Tyne Tunnel scrapping payment booths????

Are there still pay booths for vehicles on foreign plates ?
I never noticed: it certainly isn't well signposted. It would make sense to have this facility given that most traffic headed for the ports goes that way. Also, old fossils without mobiles/internet could scrabble around in their pockets to scrape together £2.50 in small change:).

I never noticed: it certainly isn't well signposted. It would make sense to have this facility given that most traffic headed for the ports goes that way. Also, old fossils without mobiles/internet could scrabble around in their pockets to scrape together £2.50 in small change:).

Often wondered if the boy racers in their Middle Eastern registered Ferraris and Lamborghinis get to drive around London for free in the summer?

Works in Sydney with the toll roads. \
They have it in Dublin too with the M50 anyway. I have driven through on UK plates and not bothered paying. They send you some letters to chase up but then give up.

Are there still pay booths for vehicles on foreign plates ?

No. Anyway post brexit no foreigners will ever want to come here anyway according to remoaners

Dart Charge and the London Congestion charge have worked pretty much perfectly on this system for years, with ANPR and direct debiting. Regular users open an account (and get a discount iirc). Occasional users pay on the net within 24 hours by card. If you register your card with them it only takes seconds. If you're a paranoid old git like me who doesn't volunarily give up card details, it takes a minute longer.
Either way, you rarely get queues at Dartford anymore. Also, the first time you forget, they let you off with a warning;).

Got to be a woosh surely

Before anyone starts, I don't believe this but here goes. Our lass was told by one of our neighbours that the Tyne Tunnel are going to scrap payment booths and the only way you will be able to go through is by pre-booking on the internet or getting a season ticket. This idea seems ridiculous for a number of reasons but I just wanted to check with the collective brain of the SMB to make sure I am not going insane!

Anyone heard anything??

It's the way forward. Speeds up the traffic flow

They have this on lots of toll roads in the USA. Pass only. No cash.

This @duff_man , but I avoid any travel in the rush hour/bank holidays etc. It's free after 10pm BTW. My favourite time to travel:).

I used to use it regularly for work. After lates and before earlies used to hit the free times.
Seeing the standard of peoples driving at 0558 in the morning to get across before 0600 was scary

Nah. :D Normal motorway speeds until the slow down for the tunnel/bridge maybe half a mile out. Never went less than 40.

Every morning and evening there are at least 2 miles, 9/10 it will be four to five miles

Last edited:
Works in Sydney with the toll roads. \
They have it in Dublin too with the M50 anyway. I have driven through on UK plates and not bothered paying. They send you some letters to chase up but then give up.
The company makes an absolute fortune from the fines for the Dublin M50, not the couple of euro fee. The standard M50 toll is €3.10 and must be paid before 8pm the following day or else there is a €3 penalty for having missed the deadline. You then have 14 days from the date of issue to pay for the journey and the initial penalty, otherwise a further penalty of €41 is applied. It then escalates exponentially. Mate at work phoned to challenge, they have a call centre in the UK, girl told him there were nearly 100 in the office processing fines all day.

I'd say the percentage of people who always have a phone on them is a hell of a lot higher than those who have the correct amount of change on them. Most young un's barely carry cash at all these days

Back