UK interest in the IPL

Apparently 111m watched on opening day of IPL 2024.

In a supposedly cricket mad country with a population of 1,425,775,850 I don’t think that’s particularly great. It’s less than 8% of the country.

It’s also around 12 million fewer than who watched the Super Bowl. To compare percentages, it’s a smaller percentage of their country than we had for Great British Bake Off in 2023.

Apparently 111m watched on opening day of IPL 2024.
What's that, about 7-8% of the 1.5 billion people in India?

Percentage wise, about the same as the number of people who watch Coronation Street in the UK.
In a supposedly cricket mad country with a population of 1,425,775,850 I don’t think that’s particularly great. It’s less than 8% of the country.

It’s also around 12 million fewer than who watched the Super Bowl. To compare percentages, it’s a smaller percentage of their country than we had for Great British Bake Off in 2023.
Jinx!

Just need Ravi Shastri to claim that every single person on the planet was watching.

Last edited:
Just need Ravi Shastri to claim that every single person on the planet was watching.

Don’t get me started on the ridiculous exaggerations from giddy IPL commentators. KP (I know :rolleyes:) was trying to claim that Kohli is the greatest finisher in the World. What’s he won?? He’s not even the greatest finisher in his country OR the competition.

Errmmmm. There might be a quite a lot of people in India who don't have the wherewithall?? And errmmmm the Superbowl is the biggest live event in the worlds biggest economy?

Aside from that first world centric clunker. The answer to the question, does anyone care about the IPL, it's yes, lots.
What's that, about 7-8% of the 1.5 billion people in India?

Percentage wise, about the same as the number of people who watch Coronation Street in the UK.
See below.

Errmmmm. There might be a quite a lot of people in India who don't have the wherewithall?? And errmmmm the Superbowl is the biggest live event in the worlds biggest economy?

Aside from that first world centric clunker. The answer to the question, does anyone care about the IPL, it's yes, lots.

See below.
Yes, there are a huge number if people in India so a relatively modest % figure equates to eye watering numbers.

It just shows the folly of trying to copy the model. That's always been the point, people who say we need to compete with the IPL are living in a fantasy land.
Don’t get me started on the ridiculous exaggerations from giddy IPL commentators. KP (I know :rolleyes:) was trying to claim that Kohli is the greatest finisher in the World. What’s he won?? He’s not even the greatest finisher in his country OR the competition.
Everything is amazing, all of the time. Dissenters won't work in cricket media ever again.

Last edited:
@Voice of fair play probably creamed himself
Sorry for enjoying it mate, like a million others, your insults just wash straight over my head.

You enjoy what you like, I will watch what I like.
I do find it quite amusing the same T20 game of cricket is good when played by Durham or Surrey for example.

But if played in another part of the world and a team has a silly name after the city, it’s of sudden not very good.

When it’s exactly the same game played by 22 players on a pitch 22 yards long
So, just to clarify. There might be a disparity between the ability to access broadcast or streamed media in developed western economies vs large parts of the Indian population?
It’s clear it’s popular, it’s clear the atmosphere in the grounds are good and all enjoy themselves and the tournament is a total success, but a angle will always be found to criticize because it’s not played by a county in England.

If the exact same players were playing in a game between Durham and Lancashire the very same posters having a go would be enjoying it and praising it

Last edited:
So, just to clarify. There might be a disparity between the ability to access broadcast or streamed media in developed western economies vs large parts of the Indian population?

There might be, or it might just not be as gargantuan as the happy clappers would have us believe.
I do find it quite amusing the same T20 game of cricket is good when played by Durham or Surrey for example.

But if played in another part of the world and a team has a silly name after the city, it’s of sudden not very good.

Literally nobody on here is saying it’s ‘not very good’ you hysterical knacker.
It’s clear it’s popular, it’s clear the atmosphere in the grounds are good and all enjoy themselves and the tournament is a total success, but a angle will always be found to criticize because it’s not played by a county in England.

If the exact same players were playing in a game between Durham and Lancashire the very same posters having a go would be enjoying it and praising it

More hysterical wordsoup.

Last edited:
I sometimes follow the scorecards, just to see how names I know are doing.

I can't watch T20 really, not out of some like stubborn prinicpal, its just too repetitive.

I still think the absolute best games are in the blast, like Yorkshire v Lancashire, packed house, has meaning to it and is a great watch.

I can't watch T20 really, not out of some like stubborn prinicpal, its just too repetitive.

You’re so right about repetitive, I think the problem is that they’re instantly forgettable in 99% of cases.

The same can’t be said of red ball cricket. Every single Test* in the 2005 Ashes for example was an absolute epic. Each day even had its own immense script.

I can recall certain Durham games going back 20 years that’ve been fantastic too and where I could describe specific sessions of play to almost over by over descriptions - not just games which were key in seasons where we were successful either, often just random games in a season I’d been to. Even games that I didn’t see much of, but followed from work or home but took in enough of the coverage.

*whey, maybe Tests 2 to 5 ;).

You’re so right about repetitive, I think the problem is that they’re instantly forgettable in 99% of cases.

The same can’t be said of red ball cricket. Every single Test* in the 2005 Ashes for example was an absolute epic. Each day even had its own immense script.

I can recall certain Durham games going back 20 years that’ve been fantastic too and where I could describe specific sessions of play to almost over by over descriptions - not just games which were key in seasons where we were successful either, often just random games in a season I’d been to. Even games that I didn’t see much of, but followed from work or home but took in enough of the coverage.

*whey, maybe Tests 2 to 5 ;).

I agree. I think you can put last year's ashes with it too, that is the most dramatic series for me certainly since 2005, was amazing.

Cricket is a good game but the longer it goes on the more time you have for it to swing back and forward.

There is no real drama in a T20 game really, even if its like a last ball decider or whatever, its only been happenin for a few hours so just doesnt feel the dramatic

I sometimes follow the scorecards, just to see how names I know are doing.

I still think the absolute best games are in the blast, like Yorkshire v Lancashire, packed house, has meaning to it and is a great watch.
A good T20 full house match between Yorkshire and Lancashire is great watch and entertainment.

However the same match between other two sides in a different country in a packed house is also a T20 match.

Struggle with that logic and a tad disrespectful to say a T20 match is this country is a ‘ great watch’ but just repetitive if in another?
I am pretty sure the 100k who watch the IPL final think that means something and is a ‘ great watch’

Who are we to say what means more to one individual that to another
There might be, or it might just not be as gargantuan as the happy clappers would have us believe.

Literally nobody on here is saying it’s ‘not very good’ you hysterical knacker.

More hysterical wordsoup.
I don’t know why your style of posting has to descend to name calling simply because I enjoy the IPL and very much enjoy watching the IPL.

I fully respect other peoples view that they may prefer championship cricket for example you would do well to respect others who may enjoy the IPL.

I don’t say the need and do not come on here having a go at it constantly as respect others enjoy it.

Where others seem to be constantly having a go at either T20 or The Hundred

A good game of T20 by between two village sides, two county sides, or two IPL sides is a good game of cricket.

I don’t particularly have to support a certain side to enjoy it as love cricket and enjoy a good game whoever the sides maybe

Last edited:
I don’t know why your style of posting has to descend to name calling simply because I enjoy the IPL and very much enjoy watching the IPL.

You deserve to be called a knacker because you are a knacker and here you are at it again, you didn’t get called a knacker because you like the IPL. You get called a knacker because you consistently ignore what people are saying to you so that you can meander off in a totally different direction with your reply. You consistently put words into people’s mouths, twisting what they’ve said and/or attempt to give the perception that they’ve said something completely different to what they have actually said - just like you’ve done there with your response to me. It’s as if you’re living in a different universe.

If you’re going to slaver on like a victim, dripping on as if you’ve been harshly treat - atleast be truthful about what people have actually said you you. Don’t twist their words and play the victim. At no point in this thread have I attacked you or anyone else for liking T20 cricket. So you can go forth and multiply with that snide little attempt at getting me into bother.

I’ll spell it out again in big writing so you can’t miss it:

I wasn’t calling you a knacker because you like the IPL.

Last edited:

Back