The state of the City centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am always going on about this, starting to depress myself but get the impression our councillors, MPs etc all jump in their cars and use Durham or Newcastle. Not that I blame them, the last time I was in Sunderland station, the vending machine was 90% empty, letters had fallen off the "Travel Centre', inch of dust on the glass sloped ceiling, seagull / pigeon shit after some birds had flown in and best of all turned up to pick my tickets up only to find the ticket office closed and to be told the ticket machine was the the other end (why can't there be one each end). No long or short stay car parking and yet the Haymarket metro station had 20million plus spend on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Metro_station - so the money was there but a metro station had priority over a central railway station, wonder why.
TBH that Haymarket money was largely spent on the offices above. I think it has been wasted as those offices have largely been empty since they opened and last time I looked they were a Chinese Buffet. Without reading into it I imagine there will have been a lot of private investment on top of what Nexus put in for the refurbishment.

TBH that Haymarket money was largely spent on the offices above. I think it has been wasted as those offices have largely been empty since they opened and last time I looked they were a Chinese Buffet. Without reading into it I imagine there will have been a lot of private investment on top of what Nexus put in for the refurbishment.

I wonder how much money Nexus put in being a PTE? Just another example of regional bias.

It's just the way you carry on on here. I'd post examples but it would just be your entire posting history

As if you're suggesting there's no need for a lad to shop outside of Sunderland ffs :lol:

Leave your bubble, you do realise there's a world outside of SR6?
Monday club?

From Wiki
As of October 2015, it was announced that plans were being formulated for refurbishment of the upper concourse and exterior of Sunderland station to improve its image and access. Sunderland city council with its partners in the project Nexus and Network Rail said "We are currently finalising a detailed design solution with partners Network Rail and Nexus. In the meantime, we are working on options to secure some further funding to make the project happen, which will include improvements to the external space surrounding the station.

Not sure if anything got done but one of our MP's Julie Elliot is running/going to run a campaign to have it refurbished I've heard!

The problem with the train station is the amount of refurbishments its already had isnt proving cost effective. They last a few years and require a new refurbishment. They should spend big once on a move south, where the old station was once.....opposite the war memorial...on burdon road

Last edited:
The problem with the train station is the amount of refurbishments its already had isnt proving cost effective. They last a few years and require a new refurbishment. They should spend big once on a move south, where the old station was once.....opposite the war memorial...on burdon road

I'd pull the fecker down and build a proper stone/brick staiton with a gallery of shops. In Frankfurt there is a sliver shop - a tiny footprint but a good few floors high so it could be done!

Parking is almost always cheaper than public transport like. It's not like for like. I went to Newcastle last week and paid 70p per hour.

Git big office block gannin up on the Vaux site atm with no parking spaces. Where do you think all those office workers are gonna park if it's £3 all day? And that's just the first block. Where will all these shoppers park when they roll into town at 10am and there isn't an empty space?

If you stopped being a worky ticket maybe, aye.

I'd rather shop in Newcastle. Get over it.

Tbf we'd rather you shopped in Newcastle like. ;)

Navy homes I think.

Almshouses for the poor.

Also in the 1720s, ‘an hospital, or almshouse, erected and endowed for the maintenance of 12 poor men or women’ was built in Church Lane, next to St Michael’s, in 1727. The bequest by Jane Gibson was more substantial. The Mowbray family, who administered the fund, replaced the old buildings in the 1860s with the present Gothic structure. Bishopwearmouth had almshouses, too, for 10 female dependants of seamen. Built in Crowtree Lane in 1820, these survive as shops in Maritime Place.

Last edited:
I'd pull the fecker down and build a proper stone/brick staiton with a gallery of shops. In Frankfurt there is a sliver shop - a tiny footprint but a good few floors high so it could be done!

It will take big money to properly renovate the station. I just think Sunderland will never get a deserving train station as all the train services are effectively from newcastle. Its like the metro is a bolt-on service to take people to newcastle (to get the train/shop).....and not a service to take people around sunderland. Its made the train station even more hotch potch with the same platform serving metro and train traffic.

Sunderland really needs to be brave and develop a new station south of the existing one. We need to push for more rail services south of the station to the east coast mainline via durham coast line.
Its no coincidence sunderland gets the wrong end of regional bias with all the decision making for government bodies taken place in Newcastle. People need to challenge their MP's to demand a fair deal for sunderland

It will take big money to properly renovate the station. I just think Sunderland will never get a deserving train station as all the train services are effectively from newcastle. Its like the metro is a bolt-on service to take people to newcastle (to get the train/shop).....and not a service to take people around sunderland. Its made the train station even more hotch potch with the same platform serving metro and train traffic.

Sunderland really needs to be brave and develop a new station south of the existing one. We need to push for more rail services south of the station to the east coast mainline via durham coast line.
Its no coincidence sunderland gets the wrong end of regional bias with all the decision making for government bodies taken place in Newcastle. People need to challenge their MP's to demand a fair deal for sunderland
Sadly the bias is so ingrained into Westminster that I doubt that that will change.

No you wouldnt as there is actually bugger all in the town centre shops.
Houghton and Hetton are part of Sunderland these along with Seaham and Peterlee its actually easier and quicker to go to both Newcastle and the Metro Centre. Than try to drive into the town. If you have no effinity to Sunderland there is no reason to come into the town.

What the fuck is effinity? Pull the plug mods this one's failed the IQ test.

Git big office block gannin up on the Vaux site atm with no parking spaces. Where do you think all those office workers are gonna park if it's £3 all day? And that's just the first block. Where will all these shoppers park when they roll into town at 10am and there isn't an empty space?

Hopefully the council will start making money on parking then. Maybe cap the rate at weekends.

Sadly the bias is so ingrained into Westminster that I doubt that that will change.

I think it's because apathy is rife. People don't make enough protests when we're on the receiving end of a bad local decisions. It important the citizens make their feeling known to the local politicians about decisions. You normally need to supply your postcode when corresponding to prove your within a local area of representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back