Tumble dryer fix needed

Could possibly be the latch on the door handle. Try pushing the door in a bit or get your fingers behind the handle thingy and make sure it's closing properly.

Had this problem with my mam's a while back. Easy fixed with a new handle or even just wedging a bit of cardboard or sommat behind the handle.

Of course, before your edit your post didnt say that.
Sorry?

What was your post was the question?,,, was it a mistype? Had to be...
Ok back to reality.

There was a massive recall on Hotpoint tumble dryers of a certain age. The op should really look at the recall data before any moves, a free new dryer could certainly be a possibility if he has one of the affected models.
Nice to know there's a Welsh presence on the board.
Hes clearly pissed.

Last edited:
Just moved into a new house and the tumble dryer won’t spin. The drum will move by hand. House been empty over a year so guess that’s done it. Anyway anyone know of anyone in Sunderland to fix these?

It’s a hot point condenser dryer.
You could use a hair dryer to blow hot air into the tumble dryer.

Or dry your clothes in a microwave oven?

Get a fire extinguisher installed .
Ours went up 6 weeks ago when we were in the house , ruined the Utility room in minutes
Won't be back in till mid April at the earliest.
Moving around like a bunch of pikeys.

Sorry?

What was your post was the question?,,, was it a mistype? Had to be...
Ok back to reality.

There was a massive recall on Hotpoint tumble dryers of a certain age. The op should really look at the recall data before any moves, a free new dryer could certainly be a possibility if he has one of the affected models.

Hes clearly pissed.
So you don't recall the edit? Just own it instead trying to take the piss.
And “What was your post was the question?” needs another edit. (Unless thats already been done by the time I respond)
A simple google with the serial number, and a simple youtube search would show potential solutions quicker than asking on here. Especially if his model was recalled.
My suggested troubleshoot & its solution was, I think, reasonable in the circumstances.
Sober as a judge your honour.

It is mad how people just bin stuff off without getting it fixed, or replace perfectly good stuff mind. I remember when I was a kid and we had one of those PYE telly's with the fuax walnut casing. Me fatha was often getting his mate to look at it. People fixed each others stuff then and there was no shame in taking second hand gear from each other.
This is very true - there was always someone in the neighbourhood who could fix something for folk even though it wasn’t their trade.
Also in the 60 s in our close in Preston someone had a lawnmower , another a set of ladders , another a torque wrench…. a wheelbarrow etc .( people simply couldn’t afford a set of everything) These were happily loaned around. My dads rule was anything lent to him went back cleaned , polished and oiled - I remember him scraping the grass off the communal lawnmower blades prior to return!

Different times.

It is mad how people just bin stuff off without getting it fixed, or replace perfectly good stuff mind. I remember when I was a kid and we had one of those PYE telly's with the fuax walnut casing. Me fatha was often getting his mate to look at it. People fixed each others stuff then and there was no shame in taking second hand gear from each other.
True, but I think a lot of stuff nowadays is made to break and be disposable sadly.

I'm sure the OP thinks this is a DIY forum.

Getting to it is a fuck on. Just get a new dryer instead.
About 30-odd years ago I bought a cheap tumble dryer. It worked great for a couple of years until the belt snapped.
No problem, I thought, just put a new one on. When I took it apart it turned out that the belt passed through a riveted assembly, so to change it, assuming a spare was even available, you'd have to drill the rivets out then re-rivet it or bolt it back together.

I slung it out, fck that...
I fix stuff that people hoy out. I've scored some canny stuff, including LCD TVs.
People don't get things fixed because it simply isn't cost effective. Back in the day, many people had to rent TVs because they were ridiculously expensive, complex and unreliable. It was cost effective to keep them going for as long as possible. Also, technology wasn't advancing as quickly. A 1970 colour TV could have as good a picture, maybe even better, than one made in 1990.

No-one in their right mind is going to pay £100+ to get a cheap three year old LCD TV repaired when they can replace it, possibly with a bigger and better one, for £300. In a few short years we've gone from standard definition to 720p, 1080p to 4K and beyond. There's a strong incentive to just replace a broken TV.

Last edited:
About 30-odd years ago I bought a cheap tumble dryer. It worked great for a couple of years until the belt snapped.
No problem, I thought, just put a new one on. When I took it apart it turned out that the belt passed through a riveted assembly, so to change it, assuming a spare was even available, you'd have to drill the rivets out then re-rivet it or bolt it back together.

I slung it out, fck that...

I fix stuff that people hoy out. I've scored some canny stuff, including LCD TVs.
People don't get things fixed because it simply isn't cost effective. Back in the day, many people had to rent TVs because they were ridiculously expensive, complex and unreliable. It was cost effective to keep them going for as long as possible. Also, technology wasn't advancing as quickly. A 1970 colour TV could have as good a picture, maybe even better, than one made in 1990.

No-one in their right mind is going to pay £100+ to get a cheap three year old LCD TV repaired when they can replace it, possibly with a bigger and better one, for £300. In a few short years we've gone from standard definition to 720p, 1080p to 4K and beyond. There's a strong incentive to just replace a broken TV.
I remember if the tube goesin the telly, then it was effectively dead. Getting stuff on never helps these days too. Just about anyone can get credit without questions being asked.

True, but I think a lot of stuff nowadays is made to break and be disposable sadly.
Vestel TV chassis are a perfect example. They're in just about every bottom of the range TV these days. Mind, they usually die from capacitor failure, which is dead easy to fix. So many products these days are made with the cheapest Chinese electrolytic capacitors the manufacturer can source. If they used decent ones, the product would last much longer. All to save a fiver or so on each TV.

The problem is the time to diagnose the fault and do the repair means they're just not worth getting repaired at a shop. They usually last long enough to make them a reasonable buy, I suppose.

Vestel TV chassis are a perfect example. They're in just about every bottom of the range TV these days. Mind, they usually die from capacitor failure, which is dead easy to fix. So many products these days are made with the cheapest Chinese electrolytic capacitors the manufacturer can source. If they used decent ones, the product would last much longer. All to save a fiver or so on each TV.

The problem is the time to diagnose the fault and do the repair means they're just not worth getting repaired at a shop. They usually last long enough to make them a reasonable buy, I suppose.
I bought I Samsung plasma screen in 2008 and no word of a lie it's still going strong. They slightly preceded the LCD TVs but honestly don't know why they stopped making them.

I remember if the tube goesin the telly, then it was effectively dead. Getting stuff on never helps these days too. Just about anyone can get credit without questions being asked.
I used to have access to a tube restorer. It was very satisfying to see the TV owner's face when they saw the result! Sometimes it'd give the tube a year or more extra life. Other times it'd last weeks or even less. Some tubes were better suited to restoration than others. I had one that looked great then darkened back down over the course of a few minutes!

There was actually a company in Wingate that supplied remanufactured CRTs. I used them a few times, they weren't bad.
I bought I Samsung plasma screen in 2008 and no word of a lie it's still going strong. They slightly preceded the LCD TVs but honestly don't know why they stopped making them.
Very power hungry, though, and bulkier than LCDs. They just couldn't compete with improving LCD technology.
I absolutely loved my Panasonic 42" plasma, and I'd probably still have had it if I hadn't blown the bast@rd up! I forget how long I had it, maybe 8 years, and it looked as good as the day I got it, never a thing went wrong with it until I killed the bugger. Luckily it was insured so I didn't lose out, but I was gutted when they took it away.

Last edited:

Back