Type 1 Diabetes

My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes yesterday after being ill for quite a while. He's started to self administer his insulin and work out his carbs straight away and seems extremely positive. I've got to go into hospital on Friday so they can watch me inject him and train me up to look after him.

I'm shitting myself having to stick a needle into my own son. I'm not keen on needles to start with and nearly passed out in the pub when he was telling me what he had to do :oops:.

Has anyone got any experience of type 1 diabetes?

My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes yesterday after being ill for quite a while. He's started to self administer his insulin and work out his carbs straight away and seems extremely positive. I've got to go into hospital on Friday so they can watch me inject him and train me up to look after him.

I'm shitting myself having to stick a needle into my own son. I'm not keen on needles to start with and nearly passed out in the pub when he was telling me what he had to do :oops:.

You get used to it fairy fast getting into routine is key.

Yes I've got a friend with this. She only told her friends about it last year, she's had it since she was 18. It accounts for years of us all thinking she was drunk or in a pissy mood when it was simply a case of her not eating or taking her medication. She's her own worst enemy as she knows what to do but for some reason doesn't want to be controlled by it. If your lad stays on top of things I'm sure he'll be fine.

My sons friend has had it from birth. Once he got to teenage age, he's pretty much managed it himself. He knows what he can and can't eat and stuff like that. He's been here before and done his own injections and he's helped himself to food when he's felt wobbly. As long as he takes care, it's not really been much of a problem.

I used to be awful with blood tests. I had to lay down and felt really faint when they did them. After three pregnancies (rhesus negative so they take blood at every visit!) and now I'm on meds that require regular bloods for monitoring, I've had to man up! It's not been easy getting over it but I can sit up while they do it now. I've not watched them put the needle in yet, but I have managed to look while it was in my arm. It will take time, but you will probably get used to it.

My recollection is if it develops later in life ie not from birth it tends to be autoimmune related ie the bodies own autoimmune system attacking healthy tissue i'd imagine this will be the Pancreas as it is there that insulin is made.

Ive a good friend born with cystic fibrosis and he is now 50 so his diabetes was from birth he is still fit and active. I also believe for a child of 10 there will be significant lifestyle changes to be made regarding carbs sugars fast food and fizzy drinks etc and as he gets older Alcohol.

Hope he does well it and fingers crossed he learns quickly to live with it without any problems doing all the stuff kids do at that age.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/type-1-diabetes.1375385/#post-25757182

Maybe contact @beautiful liar see link above.

Sorry to hear that mate - hope you both manage it as best as you can.

My son was diagnosed at 16. He’s now coming up to 20. He’s away at university and doing welll.

Like your son, he took a positive approach will the support of the diabetes team at Sunderland.

Not sure where you are but the consultants and nursing team are brilliant and on hand day and night to help

My son was diagnosed at 16. He’s now coming up to 20. He’s away at university and doing welll.

Like your son, he took a positive approach will the support of the diabetes team at Sunderland.

Not sure where you are but the consultants and nursing team are brilliant and on hand day and night to help you.

Happy to help you with any questions you may have.

He will live a perfectly normal life but with a much greater focus on his health that’s all.

My son was diagnosed with Coeliacs shortly after so his diet management included carbs and gluten.

There’s loads of guides including phone apps etc to assist.

He will have bad days and will need your emotional support too. I suspect that will be the hardest thing to deal with when he needs it

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure where you are but the consultants and nursing team are brilliant and on hand day and night to help

Not sure where you are but the consultants and nursing team are brilliant and on hand day and night to help you.

Happy to help you with any questions you may have.

He will live a perfectly normal life but with a much greater focus on his health that’s all.

My son was diagnosed with Coeliacs shortly after so his diet management included carbs and gluten.

There’s loads of guides including phone apps etc to assist.

He will have bad days and will need your emotional support too. I suspect that will be the hardest thing to deal with when he needs it
Thanks for that. He's in Sunderland hospital at the minute and they've apparently been great. I'm working away so it's been difficult not to be with him but I'm travelling back on Thursday.
He's been playing football still despite not being well for almost a year. He first went to the doctors about it in August and was told it was just his age despite having all the classic symptoms. Its been hard watching him get weaker and weaker because he was always a strong thickset lad but now he's like a bag of bones.

A mate of mine has it, as does one of his kids.
Worst things is his mood swings although he does take himself off as he knows.

Seeing him self administer is never comfortable. Knowing he gets injections in his eye is even worse!

Thanks for that. He's in Sunderland hospital at the minute and they've apparently been great. I'm working away so it's been difficult not to be with him but I'm travelling back on Thursday.
He's been playing football still despite not being well for almost a year. He first went to the doctors about it in August and was told it was just his age despite having all the classic symptoms. Its been hard watching him get weaker and weaker because he was always a strong thickset lad but now he's like a bag of bones.

I really can't praise the diabetes team at Sunderland. The nutritionists and psychologists will all offer a wealth of support. Our nurse was called Ann and I still have her mobile number in my phone. My son is in Manchester and the level of support down there is no where as good. Your son will be well cared for I'm sure.

Whatever you do don’t get trained up by Beryl from Sacriston surgery, she’s a f***ing butcher when it comes to taking bloods and giving injections!

I know this is completely irrelevant but hey ho, thought I’d share anyway.

My Mother In Law has diabetes.

If I'm round there and she needs a shot of insulin I always volunteer to stick the needle in her arm, simple pleasures.

Back