The Union Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re blinded by the fact you know the person
No, I'm a litigation solicitor who has undertaken personal injury work. I'm basing this on my knowledge of the law.

Wrong.

They knew what it would cost to go to litigation and tried to lessen those costs/ by making an offer. If their lawyers were going to cost £20k for 2 days even if they won, it's still worth offering £10k (no admittance) to prevent going to court
A lot of cases get defended to trial. Insurers have deep pockets and if it did not think it was at risk of losing it would not make an offer.

No, I'm a litigation solicitor who has undertaken personal injury work. I'm basing this on my knowledge of the law.

A lot of cases get defended to trial. Insurers have deep pockets and if it did not think it was at risk of losing it would not make an offer.
Fair enough. So you know the law. And the loopholes

I’m talking what the law should say.

Fair enough. So you know the law. And the loopholes

I’m talking what the law should say.
That's a different question altogether. Taking a moral view wouldn't pay well in my job.

From a legal point of view this case has a bit of nuance and I can see why they went for it. Whether it was the right thing to do is another matter altogether and I can see both sides of that argument - as I've said earlier in the thread I'm glad that these days I don't have to dirty my hands with personal injury work. I guess it is easy when you haven't been through a situation like she has to moralise about whether or not you would ever pursue such a claim. I hope I'm never in a position in which I have to make that kind of call.

Reactions: WHD
That's a different question altogether. Taking a moral view wouldn't pay well in my job.

From a legal point of view this case has a bit of nuance and I can see why they went for it. Whether it was the right thing to do is another matter altogether and I can see both sides of that argument - as I've said earlier in the thread I'm glad that these days I don't have to dirty my hands with personal injury work. I guess it is easy when you haven't been through a situation like she has to moralise about whether or not you would ever pursue such a claim. I hope I'm never in a position in which I have to make that kind of call.
Taking a moral view wouldn’t pay well :lol:

At least you’re honest in your “ambulance chasing” previous life. (The quotes are deliberate and exaggerated)

It is easy to moralise. And I am. I know why she did it, but my view is that she is personally accountable.

Taking a moral view wouldn’t pay well :lol:

At least you’re honest in your “ambulance chasing” previous life. (The quotes are deliberate and exaggerated)

It is easy to moralise. And I am. I know why she did it, but my view is that she is personally accountable.
Too right it wouldn't. Moral flexibility/ambivalence is the order of the day.

And they’ve paid the premium for that themselves

Not using someone else insurance because they fucked up

There is not always a claim

If I go and drive pissed, my insurance is invalid. Right?
Aye because that’s against the law.

You and Mux are coming across a bit simple here if I’m honest.

Reactions: WHD
So if someone drinks in a pub, gets pissed, leaves and gets ran over cos they stumble onto the road is that the pubs responsibility?

IIRC it is illegal to sell alcohol to someone you know is intoxicated. I suppose "intoxicated" comes at a scale of incapability but if a person is legless they should not be provided with further alcohol which may cause them serious risk of self-harm.

I once had an argument with a yank at a bar

Suppose you tripped on that step sober what would do?
Sue the bar for putting the step there
What would happen if you were pissed?
Sue the bar for allowing me to get pissed
Would you ever be responsible?
No

It’s simple.

Someone got pissed and did something stupid. Their fault. Not the pub.

The pub shouldn’t pay
And they didn’t. Simple.

That’s not to say that there couldn’t have been any negligence on the bars part irrespective of how it happened.

We can’t just go through life assuming we know more than the law.

Back on the day I met a few random sunderland fans in there pissed up one day and we started singing sunderland songs in the middle of the bar. Bit of a silly thing to do now I think back on it but I was young and full of ale.

Nowt happened but it would have served us right if there was a brawl and we'd ended up in hospital or in a cell...

Guilty of this :lol:

IIRC it is illegal to sell alcohol to someone you know is intoxicated. I suppose "intoxicated" comes at a scale of incapability but if a person is legless they should not be provided with further alcohol which may cause them serious risk of self-harm.
Which is why I used the term pissed rather than mortal. Question still stands

Went in a few years ago and didnt like it couldnt wait to get out its a lovely building though.

Back on the day I met a few random sunderland fans in there pissed up one day and we started singing sunderland songs in the middle of the bar. Bit of a silly thing to do now I think back on it but I was young and full of ale.

Nowt happened but it would have served us right if there was a brawl and we'd ended up in hospital or in a cell...
You could have just sued the pub for letting you drink and sing in there mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back