The Union Rooms

Dave Herbal

Striker
Is it closing down or something?

Got a pint of ale on sat and it was off. I asked to change it and the barkeep pointed to a sign saying “all ale is out of date”. I said it was undrinkable, so he changed if for a different ale. That was also off, but when I told him he said “sorry, no refunds. We’ve been told to sell it all off”. There was virtually no one in either.

Is it closing down or something?

Got a pint of ale on sat and it was off. I asked to change it and the barkeep pointed to a sign saying “all ale is out of date”. I said it was undrinkable, so he changed if for a different ale. That was also off, but when I told him he said “sorry, no refunds. We’ve been told to sell it all off”. There was virtually no one in either.
Bloody hell, I’d have demanded my money back out of principle.

I’ve always found it a strange place mind.

Hardly anyone goes in since it stopped being a spoons

I'm amazed it's lasted this long.

Annoyingly they put the coffee price up to £1.50 from a quid! :lol:

Used to be a decent place to meet up as its so central.

Years ago a woman slid down the stair bannister and fell off and broke her hip or legs...something like that.
She tried to sue the company because there wasnt a sign saying " dont slide down the bannister"

She lost

Used to be a decent place to meet up as its so central.

Years ago a woman slid down the stair bannister and fell off and broke her hip or legs...something like that.
She tried to sue the company because there wasnt a sign saying " dont slide down the bannister"

She lost
"No Payout for Stair Accident; Woman Left Paralysed after Banister Fall Loses Compensation Fight" - Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England), June 21, 2011 | Online Research Library: Questia

She is a disgrace for trying to sue the pub. She has to live with the reminder of her own stupidity for the rest of her life now.

She is one of my sister's best friends. Her husband left her shortly after as he didn't want to spend his life with her confined in a wheelchair and has left her reliant on home help to care for her and her children. She has no way of earning money to raise their kids and so pursued a claim for which the pub was insured. She was badly advised by her solicitors to reject a compensation offer, went to trial and lost. A stupid thing to do when pissed, certainly, but many people will have done similar. Calling her a disgrace in the circumstances may be a bit over the top.

She is one of my sister's best friends. Her husband left her shortly after as he didn't want to spend his life with her confined in a wheelchair and has left her reliant on home help to care for her and her children. She has no way of earning money to raise their kids and so pursued a claim for which the pub was insured. She was badly advised by her solicitors to reject a compensation offer, went to trial and lost. A stupid thing to do when pissed, certainly, but many people will have done similar. Calling her a disgrace in the circumstances may be a bit over the top.
Trying to blame another party for her own stupidity is wrong. Fleecing others for your own actions is wrong. The sadness of the situation doesn't make her actions justifiable.

Trying to blame another party for her own stupidity is wrong. Fleecing others for your own actions is wrong. The sadness of the situation doesn't make her actions justifiable.
The fact they made her an offer indicated they thought they was a risk they would lose. Pubs that sell alcohol people, getting them pissed in the process, have to accept that this impacts on the behaviour of their patrons and are held by the courts to a higher duty of care as a result. Clearly, the claim was not particularly strong but she was advised by her solicitors that she had a case and pursued it. You may not agree with that but that does not make her a disgrace.

The fact they made her an offer indicated they thought they was a risk they would lose. Pubs that sell alcohol people, getting them pissed in the process, have to accept that this impacts on the behaviour of their patrons and are held by the courts to a higher duty of care as a result. Clearly, the claim was not particularly strong but she was advised by her solicitors that she had a case and pursued it. You may not agree with that but that does not make her a disgrace.
Fair enough maybe disgrace was too strong a word, but I don't agree with her pursuing the pub when it quite clearly was a stupid thing to do and the risks were clear. Slipping on a wet floor that hadn't been cleaned or tripping on a loose tile and she has my sympathy and support, but pretending to be Mary Poppins and sliding down the handrail when pissed then trying to sue the pub for her resulting injuries is extremely poor form in my opinion and should not be defended or condoned. She should have taken responsibility for her own actions instead of trying to pass it on to someone else. It's easy to see this as an individual vs a company but damages paid out to her would have meant less jobs for people and there would be other impacts no doubt, so others suffer as a result of her own actions. I understand that as you know her and what a tragic story it is that you will of course want to defend her perhaps out of sympathy.

Back