Touring caravans

Dan dare

Subs Bench
Looking at buying a touring caravan for the summer heard it's best time to get a good deal .never done it before but feel it's the best option for holidays as have 3 dogs and not allowed in holiday cottages etc with them .

Any advice on buying ? Makes and models ? Good sites ? Any tips as totally new to it all

Looking at buying a touring caravan for the summer heard it's best time to get a good deal .never done it before but feel it's the best option for holidays as have 3 dogs and not allowed in holiday cottages etc with them .

Any advice on buying ? Makes and models ? Good sites ? Any tips as totally new to it all
Popeye's got one for sale ,one owner only 🤣

Damp is the enemy. If you're buying from a dealer get a service with a fully clear damp report, or if you're buying private give it a good going over with a damp meter.

Personally I wouldn't say any one make is necessarily better than any other (despite what some people will tell you, they're all as bad as each other for the common faults), although Coachman are generally more top end.

There's sites all over, depends what you like.

Probably too much to put on here but we've had tourers for years so feel free to ask more specific questions on here or via private message as the purchase progresses.

Had a Sterling Europa twin axle for a few years, lovely size and very comfortable, great quality piece of kit. Never towed it though, we had it permanently stored at Killerby Old Hall near Cayton Bay, they would pull it in and out of the storage area for us when we had booked a week / weekend. Lovely intimate site with a real family feel to it, not too expensive either.
Never fancied towing tbh, was happy to have a weekend bolt hole and used it every other weekend while we had it.
Abbey, Swift, Sterling, Bailey all make good quality Caravans.
Damp is the enemy. If you're buying from a dealer get a service with a fully clear damp report, or if you're buying private give it a good going over with a damp meter.

Personally I wouldn't say any one make is necessarily better than any other (despite what some people will tell you, they're all as bad as each other for the common faults), although Coachman are generally more top end.

There's sites all over, depends what you like.

Probably too much to put on here but we've had tourers for years so feel free to ask more specific questions on here or via On the purchase progresses.
Fantastic advice.

Had a Sterling Europa twin axle for a few years, lovely size and very comfortable, great quality piece of kit. Never towed it though, we had it permanently stored at Killerby Old Hall near Cayton Bay, they would pull it in and out of the storage area for us when we had booked a week / weekend. Lovely intimate site with a real family feel to it, not too expensive either.
Never fancied towing tbh, was happy to have a weekend bolt hole and used it every other weekend while we had it.
Abbey, Swift, Sterling, Bailey all make good quality Caravans.

Fantastic advice.
Abbey and Lunar are both out of business now, but that can have it's advantages as they are consequently generally cheaper to buy second hand.

Depends what the budget is OP?

You obviously also need to think about what your towing vehicle is capable of towing, weight wise.

You've probably already worked out that generally tourers are a much better option than motorhomes or camper vans - a budget of say 10k will get you a much more "together" tourer than a motorhome at the same price point. No mechanicals to go wrong, no rust, no MOTs etc.

Lots of people get into it because they want it to be easier to holiday with dogs, that's really common.

We've been all over the UK and Europe in tourers.

Had one for about 10 years now, onto my second. A 2010 twin axle lunar delta ti, mostly for the same reasons. Get away often and cheaply with the dogs. As above, the biggest issue is damp so even if you get a full damp report, pick up a cheap damp meter from amazon and test fairly regularly. They are only about £10.

Most people I see on sites just tether the dogs but I spend a few hundred quid not long after getting mine to get a proper enclosure. This one. It adds to the setup and pull down time but if your staying for a long weekend it's worth the hassle.

If you've got any specific questions feel free to ask. I presume you have already worked out what you can tow, and figured out what layout you want? This is a good resource to tell you which models come in the various layouts.

I have 3 dogs, never a problem, look a bit harder. Avoid touring caravans

Other than the above go around the dealers and check out the different layouts. There are loads of different set ups. Think through how you will use it.
Main thing to consider is the sleeping options. Some love an island bed while others find it too small for two. Do you want fixed beds or convertible beds?

Had one for about 10 years now, onto my second. A 2010 twin axle lunar delta ti, mostly for the same reasons. Get away often and cheaply with the dogs. As above, the biggest issue is damp so even if you get a full damp report, pick up a cheap damp meter from amazon and test fairly regularly. They are only about £10.

Most people I see on sites just tether the dogs but I spend a few hundred quid not long after getting mine to get a proper enclosure. This one. It adds to the setup and pull down time but if your staying for a long weekend it's worth the hassle.

If you've got any specific questions feel free to ask. I presume you have already worked out what you can tow, and figured out what layout you want? This is a good resource to tell you which models come in the various layouts.
I own a damproofing firm so have the best damp meter on the market 😂 . Have around a 16 k budget any recommendations make and models ? Thinking not to buy to expensive though Incase dogs wreck it

I own a damproofing firm so have the best damp meter on the market 😂 . Have around a 16 k budget any recommendations make and models ? Thinking not to buy to expensive though Incase dogs wreck it
Have you picked a layout? There are plenty to chose from. Think about family size and where people will be sleeping. Will you have friends/family stay?

Most have removable carpets with hard floors under so they are easily cleaned. I’d get covers for the seats so the dogs can’t damage them.

16k is plenty. As Anth says, at this stage its mostly a matter of deciding what layout you want. Fixed beds save you having to make them up at bedtime and take them back up in the morning, but it depends if that can meet your needs with kids etc. Then you'll just have a ride around some dealers and choose from what they've got in your layout. As long as your vehicle will pull it of course. Most dealers are shitehawks, but Kimberley Caravans just off the A1 have a pretty good reputation. A 16k caravan should have a warranty, MB&G are generally the best warranty provider.

So have a ford ranger 3.2 to tow so think it will tow most caravans .layout am after fixed island bed . There is me my lass and 3 little dogs so thinking 4 berth will be enough ? But like the idea of 6 berth for the space

So have a ford ranger 3.2 to tow so think it will tow most caravans .layout am after fixed island bed . There is me my lass and 3 little dogs so thinking 4 berth will be enough ? But like the idea of 6 berth for the space
Yeah that will tow anything. Your only thought then on the longest is how comfortable you are towing them. 4 berth fixed bed will be fine.
Up to you if you do a towing course. They are not a legal requirement any more after they were dropped during covid.

Probably a good idea if you're not used to towing, although I never did one (as I passed my test in 1982) and have been fine.

Last edited:
Should be able to get something really decent 2nd hand with your budget. More for your money private but more peace of mind with a dealer warranty.
Whichever just make sure they go through and demo everything working properly and how to set up etc. Especially the heating and water systems as they give the most problems and can be the most confusing elements.

Second hand you should generally get everything you need like aquarolls but if not just buy second hand from Facebook etc. Always ones for sale.

Hire one for 3 months guarantee you will be change your mind and not buy one.
The weekly hassle of packing it up finding nice sites then pulling home soon kicks in
Buy a static on a family ran site with a pitch with great outlook near to a village 👍 load less hassle I tried both and static way forward
But make sure u get a good family site owner the national companies are ruthless
Try Weardale area some cracking sites there mate

Last edited:
Space can be an issue, especially if you go for a fixed bed. We initially had a 6 berth and slept on the double that you make up at the front, whilst the boy had one of the bunks at the back. We sharp got sick of making the bed up every day and night though and part ex’d for a fixed bed

Initial layout was very similar to this

New layout is like this, and we’ve got a full length awning which doubles the size of usable space and is class for our 3 dogs

Back