The Velvet Underground

Not sure where half that list came from. NY Dolls, Jonathan Richman, Patti Smith, Television, The Ramones were more pertinent to that story. The VU were incredibly influential but not so much musically. It was more to do with their punk attitude of doing whatever the fuck they wanted.

so the story goes: their first album only sold 10,000 copies but everyone who bought went out and started a band

• Roxy music
  • Bowie
  • Arctic Monkeys
  • Talking Heads
  • Joy Division
  • The white Stripes
  • U2
  • Nirvana
  • The Kooks
  • Flaming Lips
  • REM
  • Morrissey
  • Sex Pistols
Has there ever been a more influential band, ever?
Well obviously not, if they're responsible for the formation of 10,000 bands, they have to be, that's impressive...:cool:

Baring 4 or 5 decent songs, probably the most overrated band in the history of modern music (imho)

He’s a big Chelsea fan
And a big Rod Stewart and the Faces fan too.

Last edited:
Been listening to there debut album for the first time in ages this past week. What an outstanding piece of work it it. I'd forgotten just how good it was. Our lass was quite taken in by it too and out like that she normally scoffs at out like that. I wasn't around at the time when it was released but I was trying to explain that when it was released just how different it was from everything else that was around at the time

Been listening to there debut album for the first time in ages this past week. What an outstanding piece of work it it. I'd forgotten just how good it was. Our lass was quite taken in by it too and out like that she normally scoffs at out like that. I wasn't around at the time when it was released but I was trying to explain that when it was released just how different it was from everything else that was around at the time
On my turntable now funnily enough.

Baring 4 or 5 decent songs, probably the most overrated band in the history of modern music (imho)

He’s a big Chelsea fan
Which songs would they be?
Lou Reed fell out with the band making loaded and I don’t think he is on some of the songs. Great album though.
They made another album without him and played Sunderland Empire (I think)
Have you bothered with their other albums Rob?

Last edited:
Just make sure to turn it off before the second half of European Son - it's nearly as bad as our second half on Saturday.

Back