The Venerable Headlam Hall: Sunday Lunch Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm lucky, my missus is good looking, she loves cooking and baking, we have a great entertaining area, she loves safc
We do try local eateries with friends but TBH she serves up better dosh than any restaurant we have been in.

Gerrin Lamebros food reviews are back - its a minor quibble but no clothing in the photos for us to critique this time though :(

I'm lucky, my missus is good looking, she loves cooking and baking, we have a great entertaining area, she loves safc
We do try local eateries with friends but TBH she serves up better dosh than any restaurant we have been in.
You can't have been to many good restaurants there mate. There's no way that you can suggest your wife's cooking is better than the professional chefs who've trained for years to work in Michelin-starred restaurants. Actually you're the scratter type who eats egg and chips and thinks he's in heaven iirc there

Logon or register to see this image

Headlam Hall in Darlo is a spa and golf hotel surrounded by countryside which has a splendid restaurant under head chef Derek Thomson, with all principal ingredients sourced from high quality local suppliers.

Me and my lass (no) joined a party of friends for drinks and lunch and here's what we ordered:

For starters I had garlic mushrooms in a creamy sauce:

Logon or register to see this image

Verdict: basic but nonetheless delicious.

My lass had melon and seasonal fruit with raspberry coulis:

Verdict: my lass (no) remarked it was 'delightful'.

Well, we're orf to a good start, so let's get to the second course!

Me and my lass (no) had roast sirloin of beef, Yorkshire puddings, an assortment of vegetables with gravy:

Verdict: superb with the beef being an absolute triumph!

My lasses mate had grilled seabass, crushed potatoes, spinach and dill cream:

Verdict: apparently delicious!

For third course, most of us opted for the humble apple crumble with custard:

Verdict: surprisingly small portion which was welcomed by some of our party par takers as anything larger may have caused bloating!

Others in our party chose the following,

Cheese and biscuits:

White chocolate and raspberry cheesecake with Chantilly cream and raspberry coulis:

Summary

Great tucker in splendid surroundings makes for a superb place go for something to eat and drink!

The food is very tasty, well presented with good service.

Price: approx £35 per head.

Overall 8/10

Highly recommended! :cool:

How can it come highly recommended with an 8/10?

No different to the place you went. A basic place in a small, poor town.

Yes, of course, makes sense that you see no difference from Hedlam Hall golf and spa country estate to a Sambucca 'Restaurant' in Peterlee.

Says it all tbth.

Each to their own and all that.

Yes, of course, makes sense that you see no difference from Hedlam Hall golf and spa country estate to a Sambucca 'Restaurant' in Peterlee.

Says it all tbth.

Each to their own and all that.
I don't see any difference. The standard of food at both could easily be assembled by myself and many others on here. Everything you had to eat looked very basic. Tbh I would probably eat it and never mention it again however you seem to be over the moon you have eaten in such a great place. I admire the fact you are attempting to better yourself after your usual visits to tuppence ha'penny Italian places and run down pubs.

I don't see any difference. The standard of food at both could easily be assembled by myself and many others on here. Everything you had to eat looked very basic. Tbh I would probably eat it and never mention it again however you seem to be over the moon you have eaten in such a great place. I admire the fact you are attempting to better yourself after your usual visits to tuppence ha'penny Italian places and run down pubs.

Let it go matey, you're trying far too hard and fooling nobody but yourself.

Was basic fayre to be honest, still hasn't said how much it cost per head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back