The Venerable Headlam Hall: Sunday Lunch Review

Aye, that's with drinks.
am i being too picky when saying they haven,t put much mashed potato on that plate and disappointing to see shop bought biscuits/crackers on the cheese board ? after all its supposed to be better than the norm ?
with drinks I think the price is fine , could you please give details of available draught ales ?
thats as important as the food on the very rare occasion i venture out for a meal these days , no need to give us the wine list but hopefully hey have some decent real ales after all they are within a couple of miles of some very good small country breweries.

I can assure you, you couldn't be further from the truth that the beef was anything but over cooked.

It was quite the taste sensation that I hoped for.
absolutely agree there mate whether its my northern upbringing or what , but i cannot stand to see pink/blood sliced beef , even steaks i must have well done. that beef looks superb.

I'm a working class lad. I've done alright. I like to have a few pints in my local or the club before the match with my mates. I also like to go to restaurants with my wife of various degrees of poshness but sometimes just because we like them. I won't tell you the cost or in fact my tax bill because I don't feel you want to know. But I will still have a pint with any of you.

I'm a working class lad. I've done alright. I like to have a few pints in my local or the club before the match with my mates. I also like to go to restaurants with my wife of various degrees of poshness but sometimes just because we like them. I won't tell you the cost or in fact my tax bill because I don't feel you want to know. But I will still have a pint with any of you.
What kind of shoes are you wearing right now?

We are all here for you nonetheless if you ever want to share anything.

Well done that man!

Logon or register to see this image

Headlam Hall in Darlo is a spa and golf hotel surrounded by countryside which has a splendid restaurant under head chef Derek Thomson, with all principal ingredients sourced from high quality local suppliers.

Me and my lass (no) joined a party of friends for drinks and lunch and here's what we ordered:

For starters I had garlic mushrooms in a creamy sauce:

Logon or register to see this image

Verdict: basic but nonetheless delicious.

My lass had melon and seasonal fruit with raspberry coulis:

Verdict: my lass (no) remarked it was 'delightful'.

Well, we're orf to a good start, so let's get to the second course!

Me and my lass (no) had roast sirloin of beef, Yorkshire puddings, an assortment of vegetables with gravy:

Verdict: superb with the beef being an absolute triumph!

My lasses mate had grilled seabass, crushed potatoes, spinach and dill cream:

Verdict: apparently delicious!

For third course, most of us opted for the humble apple crumble with custard:

Verdict: surprisingly small portion which was welcomed by some of our party par takers as anything larger may have caused bloating!

Others in our party chose the following,

Cheese and biscuits:

White chocolate and raspberry cheesecake with Chantilly cream and raspberry coulis:

Summary

Great tucker in splendid surroundings makes for a superb place go for something to eat and drink!

The food is very tasty, well presented with good service.

Price: approx £35 per head.

Overall 8/10

Highly recommended! :cool:

Puddings look a small step up from curry house standard. Rest looks lush

Did the chef throw the crumble at you by hand or did you have to catch it on your plate after it was catapulted at you?

Also did you have to pour the tin of soup over the button mushrooms yourself?

taking the wife out tommorow night , looked at the menu for headlam hall but there's nowt she would eat , she's a pretty plain eater. so can anyone recommend a nice county venue west of darlo, bish etc ? am based in school aycliffe.

taking the wife out tommorow night , looked at the menu for headlam hall but there's nowt she would eat , she's a pretty plain eater. so can anyone recommend a nice county venue west of darlo, bish etc ? am based in school aycliffe.
For plain simple food, the Pub in Whorlton is good, The 2 pubs in Heighington, The Bay Horse and the George and Dragon. Not country as such but the Red Alligator at S Church is great value for money.

Back