Trev, Burnham, Poynter

If trevaskis and possibly the other two were under previous regimes they might not have survived tbh but Franklin seems to want to give them a go which is the bit of luck they may need.
Imo i still think trevaskis is short of the mark and if you give good nepl players enough opportunity eventually even they would turn the odd performance....
A lot of talk of Sol Bell and Jonny Bushnell
Who seem to be nxt cabs off the rank but you cant tell me they better than some NEPL players or Michael Richardson , Ryan Pringle

If trevaskis and possibly the other two were under previous regimes they might not have survived tbh but Franklin seems to want to give them a go which is the bit of luck they may need.
Imo i still think trevaskis is short of the mark and if you give good nepl players enough opportunity eventually even they would turn the odd performance....
Who seem to be nxt cabs off the rank but you cant tell me they better than some NEPL players or Michael Richardson , Ryan Pringle
Surely the question about Michael Richardson getting released is Poynter any better or just cheaper.
The likes of Bell and Bushnell are kids making their way in the game on Academy contracts.
The likes of Pringle are in their mid 20s have been on the staff for years and never looked like making the grade. As you say good weekend club cricketers and that maybe the same for Bell and Bushnell in time as well or they may make the grade.

Difference is, those young lads have bags of potential and won’t command large contracts.

Both of them are probably cheaper than Richardson or Pringle alone.

Whats more, as much as it pains me to say it, those two players have had plenty of chances to prove their worth and been found wanting. The two young lads deserve their opportunity to prove their worth.

Poynter FFS, should be released

I'd have given Burnham one last go to find consistency, Poynter has done nowt. So bad in T20 he lost his place and the captaincy
Surely the problem is if not Poynter who is our other wicketkeeper. I'd say we need a 1st choice, a 2nd choice and one coming through. I'm not even sure if we have one coming through.

Cricket is form and confidence game with a little bit of luck.... after colonel, everyone went for richo , then richo had a dip and everyone screamed poynter for his runs and keeping, he dips , now we have eckersley who has been great but i will sit and wait for him to be hung!!!!

i will wait for the next hanging!!!

Simple way to think is everyones opinion is important and entitled too but franklin picks 11 he wants....would we pick his 11 ??? Would you???

Surely the problem is if not Poynter who is our other wicketkeeper. I'd say we need a 1st choice, a 2nd choice and one coming through. I'm not even sure if we have one coming through.
We've trialled about 3 Wicketkeepers in the 2nds none of whom have been runscorers which suggests we haven't got one coming through and indicates why Poytner has been retained.

As for Trev, the lad is 20 year old and for me has shown a lot of promise. Poynter I really don't see the purpose of giving him a contract to be honest, hasn't performed, just not good enough. Burnham I'd stick with but he can count himself a tad fortunate. Remains to be see what happens with Rimmington.

Last edited:
As for Trev, the lad is 20 year old and for me has shown a lot of promise. Poynter I really don't see the purpose of giving him a contract to be honest, hasn't performed, just not good enough. Burnham I'd stick with but he can count himself a tad fortunate. Remains to be see what happens with Rimmington.
So what would you do for a second wicketkeeper?

Bancroft and Ned. As for the 2nd xi then the club may have a younger player or they would need to find someone else. Poynter for me has had enough chances.
Bancroft is not a wickie, he's an occasional wicketkeeper as noted on the roster for Western Australia.

He doesn't really play as that, if he's anything I'd guess he's one of those players who can play in the position if the real one gets injured during the match.

Given his captaincy and opener duties it would be too much to ask imho . . . . . besides 1st team wickie would be ned, he'd be playing for the 2nds - no too much to ask.

The alternative to Poynter is to bring someone else in from another club and Poynter is a good wicketkeeper and he's just won an award for 2nd team player of the year.

Worth noting, which seems to have been missed up to now* - Poynter appears, from this Tweet, to have chosen a Durham career over an Ireland career.

I based most of my opinions on him deciding to pursue an international career and so the fact he’s not being brought back as an overseas and is likely to be relatively cheap contract wise - I’d suggest it’s a sensible decision to keep him as a backup option.

*Apologies if it has and I’ve missed it.

Just looked up .....
Paine was wicketkeeper in the 17/118 Test series that Bancroft played in.
On the Western Australia wifi page they have #Bancroft down as an 'occasional wicketkeeper'. Given that I think I'd keep Poynter on.

Bancroft kept wicket in the RL Cup games but as those games have now lost their List A status the likes of Bancroft would be unlikely to play in them .He may be classified as occasional but he kept tidily.

Back