The World at War

Seen it twice, the last time being a few weeks back when I had some time off work. I think it's brilliant TV, shame about the subject matter. I'd like to see a Vietnam documentary. That really was a silly war.

Seen it twice, the last time being a few weeks back when I had some time off work. I think it's brilliant TV, shame about the subject matter. I'd like to see a Vietnam documentary. That really was a silly war.
Ken Burns’ Vietnam doc has already been mentioned. Really good.

I watched the last lot of repeats on Yesterday and noticed that the powers that be have cut some scenes from the original series.

Nothing like hiding reality.

The final episode 'Remember' gets me every time.

What scenes have been cut? I dont expect you to know the exact ones, just in general. I was looking to buy the box set, so hopefully that hasnt been censored too.

What scenes have been cut? I dont expect you to know the exact ones, just in general. I was looking to buy the box set, so hopefully that hasnt been censored too.

Some of the more graphic Nazi atrocities have disappeared. I imagine this censorship may be unique to Yesterday Channel who along with its sister Gold Channel seem determined to tone down what we see or hear these days.

Glosses over the Tunisian campaign. German losses were similar to Stalingrad but it was barely worth a mention.

whilst they might gloss over it - i cant remember for deffo (they definitely have at least 1 episode about the desert war) German losses were not similar to Stalingrad

150k Germans killed or captured in Tunisia (majority captured) vs 300k-400k Germans killed or captured

the figures will only start to compare if you narrow the scope of Stalingrad to the fighting in the city, rather than the overall battle

whilst they might gloss over it - i cant remember for deffo (they definitely have at least 1 episode about the desert war) German losses were not similar to Stalingrad

150k Germans killed or captured in Tunisia (majority captured) vs 300k-400k Germans killed or captured

the figures will only start to compare if you narrow the scope of Stalingrad to the fighting in the city, rather than the overall battle

I was actually quite careful when I said similar to. I actually think the figures you quoted in Stalingrad are underestimates as we tend to get the numbers from German records, and the Germans tended not to include l.of.C troops in their figures, as a lot of carrying was done by organizations like todt, who being made up of undesirables, or inhumans, tended not to be quoted as people. According to a Prisoner of War Report sent by Allied Force Headquarters (20th July 1943). The number of Axis Prisoners of war taken in Tunisia and the Pelagie islands (which were indefensible once the air bases in Tunisia were secured), from Panzer.Armee.Gruppe.Africa (inclusive of the Italian 1 Armee and Pz.Armee.5) and were as follows: 127,457. Italian Prisoners of War were 122,516. Miscellaneous other nations 17747, for a total of 267,720.

Back