can’t remember a single time where you’ve responded to one of my posts respectfully.

Might be worth taking a closer look at yourself before you throw any stones. Or perhaps you revel in being a keyboard warrior?

Either way, I and most of the other decent cricket lovers will continue to converse and debate cricket on here totally oblivious to what it is you’re saying or where you are at. Whilst you’ll continue to follow me around waiting to pounce.

I’m off out for a run this morning if you fancy it? Let me know and I’ll tell you what route I’m doing 😘
f***ing hell man, I should better than trying to politely debate with you.

It isn’t polite to twist people’s words, nor is it polite to completely ignore what has been put to you so that you can meander off in a completely different direction insinuating that something has been said that it hasn’t.

Should have learnt that lesson a long time ago trying to debate with you politely is impossible and every time ends up like this

If you want ‘polite debate’ then respond directly to what has been put to you. Don’t twist peoples words.

You’re dead right, you ‘should have learnt that lesson a long time ago’, because for YEARS AND YEARS now you’ve been doing this exact same act of taking something someone has said to you, completely ignoring what they’ve said and responding in a way that you prefer to respond which in no way touches on the points made to you.

It’s impossible to debate with someone who doesn’t actually address what has been said to them or asked of them.

It’s like pulling teeth. Every single thread you come on is like living in an alternative universe. It reminds me of that Two Ronnie’s Mastermind Sketch where they answer the question before last, except atleast in that sketch the correct question is responded to eventually. With you it takes four or five attempts sometimes to get an answer, before posters realise you simply aren’t going to give an answer to the actual question that was asked.
A good T20 full house match between Yorkshire and Lancashire is great watch and entertainment.

However the same match between other two sides in a different country in a packed house is also a T20 match.

Struggle with that logic and a tad disrespectful to say a T20 match is this country is a ‘ great watch’ but just repetitive if in another?
Here’s another example, which this time you’re responding to a different poster.

I knew EXACTLY what @MustardAndOnions was saying, I understood their point perfectly.

Your reply is just nonsense pal 🤷‍♂️ another complete wordsoup which doesn’t say a single thing at all in response or opposition to what MAO said.

Last edited:
You’ve barely posted on this forum all winter, yet you’ve managed to find something I’ve said to come out of hibernation to respond.

Funny that. Ironic even.

It doesn’t even come close, the Politics forum is far worst than this forum but it’s still light years behind PF.

I respond to 99% of posts on here respectfully, I take issue with people when they intentionally twist the words of others in order to belittle their opinion - that’s what VOFP did and does on a regular basis, they’ve been doing it for years and ignored hundreds of posts calling them out over those years, but like those hundred other times they once again have the right of reply, they don’t need others to fight their battles for them. You’re not the white knight you’d love to believe you are.

Pot and kettle sweetheart, you consistently follow me around this site, across the various subforums to jump on any little thing I say which you feel you can gain ground on. Your obsession with how I voted in the EU referendum twinned with your constant attacks on me around that particular vote - if then when it has absolutely nothing to do with the post I’ve made or the thread I’ve replied to is the exact definition of a keyboard warrior.

Every single time you’ve ever quoted me has been to launch a personal attack. I genuinely can’t remember a single time where you’ve responded to one of my posts respectfully.

Might be worth taking a closer look at yourself before you throw any stones. Or perhaps you revel in being a keyboard warrior?

Either way, I and most of the other decent cricket lovers will continue to converse and debate cricket on here totally oblivious to what it is you’re saying or where you are at. Whilst you’ll continue to follow me around waiting to pounce.

I’m off out for a run this morning if you fancy it? Let me know and I’ll tell you what route I’m doing 😘

It isn’t polite to twist people’s words, nor is it polite to completely ignore what has been put to you so that you can meander off in a completely different direction insinuating that something has been said that it hasn’t.

If you want ‘polite debate’ then respond directly to what has been put to you. Don’t twist peoples words.

You’re dead right, you ‘should have learnt that lesson a long time ago’, because for YEARS AND YEARS now you’ve been doing this exact same act of taking something someone has said to you, completely ignoring what they’ve said and responding in a way that you prefer to respond which in no way touches on the points made to you.

It’s impossible to debate with someone who doesn’t actually address what has been said to them or asked of them.

It’s like pulling teeth. Every single thread you come on is like living in an alternative universe. It reminds me of that Two Ronnie’s Mastermind Sketch where they answer the question before last, except atleast in that sketch the correct question is responded to eventually. With you it takes four or five attempts sometimes to get an answer, before posters realise you simply aren’t going to give an answer to the actual question that was asked.

Here’s another example, which this time you’re responding to a different poster.

I knew EXACTLY what @MustardAndOnions was saying, I understood their point perfectly.

Your reply is just nonsense pal 🤷‍♂️ another complete wordsoup which doesn’t say a single thing at all in response or opposition to what MAO said.
It clearly addressed his point, he clearly stated Yorkshire and Lancashire T20 match in a packed house was ‘ a great watch’ because it meant something.

Reading between the lines he is meaning to those fans supporting those sides and the traditional behind it means for them particularly fans it’s a big match and they enjoy it which is completely fair enough.

My point was a match in the IPL could mean just as much to those fans and they could enjoy it just as much, just because the first match has had a longer tradition and played in this country doesn’t necessarily mean it means more to those fans then fans of sides in the IPL.
Like I said in the reply to him, who are we to judge what means more to a fan than another

Last edited:
Is there much?

I’m talking merely from a fans perspective here, not about how many UK produced players are involved, but I wanted to have the discussion really - I noted on the County Cricket thread that there’s barely been any mention of the upcoming county season on the various podcast outlets that cover ‘frontline’ cricket. Not yet anyway. There were however IPL preview episodes on all of them. Now I’ve got very little interest in it so I didn’t bother listening, my interest would’ve risen ever so slightly if Durham had any players involved, but I don’t really care very much about it, being brutally honest. I imagine though, that there were fewer listeners for them than there would be for a standard days reporting of Test Cricket.

I don’t intend this as an anti-IPL thread, nor even an anti-BCCI thread, most people will know what my feelings are already about that, but is there that much interest across our nation for the IPL?? Outside of the normal cricketing public, or aside from even the British Indian community? I get that there’s interest in India.

It’s on Sky, but so was the PSL (as are various other cricketing mediums) and I did watch quite a bit of that. I enjoyed it, I always do enjoy watching cricket from Pakistan, I love the vibrancy of the crowds and I suppose I’ve got a heightened sense of appreciation when watching it which stems from the sentiment of being able to watch cricket from there again, following their previous ban. It did seem to be far more organic however, than the IPL, which I’ll probably always have a lot of hostility towards for well documented reasons.

I know we’re just a small microcosm of the cricketing public on here, but there doesn’t seem so much interest in franchise cricket as a whole, maybe we aren’t the target audience after all 🤷‍♂️

T20 has its place in world cricket, I can’t and won’t dispute that, but when an innings is taking close to two hours to complete as it does in this current version and they’re taking tactical and strategic timeouts AND even having a f*cking drinks break after ten overs - it’s sort of losing the entire point of what it was meant to be in the first place. It’s becoming ever so closer to being baseball. I’m sure most of us have played midweek club games where we’ve completed the entire thing in less time than it takes the Bangalore Bullshitters to bowl their 20 overs.

So is it really the all conquering answer to the future of world cricket? I’m sure the players appreciate the huge paychecks, it’s created a band of mercenary cricketers (and who can blame them?) who simply travel the world for twelve months every year earning enough money so that they never have to work a proper job for the rest of their (or their families lives) once the gravy eventually runs out or they’re too old to board the train. The IPL in itself won’t cure the ills of world cricket, it may not even cure the ills of Indian cricket, but of course that’s why every country now has its own version and whether you or I agree or not with how best to pursue that option, every nation tries to do it as best as they can in order to maximise as best they can the amount of gravy they can extract from it.

I concede I’ve drifted a little from the original question, I concede too that I’ve perhaps touched upon how shite I think it all is (which I said I wouldn’t do), but I think those are pertinent enough points and important questions in the bigger picture and when it pertains to considering how best it is to answer the first question anyway.

If you’re still awake after all of that, what are your thoughts?
As someone that's played in the DNECL for 17-18 years (juniors included) and someone that loves Test Cricket this IPL league is by far the best entertainment of Cricket in the World...and by far the best standard of Franchise league, by some distance too. Aye it can be a little too long a season but by far my #1 Cricket watch bar the Ashes

A good T20 full house match between Yorkshire and Lancashire is great watch and entertainment.

However the same match between other two sides in a different country in a packed house is also a T20 match.

Struggle with that logic and a tad disrespectful to say a T20 match is this country is a ‘ great watch’ but just repetitive if in another?
I am pretty sure the 100k who watch the IPL final think that means something and is a ‘ great watch’

Who are we to say what means more to one individual that to another

I don’t know why your style of posting has to descend to name calling simply because I enjoy the IPL and very much enjoy watching the IPL.

I fully respect other peoples view that they may prefer championship cricket for example you would do well to respect others who may enjoy the IPL.

I don’t say the need and do not come on here having a go at it constantly as respect others enjoy it.

Where others seem to be constantly having a go at either T20 or The Hundred

A good game of T20 by between two village sides, two county sides, or two IPL sides is a good game of cricket.

I don’t particularly have to support a certain side to enjoy it as love cricket and enjoy a good game whoever the sides maybe

It isn't.

As it is just 2 teams who created by a businessman a couple of years ago with no history or fanbase.

It isn't.

As it is just 2 teams who created by a businessman a couple of years ago with no history or fanbase.
So then just for a clarity a good game of T20 cricket between two sides is not a good game if the team has been going 10 years or so but is a good game if a team and has been going longer and has more of a history?
As someone that's played in the DNECL for 17-18 years (juniors included) and someone that loves Test Cricket this IPL league is by far the best entertainment of Cricket in the World...and by far the best standard of Franchise league, by some distance too. Aye it can be a little too long a season but by far my #1 Cricket watch bar the Ashes
That is exactly my thoughts too mate.

I love test cricket too and The Ashes always number one.

But have always loved T20 too and find the IPL terrific entertainment and a great watch and I have watched cricket over 45 years.

Last edited:

I disagree on that point, so many world class players aren’t playing due to international commitments or because India doesn’t like their country.

A World Cup will always be better in my view.

I disagree on that point, so many world class players aren’t playing due to international commitments or because India doesn’t like their country.

A World Cup will always be better in my view.
Guess the question there then, is if the Pakistan players were allowed to play and other cricketers mentioned would you agree that it probably would be great entertainment and a great watch?

And good to see all the best players in the world together for one competition played in front of big crowds.

Last edited:

Funny that. Ironic even.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

So then just for a clarity a good game of T20 cricket between two sides is not a good game if the team has been going 10 years or so but is a good game if a team and has been going longer and has more of a history?

That is exactly my thoughts too mate.

I love test cricket too and The Ashes always number one.

But have always loved T20 too and find the IPL terrific entertainment and a great watch and I have watched cricket over 45 years.

Yeah I think so. Isn’t that fair? I think that is what sport is about, rivalry, history, hatred (in a sporting sense). I don’t think that’s controversial is it?

The IPl clearly has a place. Albeit I don’t watch it, not my style

But all the other ones are nonsense in my opinion.

Yeah I think so. Isn’t that fair? I think that is what sport is about, rivalry, history, hatred (in a sporting sense). I don’t think that’s controversial is it?

The IPl clearly has a place. Albeit I don’t watch it, not my style

But all the other ones are nonsense in my opinion.
Not for me I genuinely think sport is there to be enjoyed first and foremost.

I certainly don’t think sport is about hatred!

I do get a lot of fans hate other fans but genuinely struggle why as most of the time they doing exactly the same as them supporting their local team.

I get fans been passionate about their own team but have always not liked hating another team or a fan of another team simply because they support another cricket or football team

I think however long a particular team has been going in any sport it’s bit disrespectful to say to fans of that team it doesn’t mean as much to you as it does to a supporter of a team that has been going for longer?
When Durham became a first class county there would have attracted new fans who did not watch them while they were a minor county.

It would be unfair to say to those fans in them first years your team doesn’t mine as much to you as Yorkshire because you have only been a first class county for a small time.
I personally like to see sport fans throughly enjoying themselves at a game and enjoying the atmosphere and spectacle rather than been wrapped up in any hatred

Last edited:
I sometimes follow the scorecards, just to see how names I know are doing.

I can't watch T20 really, not out of some like stubborn prinicpal, its just too repetitive.

I still think the absolute best games are in the blast, like Yorkshire v Lancashire, packed house, has meaning to it and is a great watch.
Ditto on first part.

Nail on head on second part. Why I don't really watch the IPL. Only so much T20 I can enjoy. Not blowing my load before the World Cup/Blast.

Third bit contradicts the second part. I wouldn't say Blast is any better, just like me you could care less who wins in the IPL/BBL/SA20 etc but your invested in counties to an extent so your enjoyment is up. I wanted somerset to win finals day so enjoyed it more, but if they'd lost to Surrey in the semis I'd have not cared that much.

Never watched a single game and never will. I'd feel dirty if I did.

Enjoy the PSL though, but the whole franchise thing is getting a bit boring now especially with the IPL teams taking over entire leagues in other countries, eg SA and USA.

Back