Train Sidings

I’ve spent quite a bit of time on trains recently and I’m curious about sidings or yards, I guess they may be called.

It seems like a load of shit is just chucked in them randomly. For example in Doncaster it looks like many lines of trucks just dumped - some connected together, some single. What I assume is a snow plough. A large number of flat bed things, assume for transporting rails. And a large number of not being used locomotives.

This isn’t just Doncaster, it’s numerous places up and down the line.

How does the owner know where all this stuff is? And when they want it to do something, how do they go about getting it altogether and then actually moving it up and down the mainline?

It looks a nightmare.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time on trains recently and I’m curious about sidings or yards, I guess they may be called.

It seems like a load of shit is just chucked in them randomly. For example in Doncaster it looks like many lines of trucks just dumped - some connected together, some single. What I assume is a snow plough. A large number of flat bed things, assume for transporting rails. And a large number of not being used locomotives.

How does the owner know where all this stuff is? And when they want it to do something, how do they go about getting it altogether and then actually moving it up and down the mainline?

It looks a nightmare.

Tops System

It looks a nightmare.
The answer to your first question is yes they are sidings or marshalling yards depending on what you are looking at.
Things are stored there because the problem with railways is that even in storage you kind of need tracks to put things on. Some will be stored for use and some will be waiting to be scrapped/preserved.

The owners use a system of spreadsheets to know where things are. They get it together by marshalling them into trains, booking a path on the railway and then Choo choo (technical industry term)

I assume the logistics are quite challenging.

(I hope I don't come across as smarmy these are great questions and I honestly think more train/haulage related.matters should be discussed on this forum).

The answer to your first question is yes they are sidings or marshalling yards depending on what you are looking at.
Things are stored there because the problem with railways is that even in storage you kind of need tracks to put things on. Some will be stored for use and some will be waiting to be scrapped/preserved.

The owners use a system of spreadsheets to know where things are. They get it together by marshalling them into trains, booking a path on the railway and then Choo choo (technical industry term)

(I hope I don't come across as smarmy these are great questions and I honestly think more train/haulage related.matters should be discussed on this forum).
No, thank you- I just can’t get my head around the mess as I see it.

So if a truck is needed does somebody just request ‘a truck’ or do they request ‘truck 1234’ and somebody has to find it.

I worked in haulage and logistics for years and I thought that was a mess!

correct (apart from the choo choo, it's more wooo wooo)

No, thank you- I just can’t get my head around the mess as I see it.

So if a truck is needed does somebody just request ‘a truck’ or do they request ‘truck 1234’ and somebody has to find it.

I worked in haulage and logistics for years and I thought that was a mess!
I guess they could request a specific goods vehicle, if it was their favourite for instance. But normally they are moved in trains (all trains afaik are made up of only one thing being transported- coal for instance, or cement- so no mixing- well maybe the cement on route)
The trains (IE the formation of vehicles) are usually stored together somewhere near where they are needed- since they aren't usually one off, instead they are regular trains)
So what you are seeing when they are all higgledy piggledy is likely ones that are being scrapped (or the rail ones might be part of a maintenance formation)
Also peterboro has a heritage railway that joins the mainline so you might be seeing their stock in the sidings.

I guess they could request a specific goods vehicle, if it was their favourite for instance. But normally they are moved in trains (all trains afaik are made up of only one thing being transported- coal for instance, or cement- so no mixing- well maybe the cement on route)
The trains (IE the formation of vehicles) are usually stored together somewhere near where they are needed- since they aren't usually one off, instead they are regular trains)
So what you are seeing when they are all higgledy piggledy is likely ones that are being scrapped (or the rail ones might be part of a maintenance formation)
Also peterboro has a heritage railway that joins the mainline so you might be seeing their stock in the sidings.
Top explaining thank you!
It's effectively just a system of naming things right? Every vehicle has a code and you just keep up to date with where they get put.
Aye but that surely can’t happen in this day and age.

Back