Type 1 Diabetes

Whatever you do don’t get trained up by Beryl from Sacriston surgery, she’s a f***ing butcher when it comes to taking bloods and giving injections!

I know this is completely irrelevant but hey ho, thought I’d share anyway.

Is this Beryl into wearing Rubber and Latex gloves etc? as i love a bit of pain now and then :lol::lol:

Is this Beryl into wearing Rubber and Latex gloves etc? as i love a bit of pain now and then :lol::lol:
She is!!!:lol: 4ft11, been there for years, loved having a bit of crack but is shit at needles! She’ll cater for all your pain desires!:lol:

My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes yesterday after being ill for quite a while. He's started to self administer his insulin and work out his carbs straight away and seems extremely positive. I've got to go into hospital on Friday so they can watch me inject him and train me up to look after him.

I'm shitting myself having to stick a needle into my own son. I'm not keen on needles to start with and nearly passed out in the pub when he was telling me what he had to do :oops:.

Has anyone got any experience of type 1 diabetes?
Had it nearly 30 years. Was diagnosed when I was 4, lost loads of weight and then went to hospital and was diagnosed with it.

I have been brought up knowing all about it so it is second nature to me. The main positive (I know it doesn't seem like it now) is that he has been diagnosed at a time where diabetes treatment and tools are at their best. There are devices now that you can stick to your arm instead of pricking your finger, close to being on the NHS.

The most important part to diabetes treatment is memory. I am fine but if I forget to do my insulin (4 times a day) at a certain time it can cock my figures up. Just be vigilant and try and see if he has any main symptoms when he drops below 4 in blood glucose meter reading. I get very tired and sweat loads so I know I am having a hypo.

Lucozade is your new best mate also!

Had it nearly 30 years. Was diagnosed when I was 4, lost loads of weight and then went to hospital and was diagnosed with it.

I have been brought up knowing all about it so it is second nature to me. The main positive (I know it doesn't seem like it now) is that he has been diagnosed at a time where diabetes treatment and tools are at their best. There are devices now that you can stick to your arm instead of pricking your finger, close to being on the NHS.

The most important part to diabetes treatment is memory. I am fine but if I forget to do my insulin (4 times a day) at a certain time it can cock my figures up. Just be vigilant and try and see if he has any main symptoms when he drops below 4 in blood glucose meter reading. I get very tired and sweat loads so I know I am having a hypo.

Lucozade is your new best mate also!
When he went into hospital his bloods were 36 which I'm assuming is very high.

Has anyone got any experience of type 1 diabetes?
the current mrs errant (no) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was early teens, she's pushing 40 now. its really no big change to your life style if you keep good control of your levels. the only problems she has is that when carb counting, getting it wrong and giving too much insulin meaning her levels drop too low - however long term its better if her levels are low, rather than high.

i tend to know before she does when her blood sugar levels are dropping low though, i'll often give her a dig to check and she needs a few lucazade tablets to bring it back up. it hasnt stopped her from doing anything in life.

the big change for us in recent times is that she volunteered to use a insulin pump, rather than the epi-pen. its been a big improvement to her control as the background insulin (the night time injection) is controlled all day so you in theory get less spikes and just need to worry about carb intake. she tends to get jumpy about been unhooked for too long (swimming\shower etc), but the benefits of using have been very positive.

in the last 17 years there were only two occasions where i was unable to bring her round and needed the NHS to help out, both 10+ years ago and manly because her blood level wouldnt come above 2 after 30 minutes of me force feeding sugar tabs down her partially comatosed neck...

when she was first diagnosed in her teens, they said there would be a cure for diabetes by the time she was 30! that didnt come to pass, but control is a lot easier these days. some interested developments with fitbit style wrist bands to monitor your levels, or even reactive tattoos depending on the BS.

When he went into hospital his bloods were 36 which I'm assuming is very high.
shouldn't be above 8 or 9 ideally...

I really can't praise the diabetes team at Sunderland.
stuff like this that reminds you why the NHS is so precious...

Last edited:
the current mrs errant (no) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was early teens, she's pushing 40 now. its really no big change to your life style if you keep good control of your levels. the only problems she has is that when carb counting, getting it wrong and giving too much insulin meaning her levels drop too low - however long term its better if her levels are low, rather than high.

i tend to know before she does when her blood sugar levels are dropping low though, i'll often give her a dig to check and she needs a few lucazade tablets to bring it back up. it hasnt stopped her from doing anything in life.

the big change for us in recent times is that she volunteered to use a insulin pump, rather than the epi-pen. its been a big improvement to her control as the background insulin (the night time injection) is controlled all day so you in theory get less spikes and just need to worry about carb intake. she tends to get jumpy about been unhooked for too long (swimming\shower etc), but the benefits of using have been very positive.

in the last 17 years there were only two occasions where i was unable to bring her round and needed the NHS to help out, both 10+ years ago and manly because her blood level wouldnt come above 2 after 30 minutes of me force feeding sugar tabs down her partially comatosed neck...

when she was first diagnosed in her teens, they said there would be a cure for diabetes by the time she was 30! that didnt come to pass, but control is a lot easier these days. some interested developments with fitbit style wrist bands to monitor your levels, or even reactive tattoos depending on the BS.

I did mean to say enough in that sentence! They are a great team

My son has chosen not to have the pump so he's got the epi-pens. Theyre teaching him how to work it with his football etc.

Yeah he would have had keytones probably were they check his urine for protein or something, can't remember as only happened to me when I was really ill when younger with flu.

If you need any help or answer to any queries just message me on here.
I will thanks.

The NHS is one of the best things about our country

good luck... its a learning experience - the body & the way it consumes insulin is a bizarre thing.
I haven't actually seen him since he has been diagnosed so not sure what to expect. He's been showing symptoms for around a year now and forget about how energetic he was. I hope he can get back to that. He's already noticed he's not drinking anyway near what he was.

Last edited:

Back