The worst/most frustrating road junction in Sunderland?

Which one? More like the Toll Bar
The prospect junction, no roundabout there but accidents every week.

Anyhow I've thought of a much better solution...CPO and demolish all the houses on either side of Chester road from the Grindon Mill to the cemetery, it must be shit living there anyhow watching all that traffic every day and build a flyover a la Testos for smooth traffic movement to and from the city centre, jobs a good un.

The bus lane at the bottom of Bede bank is a joke too. If you want to turn left at the bottom, it's almost not possible at times to avoid the bus lane when the lights are on/buses are pulled in. I just don't get the bus lane in a location like that.
This. It's a number of places along Durham Road.
Cars are forced into the wrong lane immediately before a left turn, and then need to cut in front of traffic on the left which is mostly driving straight ahead.
It might not be so bad if it was a genuine bus only lane, but the left lane is used by busses, vans, lorries, bikes, taxis, and other cars ignoring the bus lane.

If you're a competent driver who knows the Highway Code, the roundabout isn't a problem. Unfortunately a large percentage of people who use it are complete imbeciles, therefore simplifying the thing for these idiots makes sense.
Pulling out of Bartram st/Joannah st to turn right during rush hour. There’s a constant stream of cars from your right and you can’t see them for the parked cars.
Drive up Kirkstone Avenue then left onto Charlton Road then right at the lights.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there aren't more accidents on that one. I always approach using right lane and move over to the left. As you say people who aren't from the area seem to approach left and go all the way around. It should be clearly signed what to do.

Vehicles never go beyond a speed where slamming on the anchors will avoid a collision. There's 5 stop lines on that roundabout so most users are likely pootling around as you can never see what colour the lights are 'til you're on top of them. The lane designations are only on the St. Mary's entrance so those using the other busy entrances are left to fend for themselves, there's no filtering lines that should guides vehicles to the relevant lane as they pass each exit, the lanes on the roundabout don't always correlate with the entrance lanes. For example, St. Mary's entrance has 2 lanes, the first stop line is after Albion Place where you're presented with 3 lane choices. I'm surprised it ever got signed off in that configuration as anyone with a day's driving experience could easily identify potential conflict points.
Why do the a19/690 lights operate 24/7?

Can be thr only car on the road n the feckers still delay you.

That's been raised before on here and apparently it'd be too confusing to have part-time lights there. Seems to work fine on J62 of the A1(M) at Belmont which likely sees much more traffic going through it. Could say the same thing about the no-car lanes on Durham Road when outside of rush hour.

Last edited:
If you're a competent driver who knows the Highway Code, the roundabout isn't a problem. Unfortunately a large percentage of people who use it are complete imbeciles, therefore simplifying the thing for these idiots makes sense.

Drive up Kirkstone Avenue then left onto Charlton Road then right at the lights.

1) Nobody obeys the Highway Code
2) The roundabout must have been designed by an imbecile - for one thing, the three lanes are too narrow and buses cannot manoeuvre in them, the front end of the bus might be in the inside lane but the back-end is in the middle lane.

Takes much longer. I’m going down Thompson road so I don’t have to wait at the lights anyway. Every second counts when you’re racing the satnav to work.

A690/A19 roundabout Herrington Interchange appraoching east. There are four lanes; left two A19(N), third A690 Sunderland & fourth Dox Park/A19(S).

You can guarantee every single time some twat goes down lane two but is going stgraight ahead and pulls into the third lane at the last minute. Its written in git big white letters on each lane which each one is for

A19/A1231 roundabout. No one has any idea or gives a fuck as to what lane they should be in. They don't follow the lanes going round the roundabout. Its pretty clear if you look at the road but people are just oblivious

A690/A19 roundabout Herrington Interchange appraoching east. There are four lanes; left two A19(N), third A690 Sunderland & fourth Dox Park/A19(S).

You can guarantee every single time some twat goes down lane two but is going stgraight ahead and pulls into the third lane at the last minute. Its written in git big white letters on each lane which each one is for
Someone done this exact thing to me yesterday and nearly took.the front of me car off had i not slammed the brakes on.

Why do the council insist on putting bushes on roundabouts, restricting your view of lights and other traffic?.
As both a driver and a pedestrian, the roundabout at the Scullery is a nightmare for walkers. Most cars goimg far too fast coming up from Sainsburys way and don't indicate off or you simply can't see whats coming up or down the roads due to the bushes on the roundabout.

Last edited:
Why do the council insist on putting bushes on roundabouts, restricting your view of lights and other traffic?.
As both a driver and a pedestrian, the roundabout at the Scullery is a nightmare for walkers. Most cars goimg far too fast coming up from Sainsburys way and don't indicate off or you simply can't see whats coming up or down the roads due to the bushes on the roundabout.
It’s good for tourism. You need a good environment for campers.

Back