Travel lodge destroyed over missing wages (600 quid)

Fair play to him. Contracting in construction is horrible at times. We've packed up many a time and walked off site until the main contractor coughed up

My marra was a bricklayer for a local firm (sounds like Bowburn;)) - they were sub contracting for Gentoo last year doing new roofs & gable-ends around the town.
He was constantly chasing after his money from them. They gave him excuses week after week.:evil:
Eventually he rapped them in, - sick of the hassle and the fuckers still owe him £400!!! - he has never seen that money.
Absolute shower of shite.

There's at least 4 subbies on that job waiting on payment from November

Be interesting to see what happens. Hasn't been arrested yet

Committing criminal damage well into five figures , with the only mitigating circumstances being he was late in getting paid.

A relatively simple case m’lud .

My marra was a bricklayer for a local firm (sounds like Bowburn;)) - they were sub contracting for Gentoo last year doing new roofs & gable-ends around the town.
He was constantly chasing after his money from them. They gave him excuses week after week.:evil:
Eventually he rapped them in, - sick of the hassle and the fuckers still owe him £400!!! - he has never seen that money.

Tell him to get a statutory notice in. They'll pap themselves at that!

Apparently he was paid, due to the Lloyds bank issues on Friday the money didn’t appear in his account.

Could be bullshit mind
I'd go with bullshit mesel. Subbies try this stuff on all the time.
I just tell em Ill report them to the tax office for misuse of the self employed in construction industry scheme AND take them to the small claims court, calling all their directors as witnesses. They won't want a day hanging round in court.....

Committing criminal damage well into five figures , with the only mitigating circumstances being he was late in getting paid.

A relatively simple case m’lud .

I'm referring to what will actually happen. Prison, or suspended sentence. Will set a precedent this

Precedent would have been set on criminal damage cases years ago man.

I'm merely interested to see what he gets. Prison, or suspended. I cant remember ever seeing 1 man tear the arse out of building in this manner.Precedent on a bit of graffiti, will be much different to this

one of the videos i saw of the aftermath you can hear a lad say 'he said on saturday he was going to do this' - so obviously he has threatened to do it a few days ago, probably after not getting paid last thursday night. he won't work directly for travelodge or indeed the main contractor on the project, he will be subcontracted / agency to a groundworks company more than likely - potentially the same company that has its name of the back of the machine - so the main contractor will be after the groundworks subby for the money. a total shitstorm i imagine. small sub contractors go under and resurface all the time, no way will they have £100k lying about for damages.

on the topic, the set up of 'sub-contracted' labour throughout the construction industry is a disgrace. pretty much the same as zero-hour contracts. most of them have no idea if they are going to have a wage next week, and thats the way it is all year round. theres not many on the books anymore

one of the videos i saw of the aftermath you can hear a lad say 'he said on saturday he was going to do this' - so obviously he has threatened to do it a few days ago, probably after not getting paid last thursday night. he won't work directly for travelodge or indeed the main contractor on the project, he will be subcontracted / agency to a groundworks company more than likely - potentially the same company that has its name of the back of the machine - so the main contractor will be after the groundworks subby for the money. a total shitstorm i imagine. small sub contractors go under and resurface all the time, no way will they have £100k lying about for damages.

on the topic, the set up of 'sub-contracted' labour throughout the construction industry is a disgrace. pretty much the same as zero-hour contracts. most of them have no idea if they are going to have a wage next week, and thats the way it is all year round. theres not many on the books anymore

FYI the name on the digger is the name of the hire company.

Billy's groundworks today
Dilly's groundworks tomorrow

Not saying his reaction was in any way proportionate to the issue and deserves his punishment. Probably other lads out of work because of this and a contractor going under most likely as no one will touch them with a barge pole now.

The flip side though is that this shit about not getting paid happens all the time in the construction industry. If you do the work you get paid, should be that simple. But you get a load of chancers setting up companies, making good money but with zero business sense, no cash flow and no responsibility so when their invoice goes unpaid for 2, 3, 4 weeks they’re in the shit.

The lad might have had baillifs on his back, rent to pay, food to buy and that £600 might have been the only money he had coming in.

If it was a banking error then that is also shit, but he should’ve smashed his local branch of Lloyd’s up instead of Travelodge.

Hopefully there’s subbies all ower the country watching this and thinking twice about this weekends banking error/ forgetting to sign a cheque to two etc etc...

Turns out it was a banking error and the money turned up in his account that day :lol:
Banks are currently reviewing their nutter on digger policy.

Shit that like, £400 X quite a few blokes I bet. Will be a tidy amount.
Tossers shouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Last edited:

Back