Travelling on a non-work day

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am going on a long trip for work say on a Saturday (16+ hours)

Do my employers have to compensate me for this?
Whenever I had a Monday morning meeting in London I’d travel down on the Sunday afternoon, I’d go out on the piss and watch the strippers...went on expenses. Never got questioned but I never said I’d been to the strippers mind.

Never been owt in me contract or anything for it but I've always had an understanding with bosses that I will expect some time back. I've never taken back as much as has been taken from me but enough to be happy they're not taking the piss
Pretty much this. Always pissed me off that all training and meetings were in London and Birmingham and nobody would travel to Newcastle. Daft twats asking pointless questions at the end of meetings so they didn't have to go back to their desks when I had four or five hours travel ahead of me.
I would take longer lunches during the week and not feel guilty about it.
If someone on my team was travelling I would always make allowances for it as much as I could.

:lol:

Out and about, all owa the shop.:lol:

Logon or register to see this image

A friend of mine had an (almost empty) flat up here for years which he would use when up from London, didn't pay TV license. We used to go there on a night for a few drinks and watch a bit mock the week on a thursday I think it was, anyway literally anytime a van was parked outside he point blank refused to put the TV on as he was convinced there was some gadgie sat in the back holding a git big aerial trying to catch him out :lol:

I always get paid travelling time when I have to go to our Office in Houston, that's why I prefer to drive the 8 hours than fly the 2 :lol::lol:

A friend of mine had an (almost empty) flat up here for years which he would use when up from London, didn't pay TV license. We used to go there on a night for a few drinks and watch a bit mock the week on a thursday I think it was, anyway literally anytime a van was parked outside he point blank refused to put the TV on as he was convinced there was some gadgie sat in the back holding a git big aerial trying to catch him out :lol:
:lol:

We get time off in lieu for work based travel and evening or weekend work (as long as it's directly related to the course we're running at the time, rather than us staying late to catch up on something). We can also sell some of the TOIL back at the end of the year (although this may change in the near future).

You should be paid "door to door".
From when you leave your house, and until you get home - it's on company business, and they should recompense you accordingly.

This was always a constant complaint of mine.

Work in the office and asked to work late until 7pm?
2 hours overtime.

Work away that day, leave at 6am, full day at work, stay in hotel all night driving back early the next morning, or not getting back until late.
No overtime.

I'd constantly point out that I'd worked 6/7 hours more than the people who were in the office.
So I dodged as many away days as possible, stayed in the office and picked up the cash.

It was always quite funny watching the young'uns volunteering for away days, visiting clients and going to meetings, staying in hotels etc.
Then a couple of months later, they'd say "You know what, you don't get overtime, even though I'm working more hours ...."

This was always a constant complaint of mine.

Work in the office and asked to work late until 7pm?
2 hours overtime.

Work away that day, leave at 6am, full day at work, stay in hotel all night driving back early the next morning, or not getting back until late.
No overtime.

I'd constantly point out that I'd worked 6/7 hours more than the people who were in the office.
So I dodged as many away days as possible, stayed in the office and picked up the cash.

It was always quite funny watching the young'uns volunteering for away days, visiting clients and going to meetings, staying in hotels etc.
Then a couple of months later, they'd say "You know what, you don't get overtime, even though I'm working more hours ...."

This is why people should ALWAYS ask what the deal is when your employer asks you to do something out of the normal.
If there is no incentive, then don't do it.
Simple as that, and stay in the office as you say, and pick up the normal days pay for the normal hours worked.

That annoys me when I have to go to London. Everyone gets paid a flat fee for the day but the London ones get more because of London weighting.

I have to travel down the night before unpaid, then I'm travelling back unpaid after the meeting. The last meeting was on a Friday so it was annoying when everyone was discussing Friday night plans when they got home and I knew I wouldn't get home until 9pm. That turned into after 10pm because the signals failed on the tube and I was stuck underground so missed I my train so had to catch a later one :neutral:

We get 1:1 lieu time, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if such compensation isn't written into the law.

that would be sensible

You should be paid "door to door".
From when you leave your house, and until you get home - it's on company business, and they should recompense you accordingly.

Actually this is what I think, it is time gone out of my life, I should be payed for it.

Last edited:
Depends what level you are, how often you do it and whether it was a clear requirement of the job before you took it.

I'd never expect senior or middle management to expect it back.

I'd never expect a consultant where travel is required to.

I' always expect fair give and take

That annoys me when I have to go to London. Everyone gets paid a flat fee for the day but the London ones get more because of London weighting.

I have to travel down the night before unpaid, then I'm travelling back unpaid after the meeting. The last meeting was on a Friday so it was annoying when everyone was discussing Friday night plans when they got home and I knew I wouldn't get home until 9pm. That turned into after 10pm because the signals failed on the tube and I was stuck underground so missed I my train so had to catch a later one :neutral:

I generally don’t mind having to go down to London. I frame it as a free train ticket to go and have a pint with mates when I’m done.

I realise people’s circumstances differ mind.

If I am going on a long trip for work say on a Saturday (16+ hours)

Do my employers have to compensate me for this?
Out of goodwill, they should
Overtime or days in lieu
If they don't the company doesn't respect it employees and is on a slippery slope to failing despite hr proclaiming employees are our most valuable asset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back