The Truth About Sports Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

I emailed him and said I'd take part, last I heard was that he was preparing information packs for the participants. Happily do it like, especially since it's research directly related to boxing performance.
Ok mate. Am sure he has it all in hand.

That's not what I asked though.
You asked if it was worth taking caffeine to get improvements in performance and in your words minimal improvements. Any improvement is an improvement so yes it is worth it. I would also argue that it's not minimal in most cases it's quite significant. I also completely disagree in the energy drink remark. Not many studies at all use redbull and such.

You asked if it was worth taking caffeine to get improvements in performance and in your words minimal improvements. Any improvement is an improvement so yes it is worth it. I would also argue that it's not minimal in most cases it's quite significant. I also completely disagree in the energy drink remark. Not many studies at all use redbull and such.

The systematic review that the panorama thing was based on said there were very few studies that used only caffeine, the majority used mixed energy drinks. They also said improvements in endurance were minimal although things like improvements in number of reps in weight training were quite clear. That's what I was basing it on. But being on stimulants can be quite unpleasant (as someone who doesn't drink tea or coffee at all) and there are health risks involved. That's why I questioned whether it was really worth it, putting your body through that for what the literature says is fairly minimal.

However, I have only read the one review are there any others that you'd recommend reading?

The systematic review that the panorama thing was based on said there were very few studies that used only caffeine, the majority used mixed energy drinks. They also said improvements in endurance were minimal although things like improvements in number of reps in weight training were quite clear. That's what I was basing it on. But being on stimulants can be quite unpleasant (as someone who doesn't drink tea or coffee at all) and there are health risks involved. That's why I questioned whether it was really worth it, putting your body through that for what the literature says is fairly minimal.

However, I have only read the one review are there any others that you'd recommend reading?
By energy drinks they could have meant Lucazade and such. I would never consider using or recommending red bull for sports supplementation. The dosage can be very important in both sporting improvement and side effects. Really wouldnt make much difference if you dont have coffee etc. Caffeine is the worlds biggest drug and is in nearly all foods. To have side effects to caffeine you would have to consume large amounts. Something along the lines of 8-10mg per kg of body weight. If someone is stupid enough to consume that then they deserve any side effect.

In terms of articles and research it would depend on your access. I am in the profession so I have access to all sporting based journals and databases. Full research papers and not just basic abstracts.

By energy drinks they could have meant Lucazade and such. I would never consider using or recommending red bull for sports supplementation. The dosage can be very important in both sporting improvement and side effects. Really wouldnt make much difference if you dont have coffee etc. Caffeine is the worlds biggest drug and is in nearly all foods. To have side effects to caffeine you would have to consume large amounts. Something along the lines of 8-10mg per kg of body weight. If someone is stupid enough to consume that then they deserve any side effect.

In terms of articles and research it would depend on your access. I am in the profession so I have access to all sporting based journals and databases. Full research papers and not just basic abstracts.

Got university access so anything in a decent journal.

The one I read was looking at the effects of caffeine so all the drinks had caffeine. It didn't give specific brand names or anything just said nearly all of the studies weren't purely caffeine. The link's in the other thread if you want a look, it's not that long, it's the BMJ one.

Got university access so anything in a decent journal.

The one I read was looking at the effects of caffeine so all the drinks had caffeine. It didn't give specific brand names or anything just said nearly all of the studies weren't purely caffeine. The link's in the other thread if you want a look, it's not that long, it's the BMJ one.
I will trawl through my memory stick at some point and have a look for some good reads. I am on my holidays at the moment so trying to stay away from my memory stick!

I will trawl through my memory stick at some point and have a look for some good reads. I am on my holidays at the moment so trying to stay away from my memory stick!

No worries. Since it's this time on a Friday afternoon I can't imagine I'll be going out of my way to read any journals until Monday morning anyway!

When I was down London for 4 nights last week I took my supplements down as I was doing some training down there aswell. I knew it looked dodgey as I had Beta-Alanine, Cit Malate & whey protein all in white plastic bags so I'd usually stick it in the safe before I went out and my room was cleaned. I forgot to do it one day before going out, fuck knows what they must of thought :lol:

:lol:

Your supplements have probably been cut with talc now, while some poor bugger is trying to get high on whey protein.

Your supplements have probably been cut with talc now, while some poor bugger is trying to get high on whey protein.

They might think they're on something if they tried to take the beta-alanine, that stuff gives you mad tingles all over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back