Tommy Lynn - RIP

First met Tommy sitting in the main stand seats during the 3rd division promotion season with a couple of interesting away trips at the Boro and Preston thrown in most of the letters that season were about Dennis Smith not giving John Cornforth a start in midfield. Can remember my last chat with him walking back from a game last season full of positivity on the young team that was developing and that he thought Ballard was a new Dave Watson high praise indeed from a very knowledgeable and grounded fan. On the minutes applause on Monday I will be proud to say to those I sit beside I have had the pleasure of knowing Tommy.

I sent my wife on her way to that very tune as we left the crem on Monday.

She was just 61 having nursed people in Sunderland for 38 years.

There is no easy way. She had a progressive illness that dominated her last 3 or 4 years, where Tom continued to live life to the full to the very end. For me, the illness that dominated my wife's final years prepared us for the end. Tom went suddenly, which was better for him, but a massive shock for Alison, Julie and his family.

I first knew Tom from the Board Inn buses, and was welcomed twice as a Sheff United fan on the bus to Bramall Lane, guiding the bus up the back streets of Sheffield to the ground on the 2nd occasion. I went on a few other memorable trips like the trip to Grimsby where we had to go to the cop shop on the way home from a 3 nil defeat, only for the bus to break down at Teesside.

I also remember drinking with him, Alison, Billy and Denise with @DR CHEESE before the Bradford City cup game.

I last travelled to a game with Tom when I drove him, his son in law, @DR CHEESE and a mate to the New Years Day game at Blackpool, after he had celebrated the New Year in Hawes. He helped keep a fairly drunk @DR CHEESE in the car on the M55 on the way home, when he was in danger of falling out of the semi open rear door.

Tom had a lot of good times (which reminds me of a conversation we had about Nile Rodgers music) and will ultimately be remembered for those by the many people who knew him.

Always remember the good times and don't dwell on the sad ones.

RIP Tom.

Some great words of comfort there mate 🫂 and some good times to cherish.....

That new years day game at Blackpool was up there with one of the best away days, with me trying to drink Stella with Tom and Paul, I was lucky to get into Bloomfield road !
Still don't remember the car door been slightly open and Tom pulling me back in !

Going to miss those days 😪

Some great words of comfort there mate 🫂 and some good times to cherish.....

That new years day game at Blackpool was up there with one of the best away days, with me trying to drink Stella with Tom and Paul, I was lucky to get into Bloomfield road !
Still don't remember the car door been slightly open and Tom pulling me back in !

Going to miss those days 😪

Aye and who needed the Pleasure Beach when I drove round the roundabout 5 times trying to understand which exit Judith was telling me to go down to get to the pub. You Tom and his son in law with bottles clanking in the back as you swayed side to side as we went round and round.

I'm fittingly keeping this in football parlance in respect of Tom but what do you reckon the record attendance is for the crem, because his service could beat it!
I’ve been to a couple of well known Sunlun fans funeral where the turnout has been massive to be honest. Gary Breeds and Craig Whitfield both had massive turnouts, two great lads.

The first I ever remember of Tom was seeing his letters in the Northern echo down here in Darlo and then in the fanzines/programme and thinking this bloke is SAFC mad, he always keeps cropping up. Then getting to put a face to the name in the 90's. I only met him once but a very big loss and a very loved bloke going off the comments.
First notice T.Lynn letters appearing in the Football Echo early 70s . Met Tommy about 77 /78 couldn’t believe how young he was as his letters were so articulate and mature ,
must have been only 13/14 when letters began to be published
In that era the Football Echo was like a bible to fans, no phone ins , no social media. People who regularly contributed become well known for their views . Not many had more letters published then T. Lynn . ( In a more innocent age letters were published with full address including the number of house )
While Tommy loved SAFC with a passion , certain people in the clubs Hierarchy must have dreaded his letters appearing . As his criticism of the clubs policy’s were so well put .
Apart for his Literary skills Tommy was also a great talker and a excellent listener,a Combination that doesn’t always go together . Noticed over years people who were Strangers to him would Approach him to give him their opinions ,he always had time for them .
RIP T .Lynn

First notice T.Lynn letters appearing in the Football Echo early 70s . Met Tommy about 77 /78 couldn’t believe how young he was as his letters were so articulate and mature ,
must have been only 13/14 when letters began to be published
In that era the Football Echo was like a bible to fans, no phone ins , no social media. People who regularly contributed become well known for their views . Not many had more letters published then T. Lynn . ( In a more innocent age letters were published with full address including the number of house )
While Tommy loved SAFC with a passion , certain people in the clubs Hierarchy must have dreaded his letters appearing . As his criticism of the clubs policy’s were so well put .
Apart for his Literary skills Tommy was also a great talker and a excellent listener,a Combination that doesn’t always go together . Noticed over years people who were Strangers to him would Approach him to give him their opinions ,he always had time for them .
RIP T .Lynn

Nail on the head there Tom always had time for his fellow SAFC fans.

Planned for Monday, applause on 66 and playing Cheer Up Peter Reid, piece by Rob Mason will be in the following home games programme, too late for Blackburn as it was already in print.

I know that wasn't your original question, sorry I don't know I wasn't there and didn't see any of the first half.
Would Cheer up Tommy Lynn be okay.Seem’s appropriate

Back