Train Sidings

If you think it's chaos now, imagine the time of steam trains and trains that carried different types of cargo on a much bigger network with loads of different yards and sheds.

And no Internet or computer coordination either!
Those were the days
Passed through Peterborough this morning and managed to get a snap of the Stadium of Light to Wembley signage at the GB Railfreight yard, with a well timed Grand Central passing as well. Just to prove i wasnt talking complete bollocks before. I couldn't find an image of it online anywhere

Logon or register to see this image

<188 miles Stadium of Light - 85 miles Wembley>
Is that where the old Eastfield signal box used to be?, spent months down there surveying for a tunnel under Peterborough station for the Eurostar (which never happened)

Last edited:
Those were the days

Is that where the old Eastfield signal box used to be?, spent months down there surveying for a tunnel under Peterborough station for the Eurostar (which never happened)
Exactly, just north of that signal box, it's still there actually
Where you on a XC going to/from Stamford?
Indeed I was, the 1N51 as far as Leicester

Last edited:
Pretty sure they all down tools when a train passes like

Still flying. Getting shorter though.
Sadly they no longer touch their forelock as the train passes. Probably what upset that guy so much
Those sidings as you cross the tees viaduct are huge and seem to be very under used
That's the marshalling yard and I think it's being closed iirc- part of it will be a nature reserve.

Last edited:
If you travel through Peterborough, you'll pass the GB Railfreight depot on the east side of the train, just north of the station. By the trackside there is an old fashioned decorative mileage sign proudly displaying

<---------Stadium of Light 170 miles London 73 miles -------->

(Approximate numbers as I can't find any pictorial evidence online and have only passed it on a moving train)

The CEO John Smith is a Sunderland fan.

This is the same company that operates locomotive 66725 which has been named Sunderland in the style of the LNER B17 "Footballer Class" locomotive Sunderland of 1936. Complete with scarf and club crest.

Can be seen all over the country!

I've bought the Hornby model of that for my lads birthday.

Back