The vaccine thread

Nope. They're just arent following the manufacturers advice, on the advice of the scientists

what evidence are the scientists using to judge the effectiveness of the pfizer vaccine of 1 dose after 4 weeks ? Or the effectiveness of the second dose after 12 weeks.

I don’t think Pfizer have as yet endorsed the 12 week interval, why would that be ?

what evidence are the scientists using to judge the effectiveness of the pfizer vaccine of 1 dose after 4 weeks ? Or the effectiveness of the second dose after 12 weeks.

I don’t think Pfizer have as yet endorsed the 12 week interval, why would that be ?

They are checking people, in the main it’s NHS staff, for antibodies. So far they are very pleased with the results that they are obtaining which are apparently better than they expected.

No idea, would imagine all that stuff is in with what was submitted for approval.

But there is a lot of sense in getting loads of people at 70% effectiveness than a lot less at 90% effectiveness

I've just been watching the news and a health are worker who had the vaccine said that they will now be able to go to work without the fear of taking it into work. Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the vaccine only supposed to stop you from getting it bad but you can still spread it just the same?

I've just been watching the news and a health are worker who had the vaccine said that they will now be able to go to work without the fear of taking it into work. Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the vaccine only supposed to stop you from getting it bad but you can still spread it just the same?

Yes. The next time Boris does a briefing he needs to stress that we still need to take precautions. In fact they should be doing newspaper advertisements and tv and radio adverts explaining exactly what the vaccine does and doesn’t do or he is just going to run straight into yet another shitstorm.

No one yet knows if it will prevent spread or not

Not great news if true. Another u-turn coming?
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy".

Scientists advised that the one-dose strategy was a good option to get some sort of protection into as many people as possible.

Other scientists ae now saying it isn't.

Hopefully this will be properly assessed and, if it's right, the strategy will change again - more like evolution of the plan rather than a u-turn - and it should be seen as a good thing, unless, of course, some would prefer we continue with a strategy proven to be wrong.

Yes. The next time Boris does a briefing he needs to stress that we still need to take precautions. In fact they should be doing newspaper advertisements and tv and radio adverts explaining exactly what the vaccine does and doesn’t do or he is just going to run straight into yet another shitstorm.
You are exactly right. Information that people can still spread it or it is unknown if the vaccine stops the spread should really be pushed even more than the hands face space and stay home messages. I can see alot of people thinking everything is OK once they have the vaccine when in reality it may cause alot more needless infections and deaths.

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy".

Scientists advised that the one-dose strategy was a good option to get some sort of protection into as many people as possible.

Other scientists ae now saying it isn't.
No scientist is saying that to be fair. They’re just presenting the data and the journalist is implying it. It might be that, even at 33%, and hopefully very few severe symptoms, the strategy remains valid.

Last edited:
No scientist is saying that to be fair. They’re just presenting the data and the journalist is implying it. It might be that, even at 33%, and hopefully very few severe symptoms, the strategy remains valid.

I think there is inevitably a bit of "hit and hope" as well. No one really fully understands the disease but if we get a modicum of some immunity into the population it may give breathing space to build on it. With more vaccines coming onto the scene this will help

Incidentally I may have missed this but the other big UK pharma - Glaxo - have they got anything near being approved. @Be Here Now might know

This is concerning

Seems like an incredible risk by us
"The Israeli research hasn't been published or peer reviewed. And they haven't said what impact the vaccine had on serious infections that required hospital admission."

I trust in our scientists. If the vaccine stops people developing severe symptoms, as is expected (I think), then it shouldn't be a worry. Guess time will tell.

I think there is inevitably a bit of "hit and hope" as well. No one really fully understands the disease but if we get a modicum of some immunity into the population it may give breathing space to build on it. With more vaccines coming onto the scene this will help

Incidentally I may have missed this but the other big UK pharma - Glaxo - have they got anything near being approved. @Be Here Now might know

Ill see if I can find anything
Times running an article suggesting worry over supply of vaccines

You are exactly right. Information that people can still spread it or it is unknown if the vaccine stops the spread should really be pushed even more than the hands face space and stay home messages. I can see alot of people thinking everything is OK once they have the vaccine when in reality it may cause alot more needless infections and deaths.
Never take the tele box man at face value, always investigate further.

Back