This is Spinal Tap- BBC1 11.40PM

It`s OK Dobby Dawson told me Harry Shearer went out on tour with them and based his stage moves on him.

And quite a few other things. And some dressing room stuff. And some stuff that was probably said. And not just by the headline band.

Ex Saxon bassist Steve Dawson……

Logon or register to see this image

Interesting Dobbie factoid. He shat himself every night.

He got so worked up during the set he would literally shit himself. He had a few towels on the rider for every gig and used them after every performance.

I saw the state of the towels a couple of times.

THAT wasn’t in the film.

The bit about the shape of the bread versus the shape of the meat? Yep. Not Saxon though.

I could go on. But I’ll not.

I hope they're broadcasting it in Dubley

He got so worked up during the set he would literally shit himself. He had a few towels on the rider for every gig and used them after every performance.

THAT wasn’t in the film.

The bit about the shape of the bread versus the shape of the meat? Yep. Not Saxon though.

They did discuss the concept of a nappy roadie in Bad News though

Last edited:
Despite them being of similar subjects I think both Bad News and Spinal Tap are different enough to be enjoyed equally on their own merits. BN is a bout a band that will never make it (despite Donington) whereas Tap are in the where are they now category.
Fun fact - Christopher Guest is the base doctor who appears on the witness stand in A Few Good Men.

Despite them being of similar subjects I think both Bad News and Spinal Tap are different enough to be enjoyed equally on their own merits. BN is a bout a band that will never make it (despite Donington) whereas Tap are in the where are they now category.
Fun fact - Christopher Guest is the base doctor who appears on the witness stand in A Few Good Men.

I might have got this wrong but I am pretty sure I heard Mike’s character in the Young Ones was originally meant for Peter Richardson, so it would have had the same four main cast members as Bad News.

I think he’d have made a great Mike.

I might have got this wrong but I am pretty sure I heard Mike’s character in the Young Ones was originally meant for Peter Richardson, so it would have had the same four main cast members as Bad News.

I think he’d have made a great Mike.
From his Wikipedia page:
Mike in BBC comedy The Young Ones was written with Richardson in mind but he did not take part for reasons partly connected to his earlier disagreement with Paul Jackson and due his commitments with The Comic Strip. Richardson was replaced by Christopher Ryan.
Didn’t know about the fallout but knew about the comic strip commitment bit.

Last edited:

THAT wasn’t in the film.

Dobbie is class. I interviewed him and Graham Oliver a couple of times and they were a joy. Very funny, great stories and genuinely down to earth salt of the earth Yorkshire lads.
When they can’t find the stage door, still gets me every time.
Hello Cleveland!! HELLO CLEVELAND!!!!!

We say, ‘Love your brother.’ We don’t say it really, but…
-We don’t literally say it.
No, we don’t say it.
-We don’t really, literally mean it.
No, we don’t believe it either, but…
-But we’re not racists.
But that message should be clear, anyway.
-We’re anything but racists.

THAT wasn’t in the film.

Spinal Pap

Back