Trying to lose weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunksafc

Striker
Hopefully someone can give me some sensible advice on losing the weight.

Followed the bmr calculator and worked out I need to be eating 1700 calories a day to lose 1lb ish a week, started eating better, counting the calories and also doing half an hour on the bike and rowing machine each day.

In the last 2 days I have managed around 1500 calories the first day and 1300 yesterday despite eating 4 times a day and not really feeling hungry at all, I've also started drinking around 3 pints of water a day instead of coffee (limited to 3 cups with 1 sweetener in the mornings)

With this calorie intake and the exercise should I start to see some weight come off?

With those figures, you will see weight come off. Good luck to you. Weight loss can be difficult, personally, I have tried many things over the past 20 years, with varying success (dietician, Slimming World, Weigh Watchers, watching what I eat, Veg Soup Diet, Grapefruit etc.)

I am in a position to be needing to lose a lot of weight so, 30 days ago I started the Blood Sugar Diet from Michael Mosely. I read the book thoroughly before starting and he has some very interesting points to make about speed of weigh loss, blood sugar, processed carbs, water intake amongst others. A lot of the things he mentions in the book are completely contrary to what I have been told/thought was right over the years e.g weighing daily can be a great motivator, low fat foods aren't necessarily good for you

It sounds fairly extreme at only 800 calories a day, but I have found (apart from the first 4 days) that it has been quite straightforward. The first 4 days include sweats and headaches, but these were solved by upping my water intake. First week lead to 1st2lbs loss and to date I have lost 35lbs (over a pound every day). Have posted some updates on the Low Carb Diet thread.

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at that one as well.

Interesting about the headaches, I think my body is stressing about the lack of coffee, but that water seems to be helping that

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at that one as well.

Interesting about the headaches, I think my body is stressing about the lack of coffee, but that water seems to be helping that
The headaches with me was the sugar and caffeine withdrawal but the water was a godsend. Keep with it mate.

With those figures, you will see weight come off. Good luck to you. Weight loss can be difficult, personally, I have tried many things over the past 20 years, with varying success (dietician, Slimming World, Weigh Watchers, watching what I eat, Veg Soup Diet, Grapefruit etc.)

I am in a position to be needing to lose a lot of weight so, 30 days ago I started the Blood Sugar Diet from Michael Mosely. I read the book thoroughly before starting and he has some very interesting points to make about speed of weigh loss, blood sugar, processed carbs, water intake amongst others. A lot of the things he mentions in the book are completely contrary to what I have been told/thought was right over the years e.g weighing daily can be a great motivator, low fat foods aren't necessarily good for you

It sounds fairly extreme at only 800 calories a day, but I have found (apart from the first 4 days) that it has been quite straightforward. The first 4 days include sweats and headaches, but these were solved by upping my water intake. First week lead to 1st2lbs loss and to date I have lost 35lbs (over a pound every day). Have posted some updates on the Low Carb Diet thread.
Is that different from the 5:2 diet? I knew he's written that but not heard of this.

Is that different from the 5:2 diet? I knew he's written that but not heard of this.
It is a variation on it. They are both blood sugar diets but, the one I follow is the BSD:800.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

It is similar except that you are "on plan" every day. A little more extreme to begin with, but it gets excellent results quickly. The gradual upping of calories and reintroduction of carbs is going to be the next stage for me in 3 or so weeks. This should give me a more gradual weight loss.

If I keep going at the current rate, I can expect to have lost 4 stones in the 8 weeks.

This is the book:
There are a couple of sample menus in the Daily Mail as well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...anges-experience-follow-800-calorie-diet.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-Type-2-diabetes-best-s-tasty-way-health.html

It is a variation on it. They are both blood sugar diets but, the one I follow is the BSD:800.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

It is similar except that you are "on plan" every day. A little more extreme to begin with, but it gets excellent results quickly. The gradual upping of calories and reintroduction of carbs is going to be the next stage for me in 3 or so weeks. This should give me a more gradual weight loss.

If I keep going at the current rate, I can expect to have lost 4 stones in the 8 weeks.
Is that healthy or sustainable?

I like Mosely and I know a lot of science went into the 5:2 but that sounds a bit extreme. Are there any other health benefits other than losing weight (like there are in 5:2)?

Is that healthy or sustainable?

I like Mosely and I know a lot of science went into the 5:2 but that sounds a bit extreme. Are there any other health benefits other than losing weight (like there are in 5:2)?
It feels OK at the minute. I am a lot more alert at work and feel very lively. As for being sustainable, it is time restricted to 8 weeks for that very reason. The kick start of the 8 weeks approach is good from my point of view as I have found I have become bored with other diets I have tried. With a cracking loss already in the bank, I think it'll spur me on when I shift to the maintenance phase which can be 5:2 or increased carbs and calories.

The main benefits are the reduction of Blood Sugar and the reversal of type 2 diabetes. One of the ways that it works is that the foods taken on the plan help boost your metabolism thus leaving you with an even higher deficit in calories. It also targets visceral fat.

When it comes to my personal weight loss, I can't actually see the weight going off like that as the rate has already slowed to half of what it was in the first week, but if it does, my BMI will be much the btter for it although still not "deirable" - I have a long way to go on the whole lifestyle /weight loss front.

Hopefully someone can give me some sensible advice on losing the weight.

Followed the bmr calculator and worked out I need to be eating 1700 calories a day to lose 1lb ish a week, started eating better, counting the calories and also doing half an hour on the bike and rowing machine each day.

In the last 2 days I have managed around 1500 calories the first day and 1300 yesterday despite eating 4 times a day and not really feeling hungry at all, I've also started drinking around 3 pints of water a day instead of coffee (limited to 3 cups with 1 sweetener in the mornings)

With this calorie intake and the exercise should I start to see some weight come off?
Get yourself a Fitbit HR mate. It'll monitor a utatly hoe many calories you burn, then you can go 500 calories a day less than that. I think 1500 & 1300 might be hard to stick to. Some days I have that, others I might have 2500 but I can do that because I've played football or something.

Get yourself a Fitbit HR mate. It'll monitor a utatly hoe many calories you burn, then you can go 500 calories a day less than that. I think 1500 & 1300 might be hard to stick to. Some days I have that, others I might have 2500 but I can do that because I've played football or something.

Will have a look at them, 1500 hasnt been hard so far and enjoying the different food and planning meals.

It would be nice to know I can have a couple of cans in a weekend and it not affect the weight loss though

Will have a look at them, 1500 hasnt been hard so far and enjoying the different food and planning meals.

It would be nice to know I can have a couple of cans in a weekend and it not affect the weight loss though
I can recommend one. I lost a stone using mine before I had to stop because my thyroid kicked off (unrelated). It also diagnosed my thyroid anarl.

This will be where your problem lies, especially if you're working hard all week. The alcohol is a killer when counting calories. I'd guess you're burning more than 2,200 per day, especially if you're doing a little bit of excercise as well. At least with a Fitbit you can be sure. I lost about in 3 months with my Fitbit. Our lass was pregnant at the time, so weekends didn't revolve around drinking. I've kept it off since then but would like another stone. I know it'll take some discipline around no drunk for 6/8 weeks & eating better with plenty of excercise to get there, but I know I can do it when I have Fitbit & MyFitnessPal to keep me right with the numbers.

This will be where your problem lies, especially if you're working hard all week. The alcohol is a killer when counting calories. I'd guess you're burning more than 2,200 per day, especially if you're doing a little bit of excercise as well. At least with a Fitbit you can be sure. I lost about in 3 months with my Fitbit. Our lass was pregnant at the time, so weekends didn't revolve around drinking. I've kept it off since then but would like another stone. I know it'll take some discipline around no drunk for 6/8 weeks & eating better with plenty of excercise to get there, but I know I can do it when I have Fitbit & MyFitnessPal to keep me right with the numbers.

I downloaded the myfitness pal app yesterday and it worked out I had less than I had made it, it seems a great app and will be really useful.

How unfit I have become is the most shocking, hopefully that will get better as the weight comes down.

I downloaded the myfitness pal app yesterday and it worked out I had less than I had made it, it seems a great app and will be really useful.

How unfit I have become is the most shocking, hopefully that will get better as the weight comes down.
Give it a couple of weeks of doing 3/4 bits of fitness work mate. You'll notice a massive difference. I feel like shit at the minute because I haven't been getting to my weekend bootcamp classes, but still know I can get that Fitness back sharpish. It's a great feeling when you progress a bit. Even better when you see the scales going down.

Nice one mate, though I am unsure why you want to lose weight as you were as light as a feather when I had to carry you after the Southend match ;)

I lost a bit of weight last year using tips from here and myfitnesspal was very good although I got a bit obsessed at times.

Re booze the trade off is that if you hit your targets for cal intake then fine but it would be easier to avoid it for a few months as it would make a massive difference. Wonder why nutritional info isn't on the side of cans of lager?

I would have a 4 pack of Stella with a takeaway each Saturday but now don't bother or just have 1. Perhaps reduce until Christmas then allow yourself a bit more freedom then?

Good luck and get in touch if I can help. I went from 12 stone to about 10.5 in 6 months, perhaps too much too quickly.

Nice one mate, though I am unsure why you want to lose weight as you were as light as a feather when I had to carry you after the Southend match ;)

I lost a bit of weight last year using tips from here and myfitnesspal was very good although I got a bit obsessed at times.

Re booze the trade off is that if you hit your targets for cal intake then fine but it would be easier to avoid it for a few months as it would make a massive difference. Wonder why nutritional info isn't on the side of cans of lager?

I would have a 4 pack of Stella with a takeaway each Saturday but now don't bother or just have 1. Perhaps reduce until Christmas then allow yourself a bit more freedom then?

Good luck and get in touch if I can help. I went from 12 stone to about 10.5 in 6 months, perhaps too much too quickly.

I have no recollection of being carried in Southend :oops:

I had a couple of cans last night but was still under my daily target according to the app, so I was really pleased with that.

Wish I'd started this a long time ago, even after a few days I feel better for it and its spuring me on to knock the fags on the head as well

Not a fan of diet plans as they only seem to ramp up the pressure.

Identify some habits or food that is blatantly unhealthy like snacking on crisps during the day or driving when you could walk.

Change to semi skimmed stuff like that. This is the worst bit because your body wants that shit but power through it.

Then it's just a case of avoiding bad habits. The weight can take a few weeks to drop off then all of a sudden it begins and keeps going depending on the changes you've made.

Not a fan of diet plans as they only seem to ramp up the pressure.

Identify some habits or food that is blatantly unhealthy like snacking on crisps during the day or driving when you could walk.

Change to semi skimmed stuff like that. This is the worst bit because your body wants that shit but power through it.

Then it's just a case of avoiding bad habits. The weight can take a few weeks to drop off then all of a sudden it begins and keeps going depending on the changes you've made.
Exactly mate. Break bad habits and form good ones.

I used to have x2 sugars in hot drinks and each morning break at work I would eat crisps + choc bar, sometimes also a small pork pie.

With some preparation it is easy to have healthy snacks available and with myfitnesspal you can schedule meal plans in advance, copy things that have worked previously etc.

I have no recollection of being carried in Southend :oops:

I had a couple of cans last night but was still under my daily target according to the app, so I was really pleased with that.

Wish I'd started this a long time ago, even after a few days I feel better for it and its spuring me on to knock the fags on the head as well
It was after you argued with a bouncer! Cannot believe that it was 10 years ago.

Exactly mate. Break bad habits and form good ones.

I used to have x2 sugars in hot drinks and each morning break at work I would eat crisps + choc bar, sometimes also a small pork pie.

With some preparation it is easy to have healthy snacks available and with myfitnesspal you can schedule meal plans in advance, copy things that have worked previously etc.

It was after you argued with a bouncer! Cannot believe that it was 10 years ago.

Bloody hell, it was never 10 years ago?

Bloody hell, it was never 10 years ago?
2006/7 season mate... we saw arnau reira score!!!!!

We went to Norwich at home and at least a few other matches, Stoke away I think was one at a night match.

Last game of season -v- Luton we were at your cousin's house and watched it on tv I think.

World Cup 2006 was when we were zammoed in Nottingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back