Time travel question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, however the gravity required would need to be massive enough to be measurable, perhaps from a black hole. The earth would be sucked into a singularity and destroyed, also the observation would be same relative to everyone on the earth before being squashed. The time dialation would only be constrasted if someone transverses away from the gravitational waves of the black hole!
You know your onions. ;)

The problem with time dilation due to light speed travel is that if you went to the nearest star beyond the Sun using the fastest spacecraft we have at the moment IIRC it would take you 80,000 years each way so 160,000 years to return. Unless you were in cryogenic storage you would never get there and even when your descendants returned it would be to an Earth which which was more advanced than when you left. If you did it at light speed I think it is 4 light years so by the time you returned everyone you knew would be dead, the human race would be super advanced and your spacecraft would be a museum piece.

The problem with time dilation due to light speed travel is that if you went to the nearest star beyond the Sun using the fastest spacecraft we have at the moment IIRC it would take you 80,000 years each way so 160,000 years to return. Unless you were in cryogenic storage you would never get there and even when your descendants returned it would be to an Earth which which was more advanced than when you left. If you did it at light speed I think it is 4 light years so by the time you returned everyone you knew would be dead, the human race would be super advanced and your spacecraft would be a museum piece.
Still no trophy for the mags.

Was bored at work today and this popped into my head for some reason.

Imagine you invented a time machine in your living room. As time is linear and if you went forward or back in time the machine would stay in the same poition where your living room would be at any point in time . It's well known you can't just visit a particular point as the machine doesn't move only time does .

Now imagine if you went forward and there was a nuclear war and a bomb exploded near your house would you die at the point when you passed that time when the bomb went off or would you simply just pass by it and continue to your chosen date??

I'm thinking you'd die as you'd be at that point at which the bomb went off and you'd die the same as everyone else.

Dunno why I thought of that I just did .

BBC two at the moment:

Horizon: How To Build A Time Machine

BBC two at the moment:

Horizon: How To Build A Time Machine
Watching it.:)

Time slows down for that female astronaut so she is 0.2 seconds younger, yet when she come's back down to Earth, her time zone syncs back into ours, how? Is she now always 0.2 seconds younger, physically, or has the matter that makes up her body just aged 0.2 seconds slower than the matter on Earth?

Particles and matter decay and change or even evolve from nowhere
I'd argue that's a misinterpretation of the uncertainty in Quantum Mechanics but you could probably find 100 links to "prove" your argument so I won't. ;)

Is she now always 0.2 seconds younger, physically, or has the matter that makes up her body just aged 0.2 seconds slower than the matter on Earth?
The latter. Her atoms have aged 0.2 seconds less than yours.

'If you did it at light speed I think it is 4 light years so by the time you returned everyone you knew would be dead'

I must be dumb, please explain. If you travel at the speed of light on an 8-year round trip, would that not just take 8 years?

If you travel at the speed of light on an 8-year round trip, would that not just take 8 years?
Yes it would, hence "light years".

Or alternatively, while designing your Time Machine, make it bomb/everything proof just in case.
Afaik, it's theoretically impossible to create a movie-esque "time machine" as seen in HG Wells' 'The Time Machine' due to the fact that the matter that made up the time machine would itself travel "backwards" to the point where it no longer existed. The time machine would dematerialise infront of your very eyes. You'd have to somehow freeze the matter in a state where it didn't interact with "time" or energy. Afaik, that's impossible due to a number of conservation laws.

It's either FTL time travel or gravitational time-dilation. Those are our only options. DeLoreans are out of the question, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back