This "use both lanes" malarkey

What a load of bollocks.

You merge in turn when required to, in this case when one of the lanes begins to drop out. How on earth would you be prosecuted for following the direction given on a road sign? You haven’t thought this through have you?
Haven’t you got some black fellas to harass cuntstubble?

What part of this do people have a problem with?
Today I was at Tyne Dock in Shields (going out of town) and the roundabout before the roadworks was total gridlock because everyone was trying to get in the "right" lane. I got to the roundabout and there was the sign "use both lanes" so I trundled down the inside lane doing my bit to relieve the traffic at the roundabout, however my good deed was thrown back in my face when no bastard would let me in when I got to the cones.
I managed to squeeze in front of an Insignia and he went crackas blaring his horn and giving me the wanker sign.

Obviously the SMB resident Reginald Molehusbands will deem me to be in the wrong so let the abuse begin :lol:
I was in an Audi as well.

Audi driver ^^^^^^^^

Tbh the correct way is to use both lanes and to merge in turn . It's called zip merging and us in the highway code. Only spenks and wimmen divent know this .

The problem with merge in turn is that, while in principle the traffic uses more of the road capacity, it’s clear from this thread that the psychology of most drivers means it doesn’t work correctly.

If, for example, traffic used two lanes to then merge in turn whilst maintaining a reasonable speed, then all good.

But, the reason it doesn’t work is that there are two polar opposites, those who think it’s noble to wait patiently in the correct lane and those who believe it’s their right to then still use the lane which is closed further down the road.

Inevitably, this creates almost stationary traffic with no gaps between cars for one lane to merge into the other.

The problem here is that the drivers who drive in the closing lane are selfish in their philosophy. Yes, this lane moves through the construction faster, but this creates a back up in the other lane and in addition conflict between the two types of driver.

Last edited:
What a load of bollocks.

You merge in turn when required to, in this case when one of the lanes begins to drop out. How on earth would you be prosecuted for following the direction given on a road sign? You haven’t thought this through have you?

Highway Code specifically says to use the left lane in these situations and merge.

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Furthermore it is actually beneficial for drivers to use both lanes until the last second then zip merge. Anyone who thinks they’re in the right by sitting for 20 minutes and blocking someone doing that is someone who probably shouldn’t be on the road.

Zip-merging: why drivers who merge at the last minute are right | RAC Drive

The problem with merge in turn is that, while in principle the traffic uses more of the road capacity, it’s clear from this thread that the psychology of most drivers means it doesn’t work correctly.

If, for example, traffic used two lanes to then merge in turn whilst maintaining a reasonable speed, then all good.

But, the reason it doesn’t work is that there are two polar opposites, those who think it’s noble to wait patiently in the correct lane and those who believe it’s their right to then still use the lane which is closed further down the road.

Inevitably, this creates almost stationary traffic with no gaps between cars for one lane to merge into the other.

The problem here is that the drivers who drive in the closing lane are selfish in their philosophy. Yes, this lane moves through the construction faster, but this creates a back up in the other lane and in addition conflict between the two types of driver.

Not all merge in turns are in roadworks. Eg Sandy Lane in Gosforth. It's there to prevent the roundabout on Rotary Way/A1 and turnoff to Wide-open being blocked by traffic queues. There are probably more but I have to use this one every work day and it works

Highway Code specifically says to use the left lane in these situations and merge.

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Furthermore it is actually beneficial for drivers to use both lanes until the last second then zip merge. Anyone who thinks they’re in the right by sitting for 20 minutes and blocking someone doing that is someone who probably shouldn’t be on the road.

Zip-merging: why drivers who merge at the last minute are right | RAC Drive

No it doesn’t and thanks for proving I was right

This entire thread just goes to prove that a large percentage of the population are mentally unbalanced and use their car as a shield for their obvious inadequacies, like hiding behind the keyboard on SMB :lol:.

People enjoy these situations to feel in control, blocking the right hand lane to stop people 'cheating' :rolleyes:. Imagine if they deliberately obstructed someone walking along a path? They wouldn't have the bottle most of the time and if they did they'd get a kicking.

You passed other cars and therefore didn’t merge in turn. They were wrong but so were you.

It’s very self explanatory. It definitely doesn’t mean drive past a load of cars who were in front of you- thereby not merging in turn.
He was equally as wrong as they were.

use both lanes means that

merge in turn does not mean merge in turn 200 yards before the lane is blocked.

use both lanes means that

merge in turn does not mean merge in turn 200 yards before the lane is blocked.
So what do you reckon merge in turn means?
By the way I concede the point the op made in his situation about freeing the roundabout up.
In the other 99% of cases it is just dickheads jumping the queue and justifying it with “but it says use both lanes” whilst ignoring the merge in turn bit.
The people in the non-closing lane have right of way and don’t need to let you in.
BMW or Audi btw?

Back