The World at War

Status
Not open for further replies.

I watched the last lot of repeats on Yesterday and noticed that the powers that be have cut some scenes from the original series.

Nothing like hiding reality.

I've seen the lot and there are some bits I wish I could 'un-see'

There needs to be some consideration of the emotions of those that remain - victims and victors

Some things are better just left

theres a canny documentary on netflix at the moment called 5 came back

its about the 5 big movie directors who became part of the war effort, features tones of their archive footage and interviews with them

it interesting to see how they each approached getting their message across, with some being effectively embedded like modern film makers

john ford was sent to midway to film the attack on the island by the japanese and got bombed to hell!

they are also streaming the 13 big documentaries that these film makers produced during the war

so some good stuff for history buffs

Last edited:
Got them all on DVD cheap a few years ago but never got around to watching them all.

Watched the first episode, all I can remember about it is Lawrence Olivier's distinctive voice saying "General Hindenburg"

Just starting on Yesterday channel (Sky 161?) Possibly the definitive series looking at WW2. Outstanding watch.
Hardly definitive nowadays - a lot has come to light since this series was made.

Having just followed WW1 week by week then I would recommend following this YouTube channel doing WW2 week by week World War Two

WWII in HD colour on Netflix is a quality watch. Binged 13 hours of it over the weekend.
The Ken Burns series of WWII and Vietnam are even better if you haven’t watched those.

Hardly definitive nowadays - a lot has come to light since this series was made.

Having just followed WW1 week by week then I would recommend following this YouTube channel doing WW2 week by week World War Two
Also subscribed to the WWI channel. Not ton interested in the current events on the WWII channel but will pick it up later on, no doubt.

Imagine being a kid at school having these resources to dip in to to learn history rather than a boring, twenty year old text book.

Imagine being a kid at school having these resources to dip in to to learn history rather than a boring, twenty year old text book.
wild stab in the dark but they'll still think its boring as fuck... i often wonder why i'm really keen on certain stuff now that i would ahve thought was boring as fuck when i was a kid... (agree with the sentiment though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back