The Truth About Sports Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Data

Was on BBC1 tonight. presume it's available on iplayer if you missed it.

Basically, loads of money is wasted on products that have no benefit that can be proven.

So, basically, if you exercise, eat a balanced diet, drink water when you're thirsty, wear shoes that are comfy for you. And thats it. No expensive sports drinks, nutritional supplements or top of the range trainers are needed. most of their claims don't stand up to independant testing and the claims you see which appear science based is usually from tests funded by the manufacturer in question.

It's made me feel massively vindicated. I've never bought a sports drink for when I'm running, or any supplements. A milkshake is the most I've used in the way of protein replacement and that is just the right thing too apparently! I've been doing it right all along:cool:

I just use standard whey protein and other supps that are backed by the science. Don't bother with any bullshit from big companies like muscletech etc.

I just use standard whey protein and other supps that are backed by the science. Don't bother with any bullshit from big companies like muscletech etc.

Who funded the science though?

whey protein and creatine is all i take
bollocks to all the other shite

Creatine is the most studied supplement out there and for the most part the research shows benefits. There are other supplements with good research behind them but can't go wrong with whey protein and creatine.

Thought it was a really poorly comprised programme. Only showing one side of the argument. Any idiot producer can do that. There is no doubt that science proves that supplements such as Creatine, Protein, Caffeine and CHO gels work. With the argument to Lucazade and drinks of that nature I do get the misconception of them. People assume drinking them will increase performance levels. The only effects it has is replacing CHO stores after prolonged activities.

My dissertation many moons ago was on CHO drinks with added Caffeine this was before Lucazade brought there added caffeine drink out. My hypothesis was proved correct in that it increased repeated sprint performance after 45 mins of intermittent exercise. However, my levels of caffeine was significantly higher than lucazades. There drink is minimal in caffeine and will have no effect. That drink is a rip. I even wrote to them ages ago and got a reply saying that it is very small incase of side effects associated to caffeine.

Thought it was a really poorly comprised programme. Only showing one side of the argument. Any idiot producer can do that. There is no doubt that science proves that supplements such as Creatine, Protein, Caffeine and CHO gels work. With the argument to Lucazade and drinks of that nature I do get the misconception of them. People assume drinking them will increase performance levels. The only effects it has is replacing CHO stores after prolonged activities.

My dissertation many moons ago was on CHO drinks with added Caffeine this was before Lucazade brought there added caffeine drink out. My hypothesis was proved correct in that it increased repeated sprint performance after 45 mins of intermittent exercise. However, my levels of caffeine was significantly higher than lucazades. There drink is minimal in caffeine and will have no effect. That drink is a rip. I even wrote to them ages ago and got a reply saying that it is very small incase of side effects associated to caffeine.

do you have any recommendations on pre-cardio drinks? and when they should be consumed?

do you have any recommendations on pre-cardio drinks? and when they should be consumed?
To be fair mate they really don't have to be. I you have a balanced diet there should be enough Glycogen stored within your muscles. I see Lucazade only good for prolonged activity. Over 90mins or if your have been light on the CHO front. The benefit is there though as its quickly digested.

Hydration in general can just be as important.

Caffeine is also very important.

To be fair mate they really don't have to be. I you have a balanced diet there should be enough Glycogen stored within your muscles. I see Lucazade only good for prolonged activity. Over 90mins or if your have been light on the CHO front. The benefit is there though as its quickly digested.

Hydration in general can just be as important.

Caffeine is also very important.

Is there a way of getting this into your system which isn't in the form of an energy drink? I find the fall is much greater then the rise when I've had a Redbull pre-footy.

Is there a way of getting this into your system which isn't in the form of an energy drink? I find the fall is much greater then the rise when I've had a Redbull pre-footy.
Yes of course mate. Red bull and all those energy drinks are awful things and are banned in numerous countries. Its not really the level of caffeine in these drinks that cause the crash. Its the 0.4% of Taurine.

Just buy caffeine tablets and depending on size take half before activity it will help alot.

Wasn't the best program, only presented one side. Some of the things they said were absolute rubbish as well.

Surprised about bcaa I started taking them a few months ago and found much better recovery.

Yes of course mate. Red bull and all those energy drinks are awful things and are banned in numerous countries. Its not really the level of caffeine in these drinks that cause the crash. Its the 0.4% of Taurine.

Just buy caffeine tablets and depending on size take half before activity it will help alot.

excellent, thanks mate. Gonna pick some up today, any thing you (or anyone else) would recommend?

excellent, thanks mate. Gonna pick some up today, any thing you (or anyone else) would recommend?
Ypu can buy the powder. If am doing some testing I get mine from a place in North Shields. Massive bag of powder, look like a right drug dealer! could put around 2mg of caffeine per kg of body weight into around 200ml of high juice and water. It will be very bitter but you will notice the change in sporting performance.

pro plus are the most readily available.

Wasn't the best program, only presented one side. Some of the things they said were absolute rubbish as well.

Surprised about bcaa I started taking them a few months ago and found much better recovery.
BCAA are the best hangover cure going.

Ypu can buy the powder. If am doing some testing I get mine from a place in North Shields. Massive bag of powder, look like a right drug dealer! could put around 2mg of caffeine per kg of body weight into around 200ml of high juice and water. It will be very bitter but you will notice the change in sporting performance.

When I was down London for 4 nights last week I took my supplements down as I was doing some training down there aswell. I knew it looked dodgey as I had Beta-Alanine, Cit Malate & whey protein all in white plastic bags so I'd usually stick it in the safe before I went out and my room was cleaned. I forgot to do it one day before going out, fuck knows what they must of thought :lol:

Is it really worth taking stimulants to get slightly better performance? That review I posted in the other thread seemed to think any benefit of caffeine was minimal and most of the published studies only really used energy drinks also containing taurine and/or gurana.

Is it really worth taking stimulants to get slightly better performance? That review I posted in the other thread seemed to think any benefit of caffeine was minimal and most of the published studies only really used energy drinks also containing taurine and/or gurana.
Its actual fact.

When I was down London for 4 nights last week I took my supplements down as I was doing some training down there aswell. I knew it looked dodgey as I had Beta-Alanine, Cit Malate & whey protein all in white plastic bags so I'd usually stick it in the safe before I went out and my room was cleaned. I forgot to do it one day before going out, fuck knows what they must of thought :lol:

:lol:

Same as me when I was bringing my clients in. You doing my mates Masters dissertation next week. Think he has a gym booked on Tuesday. He has asked me to assist him. He better return the favour and get me some beers.

Its actual fact.

:lol:

Same as me when I was bringing my clients in. You doing my mates Masters dissertation next week. Think he has a gym booked on Tuesday. He has asked me to assist him. He better return the favour and get me some beers.

I emailed him and said I'd take part, last I heard was that he was preparing information packs for the participants. Happily do it like, especially since it's research directly related to boxing performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back