Tolent gone into Administration?

Intrigued. I don’t see any of those likely to be exposed (medium sized) like Manners or Brims being in a pickle, primarily because the social house building programmes are being dialled in for the year ahead and the grants are huge.

This hasn’t come from that.
As I climb the ladder and become the main contractor on jobs that run into the millions it Doesn’t surprise me that companies go bust.

Tiny margins ,

Massive risk,

Cost consultants and QS’s playing cat and mouse,

Being liable to Price increases and fluctuations.

Mental penalty clauses/liquidated damages is the job doesn’t go to plan.

The tail trying to Wag the dog where Labour is concerned.

As I climb the ladder and become the main contractor on jobs that run into the millions it Doesn’t surprise me that companies go bust.

Tiny margins ,

Massive risk,

It’s not just the main people going bust, it’s the trickle down to all the subbies. No winners and as you say, margins are way too thin.

It’s not just the main people going bust, it’s the trickle down to all the subbies. No winners and as you say, margins are way too thin.

I work in local authority highways bidding - it’s an absolute shitshow for unsustainable pricing. But when Council’s have had their government grant cut to the bone, of course they are going to be massively driven by price, even if they know realistically that it’s not sustainable.

Tiny margins ,

Massive risk,

Do you have a decent contracts manager or are you/ your QS responsible for this?

Do you have a decent contracts manager or are you/ your QS responsible for this?
My QS / cost consultant rips people a new arsehole for me mate when needed along with my input and oversight.
He canny clued up.

Im generally the good cop out the two of us even though I’m paying the wages.

I look after the lads /subbies/ customers whilst he fights my corner behind the scenes contractually .

Last edited:
My QS / cost consultant rips people a new arsehole for me mate when needed along with my input and oversight.
He canny clued up.

I look after the lads /subbies/ customers whilst he fights my corner behind the scenes contractually .
Its way more painful than it needs to be gillly. Had a bellyfull tbh.

He canny clued up.

You can mitigate some of the risk pre contract so you’re not in a position where the client can impose spurious claims or you’re fighting LD’s because of other parties delaying your works.

If your QS is on top of their game then you should be in a better position, but that doesn’t mean there’s no risk on you.

Its way more painful than it needs to be gillly. Had a bellyfull tbh.
I’ve had a week of arguing the toss aswell over contracts. It’s very draining.

Your only a Christmas Toy, you’ve got a long way to go yit che
You can mitigate some of the risk pre contract so you’re not in a position where the client can impose spurious claims or you’re fighting LD’s because of other parties delaying your works.

If your QS is on top of their game then you should be in a better position, but that doesn’t mean there’s no risk on you.
Yes we have fluctuation clauses etc drafted into contracts but still there’s a lot of risk.

Last edited:
I’ve had a week of arguing the toss aswell over contracts. It’s very draining.

Your only a Christmas Toy, you’ve got a long way to go yit che

Yes we have fluctuation clauses etc drafted into contracts but still there’s a lot of risk.
😂 fuck off. You’d be suprised che.

Tiny margins ,

Massive risk,

I don't know how many subbies and main-contractors I saw go under. Multi million pound concerns. Firms established for centuries and then just one job, one major cock-up. Had a senior site agent on one job, let's call him Colin. Utter bull-shitter. Thought bull shit baffled brains. Got him moved on and the very big company of the time then put him on a site next to Lloyds of London. Colin, hearing that the piling rig had hit an obstruction went full bore and pressed on without looking at the survey of the known underground services. Straight through the main tele-comms cable then serving the London Stock Exchange. The Exchange was out for the day, Colin was out of a job and the major construction company who's name may have rhymed with Pigs and Pills folded virtually overnight. Damages were colossal. Like you say massive risk and tiny margins. Heard it described more than once as penniless prosperity. One big firm I worked for, you posted you had a drink with the regional director a month or so ago, the Estimating dept reckoned they took a tenth of their budget and would expect to win one in ten bids. When they did the first thing they asked themselves was have we just made an enormous cock-up?
And as a subbie- going onto the main - have you, did you ,ever visit the Store St bookshop part of what was, possibly what still is, the London Building Centre? Just up from Tottenham Court tube?
I spent a couple of afternoons there years ago getting a whole load of books about the risks subbies and main contractors take on, cos I was tempted, and afterwards having read what I did I steered a far less spectacular course than your good self. Still ended up with a Rolex and a Juliette balcony mind but such things are of not much interest to me so I gave the watch away to a nephew.

We are miles away in attitude and beliefs but always good to see someone from Sunderland making the best of himself.
So take care. Wish you the best.
Seriously.

Back