Titanic Tourist Sub Has Gone Missing

Easy to say with hindsight, I dont think you can blame them too much.
It's not a question of blaming those who died for anything but strange that people who had such huge resources and who presumably realised that such dives were incredibly dangerous didn't get an independant "expert" to check things out.

There's a Scottish Engineer called Scott Manly who did an informal live stream chat about the Titan. He covers some of its design and safety features compared to other submersibles, and the energies released when it failed. Very interesting, veers off in the second hour as he answers some live stream questions (and I'd guess he's at least... 3 pints in?).

The odd thing I find about this whole affair is that the businessmen who died were clearly very successful & very wealthy men. They were people who I doubt would have ever considered entering in to even the smallest business deal without a small army of their staff doing a whole lot of due dilligence on the other party and without formally assessing the risks involved in the deal.

It seemed to be an open secret that this submersible was of a very controversial design and that there were plenty of experts in the field who knew about it in detail and that some had very strong opinions on it. Yet the victims appeared to have been happy to accept the owner/designer's assurances that the craft that they were going to risk their lives in was safe. Even though that might have been his genuine belief his assessment of the safety of his own sub was hardly going to be impartial . I know the passengers all signed disclaimers but that was "just in case" after all the owner of the sub was making he dive with them.

What I can't understand is that you wouldn't buy a house for the money that these guys paid for the trip without getting your own survey done - let alone go ahead with something so dangerous that it could very well lead to your death.
Hadn’t this thing done a few successful dives already though? I don’t know the number but it was at least half a dozen, so I guess they hedged their bets and thought it would be ok.

Edit - 14 times before!

Last edited:
Hadn’t this thing done a few successful dives already though? I don’t know the number but it was at least half a dozen, so I guess they hedged their bets and thought it would be ok.
I'm not sure if I recall correctly but I think the previous had dives had been cut short due to issues... I might have seen it in a YouTube video so apologies if I'm off the mark.

I'm not sure if I recall correctly but I think the previous had dives had been cut short due to issues... I might have seen it in a YouTube video so apologies if I'm off the mark.
Not sure marra, Google says 14 times. But how true that is…

“Despite this, the company was able to go ahead with the Titanic dives in 2021, and since then, the Titan has been back down to the wreck 14 times in total, six times in 2021 and seven times in 2022. Due to poor weather, OceanGate was only able to perform one dive in 2023.“

Last edited:
Some nerd giving an analysis of an supposed leaked transcript of the coms between the submersible and the surface support vessel.

No idea if this transcript is legit but it suggests they knew they were in bother for about 20 minutes before the end.

Grim as fuck.

Some nerd giving an analysis of an supposed leaked transcript of the coms between the submersible and the surface support vessel.

No idea if this transcript is legit but it suggests they knew they were in bother for about 20 minutes before the end.

Grim as fuck.

I thought they had no communication just a ping every so often to indicate they were OK and in position

Grim as fuck.

Seems likely the transcript is a hoax, which is a horrendous thing to do to the families. Some people are such scum.

There was originally a 'transcript' that was 'leaked' that was voice comms between the sub and the Polar Prince. Which was clearly bullshit, because there were no voice comms between the sub and the support vessel. So a few days after, this 'message' transcript came out, which pretty much repeats the supposed voice comms only with messages this time.

Grim as fuck.

I would suggest tis is fake. They had text comms and tracking. If they had have asked the sub for their depth, it would of been a comparison.

Also, the language used seems a bit long winded.

Sorry if SEB but this makes it apparent that Rush who was head of the project was the worst sort of reckless entrepreneur

Not only were there multiple qualified submersible pilot and technicians reports about the safety of the craft, but the people responsible for them were fired, threatened with lawsuits and deportation if they weren't US citizens.

At one point Rush asked if his head of accounts wanted to take over as chief pilot despite having no experience what so ever.

They reclassed passengers as crew because the legal consequences of killing crew were far more lenient than killing passengers

Edit - 14 times before!

On one of the occasions the passengers had to rock the sub on the surface of the ocean to get it unstuck

On another the thrusters had been put on the sub at the wrong angle meaning the controller the driver had to pilot it would only allow the sub to do 360's on the bottom on the ocean floor. It was only because they could re-map the controller that they didn't get stick down there

They made no changes to the sub after these

Last edited:
f***ing hell man

Not really surprising news tbh, the CEO died in the accident and the firm are unlikely to continue as a result of his death, the publicity, safety concerns and any potential lawsuits.

It's not a question of blaming those who died for anything but strange that people who had such huge resources and who presumably realised that such dives were incredibly dangerous didn't get an independant "expert" to check things out.

Yes , every time I’ve done something dangerous I’ve hired an independent expert just in case …..

Back