Touring caravans

Hire one for 3 months guarantee you will be change your mind and not buy one.
The weekly hassle of packing it up finding nice sites then pulling home soon kicks in
Buy a static on a family ran site with a pitch with great outlook near to a village 👍 load less hassle I tried both and static way forward
But make sure u get a good family site owner the national companies are ruthless
Try Weardale area some cracking sites there mate
Will you can't guarantee it can you?

I like going all over me, we've been all over Europe and I've never even used a seasonal pitch.

Hire one for 3 months guarantee you will be change your mind and not buy one.
The weekly hassle of packing it up finding nice sites then pulling home soon kicks in
Buy a static on a family ran site with a pitch with great outlook near to a village 👍 load less hassle I tried both and static way forward
But make sure u get a good family site owner the national companies are ruthless
Try Weardale area some cracking sites there mate
That's me worry tbh all the hassle .was thinking a would just get used to it after a while. statics seem crazy money though

Space can be an issue, especially if you go for a fixed bed. We initially had a 6 berth and slept on the double that you make up at the front, whilst the boy had one of the bunks at the back. We sharp got sick of making the bed up every day and night though and part ex’d for a fixed bed

Initial layout was very similar to this

New layout is like this, and we’ve got a full length awning which doubles the size of usable space and is class for our 3 dogs

That Cartagena layout is what I've got now, not a Bailey though. Works really well for us.
That's me worry tbh all the hassle .was thinking a would just get used to it after a while. statics seem crazy money though
You do get used to it mate, it's a doddle really.

Last edited:
Look local and avoid the main dealers family ran sites are great we been in Stanhope Greenfoot site 2 years and love it
45 mins from home, just jump in car and it’s home from home, not sure I. Costs but we go every weekend from March to October no hassle of finding sites
Look local and avoid the main dealers family ran sites are great we been in Stanhope Greenfoot site 2 years and love it
45 mins from home, just jump in car and it’s home from home, not sure I. Costs but we go every weekend from March to October no hassle of finding sites
Like I say hire a tourer for 3 month see how u get on

Last edited:
Also bear in mind that touring caravans generally hold their value really well. Even new ones are not like cars that lose a third of their value once you drive them off a forecourt. You also have the option of seasonal pitches which still allow you to move year to year.

We had one for about 4 months. Mrs wouldn't have it outside the house so we had to pay for storage which is fairly pricey and a massive pain getting in and out etc.

The set up is a ball ache especially if you're only going for a couple of nights.

The caravan was alot more comfy than the camper we have now and for 16k you'll get a smasher.

Sites aren't all that cheap these days if you're looking for electric hook up.

The price for static site fees are outrageous. Can be upward of £4k a year.

A LWB camper such as a crafter or a sprinter might be worth a look if you're looking for a bit more convenience.

We had one for about 4 months. Mrs wouldn't have it outside the house so we had to pay for storage which is fairly pricey and a massive pain getting in and out etc.

The set up is a ball ache especially if you're only going for a couple of nights.

The caravan was alot more comfy than the camper we have now and for 16k you'll get a smasher.

Sites aren't all that cheap these days if you're looking for electric hook up.

The price for static site fees are outrageous. Can be upward of £4k a year.

A LWB camper such as a crafter or a sprinter might be worth a look if you're looking for a bit more convenience.
Just for balance I keep mine on a storage site, it costs £300 a year, which I think is fine, and mine has access 24/7/365 so no problem at all taking it in and out.

As far as setting it up being a ball ache, I'm struggling to see how it's that much worse than a camper. Apart from lowering/raising 4 legs it's pretty much the same no?

Just for balance I keep mine on a storage site, it costs £300 a year, which I think is fine, and mine has access 24/7/365 so no problem at all taking it in and out.

As far as setting it up being a ball ache, I'm struggling to see how it's that much worse than a camper. Apart from lowering/raising 4 legs it's pretty much the same no?
This ⬆️. Cost me £300 per year to store it at the site we liked, they pulled it onto a pitch whenever we booked. We worked a 9 day fortnight so would head to the site every other Thursday after work for a long weekend. The setup was 10 minutes with two of us going at it, legs down, power hookup plugged in, water filled and waste positioned. Not sure what the issue is, in the winter we would do all of that in the dark without any issue at all.

Last edited:
Touring caravans should only be allowed to travel on the road between midnight and 0600. Fekkin arseholes blocking the roads

I find the problem is the car driver sitting behind it unwilling to overtake, then another joins the queue and another

Then eventually normal people who know how to overtake have about 10 cars plus the original caravan to overtake, and get called a knob by all those in the queue who secretly wish they were doing the same thing.

I find the problem is the car driver sitting behind it unwilling to overtake, then another joins the queue and another

Then eventually normal people who know how to overtake have about 10 cars plus the original caravan to overtake, and get called a knob by all those in the queue who secretly wish they were doing the same thing.
This. The a82 to fort william is a 50 mph for me towing, and 40 for hgvs. I do 60 if i can, as do the hgvs. There is ample room for me and a lorry to pass each other going different directions, but some car drivers are scared to overtake me so hang on my arse for miles.

Bang on, experience it all the time living on the East Coast of Yorkshire, doesn’t matter whether it’s tractors, caravans or other slow moving vehicles. Nervous Nigel and his 7 mates happy to do 22.7 mph terrified to overtake even though there’s a straight dry road in broad daylight that’s 2 miles long and clear in the other direction.

Bang on, experience it all the time living on the East Coast of Yorkshire, doesn’t matter whether it’s tractors, caravans or other slow moving vehicles. Nervous Nigel and his 7 mates happy to do 22.7 mph terrified to overtake even though there’s a straight dry road in broad daylight that’s 2 miles long and clear in the other direction.
Yes. But I'd rather that than the amount of dangerous overtaking I see. Bends and blind summits.

So have a ford ranger 3.2 to tow so think it will tow most caravans .layout am after fixed island bed . There is me my lass and 3 little dogs so thinking 4 berth will be enough ? But like the idea of 6 berth for the space
You will pull it anywhere but your overall length is also massive depending what you get.
Have you looked at 5th wheels? I like them

Back