Tonight's Sunderland Echo - A New Low

I tend to forgive the Echo's many incomplete paragraphs, spelling errors, wrong version of words, untitled photographs etc, they are an irritation but trivial in the wider sense. Although I'm sure many former employees cringe when they read it.

Tonight, for me, was a new low. Our city's football team played a match last night that finished before 9.45pm. After reading the Tony Gillan bit in the middle I presumed that the match report, marks out of 10, opinion on the referee, some brief comments from the staff/players would have been towards the back.

Nothing, zilch, zippo, nil...........What's all that about? In the 1970's to 90's the Footy Echo was at the newsagents by 6pm.

They may as well shut up shop now if they can't do a match report with no extra time involved!
I delivered them in the 90's. Used to love checking the scores on back page!!

I tend to forgive the Echo's many incomplete paragraphs, spelling errors, wrong version of words, untitled photographs etc, they are an irritation but trivial in the wider sense. Although I'm sure many former employees cringe when they read it.

Tonight, for me, was a new low. Our city's football team played a match last night that finished before 9.45pm. After reading the Tony Gillan bit in the middle I presumed that the match report, marks out of 10, opinion on the referee, some brief comments from the staff/players would have been towards the back.

Nothing, zilch, zippo, nil...........What's all that about? In the 1970's to 90's the Footy Echo was at the newsagents by 6pm.

They may as well shut up shop now if they can't do a match report with no extra time involved!
The Echo has been poor for many years imo. Me Dad gets it delivered and it comes about 11am. That’s problies why it didn’t have the vital info on the match.

I still get the printed version, just habit.
I’m not at home at the minute but a mate actually sent a text today saying there wasn’t a match report, such was his disgust.
It’s obviously in it’s last throes, they’ll probably stop printing it shortly.
I’ve lost count in the last couple of years of the amount of errors printed of all types.

There's been rumours for years that it will eventually become a weekly paper or even go tits up altogether.

Not so long ago I would have been very sad if either of the above happened, but frankly I couldn't give a monkey's now that it's become a morning paper, with by and large very poor content.

There's been rumours for years that it will eventually become a weekly paper or even go tits up altogether.

Not so long ago I would have been very sad if either of the above happened, but frankly I couldn't give a monkey's now that it's become a morning paper, with by and large very poor content.

This, the idea that Sunderland wouldn't have an echo, even a few years ago, would have just seemed wrong. Now I see it as putting it out of its misery.

Remember walking back from the match and buying the Echo on Wearmouth Bridge and it had that day's football scores printed in the latest news , the Echo Office was right on the Bridge and it must have been quite lucrative for them selling lots of papers . The Football Echo was on sale just as we got back to Ryhope and they used to sell in vast numbers . The Echo is in my opinion is in terminal decline and earlier this year I cancelled our delivery as their was nothing in the paper worth reading , not easy but now never miss it.

Newspapers are shit, and in the very near future they won’t exist anymore. Thousands of trees felled, (yeah, yeah, sustainable forests etc.) loads of fossil fuels consumed in the manufacture and transport of a disposable item that has a life of less than a day.

You can get live news on your tablet or phone anywhere you can get a signal, what’s the point of buying a newspaper and their out of date news these days? Nearly into the third decade of the millennium and these things still exist!

I can’t understand people who continue to consume a product and whinge about it being crap. Stop bloody buying it, then! That’s how standards are kept- sales plummet, publisher realises it has to up its game or go under.

Then there’s Sunderland fans who buy the Chronicle and whinge about its pro Newcastle, anti SAFC reporting. WTF are you buying a Mag paper for?!

Back