Tweak the offside rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was correct but the question is should the rule be tweaked so that minute meaningless margins can be ignored.
Then you would need to define what is meaningless and what isn't.

You would make the decisions much harder for refs.

Bottom line is - if you're closer to the goal than the last man but one when the ball is played- you're offside.

If it's too close to call tgen you're level and it's onside.

Aguerro was 10 inches offside.

To be fair I saw a game last week (can’t remember for the life of me which) where the striker gets played in, gets his shot away and the keeper saves it. Sky TV then give it the replay whilst the lads are sorting out the corner and the comms are all like “Well he’s lucky we don’t have VAR to refer to, his forearm is just about offside there”.

HIS f***ing FOREARM. Fuck off man.

Then you would need to define what is meaningless and what isn't.

You would make the decisions much harder for refs.

Bottom line is - if you're closer to the goal than the last man but one when the ball is played- you're offside.

If it's too close to call tgen you're level and it's onside.

Aguerro was 10 inches offside.
No you wouldn’t. As you say yourself your would justo accept that there were margins which were ‘too close to call’ in open play if they weren’t spotted. Some you’d get, some you wouldn’t but the point is the distances of offside wouldn’t be gaining the player a material advantage so what is the point of the rule being enforced to that degree? It’s the rule itself that needs tweaking really.

As for Aguerro being 10 inches offside. First, how do you know without some kind of camera and second I’m not being funny but so what? The rule is being over-enforced where if it was left to the eyes of the officials and the margins were bigger no one would lose out. With the ‘daylight’ rule you wouldn’t suddenly get forwards getting a huge advantage.

As football fans we're generally contradictory bastards.

Had that tonight have been ruled out in our favour I'd have been applauding what a brilliant call it was. Had it had ruled out against us I'd have twisted how marginal it was and that VAR was bollocks and why wasn't the advantage given to the attacker?

Its tough, cause we agree when it goes for us but call blue murder when it doesn't.

I don't see the introduction of VAR changing fans views on the marginal calls.
100% this

To be fair I saw a game last week (can’t remember for the life of me which) where the striker gets played in, gets his shot away and the keeper saves it. Sky TV then give it the replay whilst the lads are sorting out the corner and the comms are all like “Well he’s lucky we don’t have VAR to refer to, his forearm is just about offside there”.

Another case of pundits not knowing the rules. For offside, it has to be a part of the body you can score with. By implication, not hand or arm, as that would be handball. VAR shouldn't overturn that if the referee knows the rules.

Agreed, I've been banging this drum for a while. They say we should favour the attacking team, this does it. Equally for a goal to be given the whole ball has to be over the line, whole ball has to be over the goal line for a goal kick, so it makes sense that the whole man has to be offside for that to be given. Plus I almost think some forget that it was only really brought in to prevent goal hanging. It does that even if the whole man has to be off, sick of seeing linesman criticised because a fraction of a players kneecap is offside, it's f***ing pointless

If any part of the body is level then it should be on side.
Agree the game needs to give advantage to the attacking team. Would also help the linesman or woman.

That's thick commentary, we don't need a rule change for that.

Rule is any part of the body a goal can be scored with. Forearm - or any part of the arm - does not therefore count.

Agreed, I've been banging this drum for a while. They say we should favour the attacking team, this does it. Equally for a goal to be given the whole ball has to be over the line, whole ball has to be over the goal line for a goal kick, so it makes sense that the whole man has to be offside for that to be given. Plus I almost think some forget that it was only really brought in to prevent goal hanging. It does that even if the whole man has to be off, sick of seeing linesman criticised because a fraction of a players kneecap is offside, it's f***ing pointless
Agreed, and especially the bit about goal hanging. I have seen someone given offside (I think it was against us a couple of years ago) because they were a couple of inches ahead of the defender in the 6 yard box during a goal mouth scramble.

The level I play at, we often don’t have linesmen so it is a case of someone being blatantly offside then it is a freekick, otherwise play on. Nobody dives about like a fanny either and it is amazing how much the game flows compared to top flight professional games.

5-a-side is frustrating when someone goal hangs though.

VAR will kill football.

It will creep more and more into the game.
It’s killing other sports like rugby and will kill the spontaneity of decision making in football.
I disagree about it killing rugby, they've got the balance right with that now. Showing it on the big screen, the ref being mic'd up and giving a clear indication of what he has seen on the field as the starting point for the TMO. The words "clear and obvious" being in the laws for marginal calls has meant that decisions aren't overturned unless that is the case.

I do agree that VAR in its current form will kill football, and the authorities could learn a lot from the way rugby uses it at the moment. Ref mics being broadcast should be the first step.

As football fans we're generally contradictory bastards.

Had that tonight have been ruled out in our favour I'd have been applauding what a brilliant call it was. Had it had ruled out against us I'd have twisted how marginal it was and that VAR was bollocks and why wasn't the advantage given to the attacker?

Its tough, cause we agree when it goes for us but call blue murder when it doesn't.

I don't see the introduction of VAR changing fans views on the marginal calls.
Was gonna write exactly the same.

It was correct but the question is should the rule be tweaked so that minute meaningless margins can be ignored.
If we want to allow any degree of error then what's the point in VAR at all.

Depends what you see the onus of offside being in favour of?

Technically Aguero is gaining an advantage by being in that position.

I personally hate VAR and I’m referring to the offside rule when applied by the linesman.

You are still going to get tight decisions either way, I think it's spot on now the offside rule, loads of young uns wanting to change the game these days, leave it as it is

It’s already spoiling the game we all love and will only get worse.
The spontaneity of celebrating a goal is dying as players and fans are second guessing while the refs check in their ear pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back