Tweak the offside rule?

Kid Galahad

Striker
Anyone with any soul can't have watched tonight and not felt a bit sorry for City, such a tight decision where there was no intention to 'cheat' being chalked off and under the current rules rightly so but why not just bring it in that if any part of your body is onside you are onside? Gives the advantage to the attacking team and would mean more goals and less ambiguity for a lot of decisions? Thought the powers that be were going in the right direction with the unofficial 'daylight' rule but seem to have gone in the opposite direction and it isn't for the good of the game imo, thoughts?

As football fans we're generally contradictory bastards.

Had that tonight have been ruled out in our favour I'd have been applauding what a brilliant call it was. Had it had ruled out against us I'd have twisted how marginal it was and that VAR was bollocks and why wasn't the advantage given to the attacker?

Its tough, cause we agree when it goes for us but call blue murder when it doesn't.

I don't see the introduction of VAR changing fans views on the marginal calls.

As football fans we're generally contradictory bastards.

Had that tonight have been ruled out in our favour I'd have been applauding what a brilliant call it was. Had it had ruled out against us I'd have twisted how marginal it was and that VAR was bollocks and why wasn't the advantage given to the attacker?

Its tough, cause we agree when it goes for us but call blue murder when it doesn't.

I don't see the introduction of VAR changing fans views on the marginal calls.
Changing the rules to my suggestion would eradicate a lot of the marginal stuff though and keep the supporters happy because it's far easier to see if someone is mostly onside rather than millimetres off , just seems a sensible option to me?

Changing the rules to my suggestion would eradicate a lot of the marginal stuff though and keep the supporters happy because it's far easier to see if someone is mostly onside rather than millimetres off , just seems a sensible option to me?

Aye with VAR its seems there needs to be a black and white with a decision otherwise fans will always twist that its down to the referees interpretation of it.

Felt for city but it was the correct decision.

This. Cannot get me head round people questioning it. Theres a match with millions of pounds on the line and a piece of technology has done what the linesman should have. Im not buying this shite either that it was so quick to the naked eye. There have been thousands of instances in the past where in the exact same spot the linesman has flagged and then media have had a wankathon over the linesmans high standard of officiating.

This. Cannot get me head round people questioning it. Theres a match with millions of pounds on the line and a piece of technology has done what the linesman should have. Im not buying this shite either that it was so quick to the naked eye. There have been thousands of instances in the past where in the exact same spot the linesman has flagged and then media have had a wankathon over the linesmans high standard of officiating.
Not arguing with that just that a slight rule change would improve the game for everyone (apart from defenders!) and hopefully means VAR has less impact on the game.

The officials missed Salomon Rondon and about 9 other Newcastle players, standing 5 yards each offside to score the winner v Everton the other week...
My other worry with VAR it gives officials something to hide behind and makes them poorer at their job, they still may have let that go knowing the safety net of VAR would clear it up eventually, I don't like that either.

Anyone with any soul can't have watched tonight and not felt a bit sorry for City, such a tight decision where there was no intention to 'cheat' being chalked off and under the current rules rightly so but why not just bring it in that if any part of your body is onside you are onside? Gives the advantage to the attacking team and would mean more goals and less ambiguity for a lot of decisions? Thought the powers that be were going in the right direction with the unofficial 'daylight' rule but seem to have gone in the opposite direction and it isn't for the good of the game imo, thoughts?

Agreed, I've been banging this drum for a while. They say we should favour the attacking team, this does it. Equally for a goal to be given the whole ball has to be over the line, whole ball has to be over the goal line for a goal kick, so it makes sense that the whole man has to be offside for that to be given. Plus I almost think some forget that it was only really brought in to prevent goal hanging. It does that even if the whole man has to be off, sick of seeing linesman criticised because a fraction of a players kneecap is offside, it's f***ing pointless

Makes sense to me. Using camera technology to zero in on inches of offsideness that has given no advantage whatsoever is not what the rule was invented for. Aguerro and City had gained nothing by his being offside by a margin so small the officials missed it.

Rules are rules.

Played defence all my life so this is a bit of a union call. But if Aguero is a little bit less lazy running back, then it's a goal.

Lazy strikers shouldn't whinge about the rules.

Let that be a lesson to all of them. Get onside.

Back