Tom Lockyer

It sounds like he has Atrial Fibrillation, something i have, it is to do with "the electrics" in the heart and my experience over the last coupe of years with it there's just no rhyme or reason to it, his heart could start hammering at any time with being an athlete, he's been very brave to try and continue to play, all the best to him hope he's okay.
Take care mate.

So if he’s suffered a cardiac arrest does that mean they would have had to use a defibrillator?

The reactions at the time seemed to suggest it was more serious than first thought.

Hopefully he recovers fully.

Thanks, that's a lovely comment. I get why he's not particularly liked on this board but if he played for Sunderland, you would absolutely love him.

Funnily enough, I had a pint with his dad at halftime in our league fixture at your place back in March. Absolutely lovely bloke from the West Country. Told me that his mum hates his 'shithousery' and bollocks him after every game.

His dad hit the nail on the head though. Talent wise he is average, Div One at best. His sheer will to win though has got him playing at a far higher level than he should be at.

Outside of football he is always the first to volunteer for any charity type events.

He is an absolute top bloke who sadly will never play football again.

For all the Sunderland fans who gave posted about him, it is hugely appreciated.

Thank you.
I stand by him
Should never happen to a professional player

Lucky lad. If you are going to have a heart attack may as well do it when there are loads of medics about and a hotline to the local hospital.
Twice

Thanks, that's a lovely comment. I get why he's not particularly liked on this board but if he played for Sunderland, you would absolutely love him.

Funnily enough, I had a pint with his dad at halftime in our league fixture at your place back in March. Absolutely lovely bloke from the West Country. Told me that his mum hates his 'shithousery' and bollocks him after every game.

His dad hit the nail on the head though. Talent wise he is average, Div One at best. His sheer will to win though has got him playing at a far higher level than he should be at.

Outside of football he is always the first to volunteer for any charity type events.

He is an absolute top bloke who sadly will never play football again.

For all the Sunderland fans who gave posted about him, it is hugely appreciated.

Thank you.
Could be describing Luke O’Nien there.
Hope Lockyer is fine. He sounds like a decent bloke who has made the most of his talent.

Suffers from atrial fibulaion apparently . Quite amazing that he can play top level sport with . I've had it for years but with medication it's no problem but the skipping of heart beats can be dangerous if heart under stress . He is such a hard working player ,that I'm surprised he doesn't get more attacks than he does .
Good luck to him .

Would imagine both club and player are insured. Club will cover asset value for remainder of contract plus any liability costs I'd assume. By liability I mean dying under their medical staff care.

I'm pretty sure he'll get a decent old sum if he does call it a day. Which he really should.
Alfie Mawson (ex Swansea and other teams) was on a podcast a while back saying after a knee injury his insurance shot up, had another knee injury and then they just refused to cover it so when he finally had to give up playing he either wasn't covered at all or for very little. It was a while ago I listened so I could be slightly wrong on certain parts.

I hope the player is fully covered but if not fingers crossed he was advised like Mawson who invested a lot of his wages into sensible decisions and said a fancy night out was going to nandos with his girlfriend who he had known since he was a teenager.

Hope he can make as full a recovery as possible, get a job within football if he wants it but also gets to live for another 50 years, sadly can't see him being a professional footballer after this but there's more important things than that.

This is what I don’t understand, if he simply collapsed and was motionless, would it have had that sort of reaction?
He probably blacked out , have the same condition and was standing at the bar about to order a drink . Completely lost it and just managed to hold myself upright. Felt like I was going to faint . Staff looked at me thinking I had had a heart attack but it quickly passed and I felt fine although I was shaky for about half an hour , never did get my drink . I'm surprised he can play at such an elite level with his condition .

He probably blacked out , have the same condition and was standing at the bar about to order a drink . Completely lost it and just managed to hold myself upright. Felt like I was going to faint . Staff looked at me thinking I had had a heart attack but it quickly passed and I felt fine although I was shaky for about half an hour , never did get my drink . I'm surprised he can play at such an elite level with his condition .

Apparently he actually arrested. I suspect this is the end of his career, with two serious episodes on-field in six months.

Was confirmed on Luton's twitter he went into cardiac arrest, not good. Has to be the end of his career surely... twice in 6ish months.

Apparently he actually arrested. I suspect this is the end of his career, with two serious episodes on-field in six months.
Quite possibly a small blood clot got through past the valves , that's the worry with this condition . One of the drugs taken is blood thinners. If it was a clot that caused him to arrest ,then he would be daft to continue playing . Next time it could be a bigger clot that will kill him .

Lucky lad. If you are going to have a heart attack may as well do it when there are loads of medics about and a hotline to the local hospital.
Twice
Cardiac arrest and heart attacks are different things.

The former is an electrical problem and it will kill within minutes without medical attention.

The latter is a plumbing problem with a big range of seriousness. A lot of people have them without knowing until they get a scan for something else and see the damage.

He is a VERY lucky boy indeed if he has survived a cardiac arrest. Fewer than 1 in 10 will survive a cardiac arrest outside of a hospital.

I'd be cashing in the insurance and buying a pub if I was in his shoes. No way would I play competitive football again. Not an effing chance.

Alfie Mawson (ex Swansea and other teams) was on a podcast a while back saying after a knee injury his insurance shot up, had another knee injury and then they just refused to cover it so when he finally had to give up playing he either wasn't covered at all or for very little. It was a while ago I listened so I could be slightly wrong on certain parts.

I hope the player is fully covered but if not fingers crossed he was advised like Mawson who invested a lot of his wages into sensible decisions and said a fancy night out was going to nandos with his girlfriend who he had known since he was a teenager.

Hope he can make as full a recovery as possible, get a job within football if he wants it but also gets to live for another 50 years, sadly can't see him being a professional footballer after this but there's more important things than that.
Apparently relatively few are now insured by their club. I suppose some will choose to as you or I could but the cost will be huge to cover a top level players wage I’d imagine.

Needs to retire for himself and the game. We can't have people potentially dying on the pitch during a game, or collapsing every 20-odd games. Yes it sounds harsh but repeat events like these won't do him or football any good.

Christian Eriksen has a device fitted, is that something Lockyer could get?
If it's Atrial Fibrillation he has i don't think a pacemaker is an option (if that's what you mean), an ablation procedure is possibly what he had done the first time, there is something else they could try which involves trying to correct the electrics in the heart which are giving out the wrong signals, but he might just end up having to pack in and go on beta blockers. All depends exactly what heart condition he has.

Cardiac arrest and heart attacks are different things.

The former is an electrical problem and it will kill within minutes without medical attention.

The latter is a plumbing problem with a big range of seriousness. A lot of people have them without knowing until they get a scan for something else and see the damage.

He is a VERY lucky boy indeed if he has survived a cardiac arrest. Fewer than 1 in 10 will survive a cardiac arrest outside of a hospital.

I'd be cashing in the insurance and buying a pub if I was in his shoes. No way would I play competitive football again. Not an effing chance.
I presume he had an ablation procedure for his AF, was checked to exclude HOCM, but, like a few athletes where the left ventricle is often bigger, the risk of arrhythmia remains. Probably had VF triggering an arrest. At least a shockable rhythm. Lucky man (no irony), like Eriksson, to have arrested with medics and a defib so close

Back