This "use both lanes" malarkey

Audi driver ^^^^^^^^
Mag.

So what do you reckon merge in turn means?
By the way I concede the point the op made in his situation about freeing the roundabout up.
In the other 99% of cases it is just dickheads jumping the queue and justifying it with “but it says use both lanes” whilst ignoring the merge in turn bit.
The people in the non-closing lane have right of way and don’t need to let you in.
BMW or Audi btw?
No they don't, because it says "use both lanes".
Merge in turn means at the point the 2 lanes become one, otherwise there's just no point to it.

Last edited:
Have you not realised that you are the only one on this thread taking this stance? Does that not tell you something?
What stance?
I clarified that in your circumstance you did the correct thing - I confess that I didn’t read the original post properly.
99% of the time people use the empty lane to queue jump not to ease congestion. Actually if the lane is moving merging earlier is more efficient - providing a junction/roundabout is not being blocked.
Section 288 by the way if you are really that interested in the Highway Code.

I drive a road everyday that has a merge in turn

On the way to work no issues at all works fine people letting cars in traffic moves quite quickly. On the way home no chance anyone is letting someone in so the traffic backs up to the roundabout sometimes back to the next dual carriageway.

Most the time it's not worth the hassle to try and actually merge in turn

So what do you reckon merge in turn means?
By the way I concede the point the op made in his situation about freeing the roundabout up.
In the other 99% of cases it is just dickheads jumping the queue and justifying it with “but it says use both lanes” whilst ignoring the merge in turn bit.
The people in the non-closing lane have right of way and don’t need to let you in.
BMW or Audi btw?

merge in turn means that, merge in turn where or near the lane closure

using both lanes is not jumping the queue.

if drivers would do that, traffic would move along.

how can you justify a driver trying to get into the open lane and blocking the lane that is closed 200/300 yards from the lane closed point

merge in turn means that, merge in turn where or near the lane closure

using both lanes is not jumping the queue.

if drivers would do that, traffic would move along.

how can you justify a driver trying to get into the open lane and blocking the lane that is closed 200/300 yards from the lane closed point
Where did I justify that?

What part of this do people have a problem with?
Today I was at Tyne Dock in Shields (going out of town) and the roundabout before the roadworks was total gridlock because everyone was trying to get in the "right" lane. I got to the roundabout and there was the sign "use both lanes" so I trundled down the inside lane doing my bit to relieve the traffic at the roundabout, however my good deed was thrown back in my face when no bastard would let me in when I got to the cones.
I managed to squeeze in front of an Insignia and he went crackas blaring his horn and giving me the wanker sign.

Obviously the SMB resident Reginald Molehusbands will deem me to be in the wrong so let the abuse begin :lol:
I was in an Audi as well.

I drive down that stretch every day and it has been bugging the tits off me this last week. I mentioned it to my mate and he said it was "bad manners" to drive to the end of the closing lane. Meanwhile the roundabout is snarled up to fuck. I just can't believe how so many people can be so stupid.

I drive down that stretch every day and it has been bugging the tits off me this last week. I mentioned it to my mate and he said it was "bad manners" to drive to the end of the closing lane. Meanwhile the roundabout is snarled up to fuck. I just can't believe how so many people can be so stupid.

If there is only say 6/7 cars in the right lane and someone drives straight down to the cones and forces himself in, that's bad manners. If the roundabout is totally gridlocked though, those that try merging just after the roundabout are absolutely clueless and shouldn't be allowed on the road.

So who has right of way?
It’s not a case of right of way it’s a case of being courteous to other drivers and realising that the point of using both lanes and merging in turn is to keep tragic moving. Not just at the point if the merge either. Of course you could always sit in the left hand lane being stubborn and stressing about people overtaking you then not let them in and think you’ve got one over on them causing congestion at a roundabout 500 yards back.. What a fella.

Back