Things I Didn't Understand Today

To answer point two - it’s because that’s how the coach and director of football want us to play. The alternative is to boot it long to a non-existent front man.
It’s not the only other option though, if we had runners the keeper could through it out to them & put us immediately on the break. Or keeper passes to a pivot near the centre circle who turns & looks for a forward pass & not back to our defenders. These options should be mixed up during the game, not just repeat passing out from the back time after time.

Rigg not being picked from the start.
Why we keep trying to play out from the back when continually being dispossessed.
Why when we get a free kick around the 18yrd box Patterson wasn't taking it. Ballard was and kept passing back to Patterson.
Why every throw-in/ free kick goes backwards.
Why we don't high press the opposition like they do to us.
Why we are brushed off the ball so easily.
Why we need about 30 passes to get out of our own half.
Why do all our players stop dead when we get a free kick, throw-in, chance to break quickly. Nobody moves.
Why our coaching staff don't seem to have a clue about football.
This stuff, amongst others, has been bugging me all season.

I’d challenge the not playing out from the back with ‘what is the alternative?’.

If you think Hemir is going to hold the ball up then you’re going to be disappointed.
It’s not playing out for the back it’s overplaying out from the back they just keep passing it until they get dispossessed without actually making any progress the up pitch

Why we keep trying to play out from the back when continually being dispossessed.
Why when we get a free kick around the 18yrd box Patterson wasn't taking it. Ballard was and kept passing back to Patterson.
Why do all our players stop dead when we get a free kick, throw-in, chance to break quickly. Nobody moves.
All excellent points. May I add another?
Why we seem to have no coherent plan how to defend or attack set pieces, especially corners?

As said, a lot down to confidence but a lot down to coaching and why Dodds dhould be nowhere near head or assistant coach. So many times we kill momentum with a sideway pass or back, throw ins for years gave done my head in, lack of movement to go fwd. major problems need addressing and not just head coach.

Some good points there. The playing out from the back thing, or should I say playing into trouble thing, where are the midielders, nobody is finding space. The pressing thing, even when they were doing it early in the season it was a half hearted affair, nobody actualy tried to win the ball. And yes, throw ins, even free kicks, going backwards, what's that all about, nobody is making space to recieve the ball.

Why do all our managers bring everyone back when the opposition have a corner? If we left 2 up top, they would leave 3 back, 5 less players for Patto to worry about
Because our goalkeeping coach is dictating the set plays
Apparently the laughing was about the announced attendance.
There was laughing at that tbh.

There was also laughing at everything else, mainly that mad step over from Mundle, and our and QPR’s general shitness

Last edited:
It’s not the only other option though, if we had runners the keeper could through it out to them & put us immediately on the break. Or keeper passes to a pivot near the centre circle who turns & looks for a forward pass & not back to our defenders. These options should be mixed up during the game, not just repeat passing out from the back time after time.
I’m not saying we can’t do it better! 🤣 My reply was glib.

We’ve often used a pivot to help us build out and you’re absolutely right about playing the ball forward quicker and more often. Unfortunately, on the few occasions we did today our receiving players looked like dogs with balloons.

Very poor today. Not enjoyable to watch. Not a shot on target and didn’t look like scoring all game. Point was welcome after the run we have been on but we need a lot more quality to compete next season at this level

We can’t play out from the back , we don’t have the players to do it
We perseverd with it v the mags & got punished
To continue to do something that does not work is obviously down to the coaching & that tit Spenkman
Unbelievable

Because our goalkeeping coach is dictating the set plays

There was laughing at that tbh.

There was also laughing at everything else, mainly that mad step over from Mundle, and our and QPR’s general shitness
Dunno about laughing but I had the most head in hands moments at a safc match for a long time. Styles and hledje were having a shite pass competition all game... not sure who won tbh

f***ing boring you

Back