The sun and the moon

Linny

Full Back
I've found it fascinating to see the setting moon and the rising sun together in the same clear sky this morning. Apologies if it is a dumb question, but is it possible to see them next to each other, either at sunrise or sunset?

They can be, but it would be a new moon (since its not getting any reflected light). although sometimes you get a bit of "Earthshine" where the reflected light from the Earth hits the moon.

Of course a Solar eclipse is where the moon crosses in front of the sun so that shows it does happen.

What blows my mind is that they appear to be almost almost exactly the same size from earth, hence the solar eclipse.

Can we just take a moment to marinade on how unlikely this is?
Won't last though. The moon is moving away from us and the sun is getting bigger. Could see the last solar eclipse on Earth in 700 million years or so.

Another thing I find mindblowing is that all the planets will fit in the distance between the Earth and the Moon....

Just watching a video with that Brian Cox fella today..he reckons the Sun will blow up or something in 5 billion years time..the earth will be fried but will probably keep going round the Sun which will be a white dwarf or something.

Back