[Third test] England v Australia - Perth

Doesn’t start until Thursday but thought this article was a good kick off

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...nd-australia-perth-guardian-writers-pick-team

Interesting that most pick the same side, albeit in a different order. With a couple promoting Foakes for Vince and one with Wood for Overton.

We’re in a mess, there is no doubt.

Vince is never a 3
Ali is never a 6 and his bowling has been minging
Bairstow must bat higher

Sadly, the choices we have are limited. I’d get rid of Vince, again, but I’d stick with Malan. That has to mean Foakes as there is no way I’m picking Ballance. And we are assuming they won’t go to the lions yet (maybe Wood apart, pleading it was always the plan to get him fit).

Perth is not going to be quick. Thankfully. It’s the last test at the WACA, a ground England have won at once (in 78). We need runs from Cook and Root. And we can win this. Maybe

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...nd-australia-perth-guardian-writers-pick-team

Interesting that most pick the same side, albeit in a different order. With a couple promoting Foakes for Vince and one with Wood for Overton.

Vince is never a 3
Bairstow must bat higher

Sadly, the choices we have are limited. I’d get rid of Vince, again, but I’d stick with Malan. That has to mean Foakes as there is no way I’m picking Ballance. And we are assuming they won’t go to the lions yet (maybe Wood apart, pleading it was always the plan to get him fit).

Perth is not going to be quick. Thankfully. It’s the last test at the WACA, a ground England have won at once (in 78). We need runs from Cook and Root. And we can win this. Maybe
Agreed Vince has to be dropped. Everyone pushes up with Foakes (never seen the lad play) slotting in at 7.

The whole England trip has been a calamity and I just can’t see us playing 5 days of top cricket to win a test. Almost if the players are going through the motions

Agreed Vince has to be dropped. Everyone pushes up with Foakes (never seen the lad play) slotting in at 7.

The whole England trip has been a calamity and I just can’t see us playing 5 days of top cricket to win a test. Almost if the players are going through the motions
He plays up the order for Surrey and does well. I don't recall seeing him play but The Rey said he's a bit unorthodox - but if it's a debut it may be a good idea to hide him down the order first time out.

Vince is never a 3
Bairstow must bat higher

Same team but swapping Bairstow and Ali around. Slight caveat re Wood as I have no idea of his fitness, likelihood of staying strong through a 5 day test etc. Loads of weaknesses but I see faults on all other suggestions also. I would never have took Vince in a million years but they did, he's had one good test and one bad one and there's no 'sure thing' replacement so I would probably just go with him again.

Same team but swapping Bairstow and Ali around. Slight caveat re Wood as I have no idea of his fitness, likelihood of staying strong through a 5 day test etc. Loads of weaknesses but I see faults on all other suggestions also. I would never have took Vince in a million years but they did, he's had one good test and one bad one and there's no 'sure thing' replacement so I would probably just go with him again.
He’s the monty panesar syndrome tho isn’t he? Playing the same test over and over. Waft waft waft

I give him lots of credit for Brisbane, but have zero trust

Foakes in for Vince at 7, with Root up to 3, Malan (who should be out but is reprieved by a lack of replacements) to 4, Bairstow to 5 and Ali at 6.

I don’t think Overton deserves to be dropped for a half fit Wood so I’d give him another test- if we lose then there’s no point risking Wood in the final two dead rubbers anyway.

He’s had one good innings in 9 tests and averages 20, he has to go

should catch em off guard and hoy Stokes into the fold. Now that would put the cat amongst the pigeons. I'd like to see them start sledging Bairstow with Stokes on the field :cool:

if the toss is won, bat first.

score 400 plus and a win is on

fail to do that and also, when Australia bat, take wickets 6 to 10 for less than 75, it will at Best be a draw or a likely defeat.

really is that straightforward on paper than reality though.

also for me lyon just bowls top spin, which are batters are making look like warne turning it a yard.

straight bat shots down the ground and when the bouncers fly, just duck, or let it hit you, in the chest like Brian close

I've never seen a bouncer hit the wicket, or get a lbw, so let them go, as they cant bowl them all day

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Ali
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Would be my team

Would be mine too. They won't drop Vince yet though, plus I doubt Root will go up to 3. Unfortunately.

As for Wood, playing and bowling overs which is good, but heard something today from a journo about Bayliss not thinking he'd be reliable given the time he's had off. Well, I'm sorry, but I couldn't care how long he's had off. If he's bowling quick, we need him in NOW because we need to win NOW.

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Bairstow
Malan
Ali
Foakes
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Anderson

I think Overton did enough, and I’m still not convinced by Wood, he gets better the less he plays and is hardly fit

Foakes as I can’t go with Vince or Ballance. I’d maybe even go Jennings or Livingstone to be honest with Bairstow at 6 and Ali at 7

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Bairstow
Malan
Ali
Foakes
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Anderson

I think Overton did enough, and I’m still not convinced by Wood, he gets better the less he plays and is hardly fit

Foakes as I can’t go with Vince or Ballance. I’d maybe even go Jennings or Livingstone to be honest with Bairstow at 6 and Ali at 7
I know what you mean about Wood. He won't play this one but may do the next.

The reason why he should play is that he's different and there was a lot said about the England bowlers being too samey. Of course if Wood isn't properly fit he won't have the pace and he'll be samey too.

I know what you mean about Wood. He won't play this one but may do the next.

The reason why he should play is that he's different and there was a lot said about the England bowlers being too samey. Of course if Wood isn't properly fit he won't have the pace and he'll be samey too.
He’s different I agree, and there is a lot to like about the bowler and the person. I just don’t think he does enough with the ball. He’s going at over 40 in tests. That’s 10 more than Woakes (who I get isn’t suited to these pitches)

Back