The worst/most frustrating road junction in Sunderland?

Broadway roundabout is shite. Turn onto Springwell Road and the roundabout outside the Broadway housing estate is a nightmare if turning right into it, can guarantee some pillock is fleeing up to the roundabout at 50 or 60.
Lost count of how many times I've nearly been t-boned by some twat heading along Springwell Road towards Chester Road when I've been turning right onto that estate. Seems like half the cars never look right for a moment.

Just for some variety, the lights at the blue bell. If your coming from Seaburn to turn right and go up towards the metro station it can take an absolute age. Sometimes I go straight ahead and do a u turn and come straight back through them from the other direction to turn left, otherwise you are going to be stuck for 10 mins while only 2 cars get through at a time. Needs a filter light.

Gets mentioned whenever there is a new councillor in the area. Nothing ever happens. It’s even worse now they have made Sea Road narrower so those coming up sea road don’t have space to get past those turned right.

Also the barrier stopping people using the blue bell car park as a rat run has vanished, it’ll not be long before people start doing that again.

Just for some variety, the lights at the blue bell. If your coming from Seaburn to turn right and go up towards the metro station it can take an absolute age. Sometimes I go straight ahead and do a u turn and come straight back through them from the other direction to turn left, otherwise you are going to be stuck for 10 mins while only 2 cars get through at a time. Needs a filter light.

I don't live in Sunderland but why would you even need to ever go right there, unless you live in Dene Estate and even then you could come out on Alston Crescent.

Coming from Seaburn, go via Fulwell
Coming from Sea Road cut down one of the streets onto Dykelands Road
Coming from South Shields just go via A1018 / Cairns Road
Coming from Roker turn down one of the streets and get onto Roker Avenue or Sea Road if that's where your coming

We do the second, using Mere Knolls Road after every game pretty much and there's no traffic anywhere.

Pulling out of Bartram st/Joannah st to turn right during rush hour. There’s a constant stream of cars from your right and you can’t see them for the parked cars.

springwell road going towards tunstall at the prospect lights. every single night without fail: theres two lanes. your supposed to use the two lanes. your supposed to go through the lights using two lanes and merge 200 yards down the road AFTER the lights. this means for every green light cycle, you get double the amount of cars. its not rocket science. yet every single night you have one massive line in the left lane and no cars in the right lane as everyone knows it merges after the lights. THICK, AS, FUCK

theres even two arrows painted massive on the floor showing you what to do

Logon or register to see this image

For me, it's the lights at St Mary's A183, turning right onto the top of Chester Road - they only stay green for 18 seconds at a time (I counted) and can often take up to three attempts to get through in a queue of traffic.

Or, the Somerset Road / Springwell Road junction for the folk who wait for ages to turn right across the dual carriageway, rather than turning left and then going around the roundabout.
It's St Michaels Way and i would call that the bottom of Chester Road. But your right, it is infuriating

Noticed since the road works last week they've extended the time the lights are on red and green to let more traffic round the Barnes pub. Only used to let about 5 cars thro each time.

Even worse when the crossing 30 yards up Chester Rd outside the Uni Library is being used, as the lights aren't synced so only 5 or 6 cars can get onto Chester Rd.
Seen a few people get knocked over at the crossing right at the bottom of chester road outside the uni library - I worked at the uni for a few years and I used to head into town to grab a sarnie etc - drivers would just completely ignore the lights there for some reason.

The roundabout bottom of Durham Road/Tunstall Road/Mary Street/Albion Place - coming up St Michaels Way 2 lanes go into 3 and 2 to exit.
No clear signs as to which lanes are for Tunstall (generally the locals use the middle and non-locals left and middle), some treat it as a mini-roundabout and go all the way around to the Durham Road exit in the outside lane, others just ignore the markings and straddle 2 lanes at once.
I'm surprised there aren't more accidents on that one. I always approach using right lane and move over to the left. As you say people who aren't from the area seem to approach left and go all the way around. It should be clearly signed what to do.

I'm surprised there aren't more accidents on that one. I always approach using right lane and move over to the left. As you say people who aren't from the area seem to approach left and go all the way around. It should be clearly signed what to do.
There is a sign there but agree they could do more to make it more clear.

Getting out of any of the ABC streets is like running a gauntlet at times. Cars parked along the streets then cars absolutely flying up Chester Road, only way to do it is edge out and if turning right hoping there's no cars or someone's willing to let you in, I think most realise it's daft as and tend to let you out, which is canny.

The bus lane at the bottom of Bede bank is a joke too. If you want to turn left at the bottom, it's almost not possible at times to avoid the bus lane when the lights are on/buses are pulled in. I just don't get the bus lane in a location like that.

Last edited:

Back