Tyne Tunnel scrapping payment booths????

Totally agree - I don't see why these projects are privately financed with us paying for it. Everyone needs roads, if some roads are more expensive than others, so be it. Nobody wants to drive to work on an "expensive" route, they just want to get there.
Should all be scrapped, and funded centrally

Slight improvement today, their website finally saves your credit card info, so from today, no more having to put it in manually every single time. Thank fuck!

They need to enact a new bylaw to be allowed to remove them. I expect they'd have more chance getting this done if the number plate cameras were already installed and proven to be working.

i thought that wasn't allowed anymore??

What isn't allowed anymore?

keeping your details. did it not all change recently?
rings a bell that was the reason given by safc for the way the ticketing procedure was changed, particularly the cup scheme direct debit. i might be wrong as the mrs sorts out all our away tickets and can't remember doing a dd for the cup scheme this year like.

keeping your details. did it not all change recently?
rings a bell that was the reason given by safc for the way the ticketing procedure was changed, particularly the cup scheme direct debit. i might be wrong as the mrs sorts out all our away tickets and can't remember doing a dd for the cup scheme this year like.
Not quite. They have to ask for consent to store data. They cannot assume consent anymore with an opt-out process as it was before.

Anyone been through on number plate recognition yet? Just updated my online account with the car reg but not massively confident in removing the permit from the windscreen, will have it to hand when the barrier fails to budge.

Anyone been through on number plate recognition yet? Just updated my online account with the car reg but not massively confident in removing the permit from the windscreen, will have it to hand when the barrier fails to budge.
Number plate recognition works fine. Remove the permit from the windscreen in case that confuses things.

I'm just going to keep me permit until they tell me otherwise. I have two vehicles so switch the permit from one to the other as needed. Unless they allow me two vehicles with one account.

Aye it's fine. Was through Monday. Took me permit out and had it in wallet, just in case, but no issues.

I'm just going to keep me permit until they tell me otherwise. I have two vehicles so switch the permit from one to the other as needed. Unless they allow me two vehicles with one account.
Hark at Johnny two cars here.

They do. Haven’t tried the 2nd car yet but both registered.

Twice a day since it was introduced. Had no problems.

You can have multiple cars on one account.

Yup, just register both in their site

Thought this would have been paid for by now? Why carry on charging?

Works in Sydney with the toll roads. \
They have it in Dublin too with the M50 anyway. I have driven through on UK plates and not bothered paying. They send you some letters to chase up but then give up.
You'll have interpol on yer case

Last edited:
Would it be possible to tailgate the person in front so it doesn't see your number plate?
somewhere like the thames crossing has multiple camera's at different points on the journey (as i understand it), it would take some impressive close call driving skills but could technically be done (ie. get towed thru)...

Back