Tribunal nears end for man who lost job offer over views on homosexuality

Dunno. Maybe the decision was based on like, the law, or something.
he won a case for a similar thing against Sheffield Uni apparently.

Going on Facebook and ranting is a big no no mind, but people don't learn.

Some religions believe its a sin, that's a fact. Not just Christians either.

he won a case for a similar thing against Sheffield Uni apparently.

Going on Facebook and ranting is a big no no mind, but people don't learn.

Some religions believe its a sin, that's a fact. Not just Christians either.

Believing things isn’t illegal. Saying things sometimes is. Doing things …

Often the ‘saying’ bit is debatable and you get into the realms of whether expression of an opinion or belief directly infringes on somebody else’s rights or subjects them to detriment. But there are added implications in an employment setting where ‘trust and confidence’ and aspects whereby an employer doesn’t want to be associated with potentially discriminatory language. There are times when statements can ‘signal an intention to discriminate’ too.

There’s case law and precedent and detail that has in all likelihood been fully taken into consideration. Plus one piece of legislation may not supervene another - that’s also an element. So we can debate till the cows come home. A tribunal or appeal will always have more detailed information than a headline.

I know fuck all about it of course. I’m just a bloke on a message board.

Adam walker used to be my technology teacher at Kepier.

Got peddled for saying racist shit on chat rooms I think. He used to tell us some mad stuff in lessons, like how if he was in charge we would be whipped in front of the town in the middle of houghton for being naughty :lol: bloke was a goon.
Went onto lead the BNP

A pity he's a Christian, a Muslim with similar views would've kept his job.
Eh? Not sure how homosexuality is comparable to being a rapist or a child abuser. Or the relevance of rehabilated twokkers working with youth offenders. Not sure what a state graded thinker is either. I take it you are one those free thinkers using their eyes and ears?

Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic. This bloke holds what appear to be discriminatory views i.e. homosexuals are all sinners. I can see why an employer in this field would be concerned and think they should be able to make their own call on whether to employ him or not. I'm not demanding anything, and I didn't mention the state.
Why isn't his views as a Christian protected?

Last edited:
So does that mean those that think those that Twoc are thieves and theft is a sin shouldnt work in youth offending then ?
Or that prison social workers shouldnt think rape or fraud for example is a sin ?
Or child protection workers shouldnt think abusing kids is a sin .
As social workers ( which i was ) we help people regardless of whether we agree with their life choices. Its difficult sometimes but its a skill developed much as barristers can defend guilty people.
Its a slippery slope when you start to demand certain opinions out of those that administer the relationship between state and individuals. All ok when youre in accord with the Zeitgeist and wont need anyone who is willing to fight the state but what if youre not and all you have is state graded thinkers ?
To work in social care you have to be completely non-judgemental. This person clearly isn't as he has voiced his judgement.
A pity he's a Christian, a Muslim with similar views would've kept his job.

Why isn't his views as a Christian protected?
Any evidence of this?

So does that mean those that think those that Twoc are thieves and theft is a sin shouldnt work in youth offending then ?
Or that prison social workers shouldnt think rape or fraud for example is a sin ?
As social workers ( which i was ) we help people regardless of whether we agree with their life choices. Its difficult sometimes but its a skill developed much as barristers can defend guilty people.
Its a slippery slope when you start to demand certain opinions out of those that administer the relationship between state and individuals. All ok when youre in accord with the Zeitgeist and wont need anyone who is willing to fight the state but what if youre not and all you have is state graded thinkers ?

The fact that you've chosen to compare homosexuality to theft, rape, fraud and child abuse speaks volumes.

The fact that you've chosen to compare homosexuality to theft, rape, fraud and child abuse speaks volumes.
To you it does . You hear too much volume. All examples of things which may cause aversion
To work in social care you have to be completely non-judgemental. This person clearly isn't as he has voiced his judgement.

Any evidence of this?
No one is completely non judgemental .

Last edited:
Tricky one, but I think they're right not to give him the job if they've got serious concerns. Can he give the same level of care to an LGBTQ person as he could to a heterosexual Christian? Given he thinks of them as sinners (and therefore presumably condemned to hell for eternity anyway) it's hard to argue that he could. The mental health aspect, as touched on in the article, is simply a further layer. Would the LGBTQ person be more likely to self harm if someone in a position of trust was telling them they were sinners etc.

Maybe the bloke would do a perfectly good job and wouldn't discriminate at all but, if he has been openly discussing his views, it doesn't sound like he'll be able to keep them to himself at all times. For me it's not so much protected characteristic v protected characteristic in this case because it's not purely the fact he's religious that makes them think he's unsuitable. Other religious people no doubt get employed by them, they'll just steer away from ones openly make statements that make them seem wholly unsuitable for the role.

To you it does . You hear too much volume. All examples of things which may cause aversion

No one is completely non judgemental .
But you can keep the fact you think some people are sinners, and all that goes with thinking that, to yourself. Vulnerable people need to feel safe around you and need to trust you. If they don't it can effect their health or trigger behaviours. If he thinks some are sinners and voices those feelings he has failed.

Last edited:
But you can keep the fact you think some people are sinners, and all that goes with thinking that, to yourself. Vulnerable people need to feel safe around you and need to trust you. If they don't it can effect their health or trigger behaviours. If he thinks some are sinners and voices those feelings he has failed.
I agree, in so far as he has voiced that on social media, which may be accessible to his clients.
My beef is people going to the level of saying his actual beliefs make him unfit for role. You dont have to like what you dont like but you do have to work with it.

Notwithstanding the conflation of consensual adult gay relationships with rape, theft, child abuse and fraud I would tend to agree that his personal views shouldn't disqualify him from being a mental health social worker. The problem would be if he allowed his views to conflict with his duties, for example by equating homosexuality with child abuse and rape and trying to "convert" vulnerable people

Notwithstanding the conflation of consensual adult gay relationships with rape, theft, child abuse and fraud I would tend to agree that his personal views shouldn't disqualify him from being a mental health social worker. The problem would be if he allowed his views to conflict with his duties, for example by equating homosexuality with child abuse and rape and trying to "convert" vulnerable people
Correct .

Eh? Not sure how homosexuality is comparable to being a rapist or a child abuser. Or the relevance of rehabilated twokkers working with youth offenders. Not sure what a state graded thinker is either. I take it you are one those free thinkers using their eyes and ears?

Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic. This bloke holds what appear to be discriminatory views i.e. homosexuals are all sinners. I can see why an employer in this field would be concerned and think they should be able to make their own call on whether to employ him or not. I'm not demanding anything, and I didn't mention the state.
Religious views are also a protected characteristic.
There's no evidence that he discriminated against any patients.

The majority of British Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal and same sex marriages banned.
Do we start kicking all of these out of NHS and carer jobs etc?

Last edited:
Religious views are also a protected characteristic.
There's no evidence that he discriminated against any patients.

The majority of British Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal and same sex marriages banned.
Do we start kicking all of these out of NHS and carer jobs etc?
I said I felt it was up to the employer as to whether they wanted to employ this chap (he wasn't sacked, just not employed).

I haven't suggested that all religious people should be sacked from care jobs. This is obviously an emotive issue for you. Have your beliefs got you into trouble at work?

I said I felt it was up to the employer as to whether they wanted to employ this chap (he wasn't sacked, just not employed).

I haven't suggested that all religious people should be sacked from care jobs. This is obviously an emotive issue for you. Have your beliefs got you into trouble at work?
Do employers just not employ these people them? Or do we allow employers to do this?
You haven't been doing that have you? Refusing to employ people based on their religion? You seem a little agitated.

Do employers just not employ these people them? Or do we allow employers to do this?
You haven't been doing that have you? Refusing to employ people based on their religion? You seem a little agitated.
Normally these situations are quite rare because folk find their level. Maybe a career in social work isn't what he was cut out for. If he'd been a fitter down the pits I doubt his views would have been a concern to anyone.

Back