The so called 39th game being pushed by media.

Did he call it "my good friend the 39th game"?
What will it be sponsored by?
Why don’t Toronto or one of the New York’s join the English set up then work their way through the ranks and if they make the PL then the PL teams will have to travel there for a match.

Last edited:
The game is being dragged further and further away from its roots, its sad to see. I thought this shite idea had been put to bed. Its getting spoiled by greedy fuckers. The transfer fees now are actually obscene when you think there are people in the world who cant afford to eat and there is talk of bale being paid a million a week. As in every walk of life, the elite are looking to pull the ladder up and shit on everyone else. Ironically this ruins the "product" as it makes things less competitive each year. Would love to see it all go tits up and some of these big clubs struggle.

In 20 years time all PL teams will play at least one 'home' game and one 'away' game abroad per season. It is in-f***ing-evitable.

It may even be that a team is based abroad. Some greedy whore of an owner will see the £$£$£ signs and do it.

Bookmark this !

It wouldn't like. Neither will VAR. There is simply too much to lose for it not to work. There will be huffing and puffing but money will win.
FIFA and UEFA won’t have teams based abroad atm.
FIFA are trying to set up their own World League, which is why the PL bunged Scudamore that extra cash to stop him going to work for them.
The Czechs n Slovaks are trying to reunite their leagues but UEFA won’t let em.
If the U.K. breaks up post Brexit I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cardiff, Swansea and Newport slung out of the FL/PL either.

I think you would pay for a usual 19 game season ticket and the extra game will treated as a cup/away game and won't be included in the price.

The game is being dragged further and further away from its roots, its sad to see. I thought this shite idea had been put to bed. Its getting spoiled by greedy fuckers. The transfer fees now are actually obscene when you think there are people in the world who cant afford to eat and there is talk of bale being paid a million a week. As in every walk of life, the elite are looking to pull the ladder up and shit on everyone else. Ironically this ruins the "product" as it makes things less competitive each year. Would love to see it all go tits up and some of these big clubs struggle.

I agree mate that the game is now away from its roots; however this is a big opportunity for a smaller PL club to make a fortune.

Ultimately the team to jumps first will receive the full PR backing of the PL, NBC and major companies like Coke/Pepsi. A club like us, mags, Villa etc could easily make 20m+ from one game - not to mention increase our profile.

I know it’s a deeply unpopular idea, but I honestly believe that once it happens and fans of other clubs see the benefits (not to mention they start to see fans enjoying themselves in NY etc) there will be a scramble to push their clubs abroad. Those at the back of the queue will miss out on millions

Has anyone ever been to London when the NFL's in town? The whole of Regent Street is turned into a giant fan park, the amount of money being generated must be eyewatering. Of course the Premier League are going to want some of that ££££

I agree mate that the game is now away from its roots; however this is a big opportunity for a smaller PL club to make a fortune.

Ultimately the team to jumps first will receive the full PR backing of the PL, NBC and major companies like Coke/Pepsi. A club like us, mags, Villa etc could easily make 20m+ from one game - not to mention increase our profile.

I know it’s a deeply unpopular idea, but I honestly believe that once it happens and fans of other clubs see the benefits (not to mention they start to see fans enjoying themselves in NY etc) there will be a scramble to push their clubs abroad. Those at the back of the queue will miss out on millions
Jaysus mate. Football sold its soul in 92 and now you’re advocating taking out a second mortgage?

Jaysus mate. Football sold its soul in 92 and now you’re advocating taking out a second mortgage?

You’re right mate - the horse bolted years ago! The reality is though; for clubs like us, if we want to compete in the top half of the PL (when we get back of course), we need to find a way of increasing revenue

It's a f***ing shit Idea, football teams already exist in these countries so the people over their should support their own teams, the premier league's grip on other countries stifles competition from abroad.

It makes no difference when American sports do it because there's no teams over here who they're ruining, football is already global and all that needs to happen is they expand European games to include the rest of the world and have a global superleague which teams can be promoted and relegated from.

You’re right mate - the horse bolted years ago! The reality is though; for clubs like us, if we want to compete in the top half of the PL (when we get back of course), we need to find a way of increasing revenue
Based on the premise that it will happen. ( it’s inevitable unfortunately) then you are right mate.

Of course you are right. My concern is once they cotton on to this, the door has already been opened to more games being staged abroad. Greed will take over and you could be looking at some attractive fixtures being taken away from the true supporters. Imagine if we lost, say the Chelsea home game under allardyce or when we beat city.

39th game was a crap idea, but a team will shift a fixture to the US eventually.

If we were in the premier league, then we should have pushed to be the first club.
For the greater good of the game, we should push for it now anyway. Imagine us serving up a speciality 1-1 draw with AFC Wimbledon at Yankee Stadium - it would put the kibosh on the whole thing for good.

Back