The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Rose 8/10
Woman released from prison tries to restart and rebuild her relationship with her child whilst trying to realize her dream of becoming a county singer. Really, really good. Jessie Buckley is amazing.

Tenet

Fuck me man Nolan. Head battered! Made inception and interstellar look like nursery rhymes man.

Good
Pattison
Brannagh
Soundtrack/score
Cinematography

Bad
Washington - gash
Sound first 20 minutes - couldn’t understand a Word.
Story - too ambitious. Way way too complicated to follow smoothly.

6/10. Worst Nolan film.
See I'm sure I heard that the sound early in the film, particularly the dialogue, is deliberately quite to the point of being inaudible in order that the audience are confused from the outset and thus are forced to go back to watch the film again to gain further understanding. This is something that's putting me off Tenet. I like enjoy giving a film a second viewing to pick up on things I've missed, come at aspects of it from a different angle, or properly form an opinion on it, but I'd prefer it wasn't forced upon me. I mean I'll watch it but I'm just unsure of the value of making something so confusing that the audience is left with no idea what's going on. Lazy storytelling almost.

Looking forward to Midnight Sky on Netflix in the 23rd.
Same. There's a few on Netflix due soon. The Dig, The Midnight Sky, Pieces of a Woman, Proxima, Babyteeth and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom all look very good. That time of year when awards season is coming up and there's a glut of quality films to be showcased only this time no cinemas so it's all in your own home.

Wild Rose 8/10
Woman released from prison tries to restart and rebuild her relationship with her child whilst trying to realize her dream of becoming a county singer. Really, really good. Jessie Buckley is amazing.

See I'm sure I heard that the sound early in the film, particularly the dialogue, is deliberately quite to the point of being inaudible in order that the audience are confused from the outset and thus are forced to go back to watch the film again to gain further understanding. This is something that's putting me off Tenet. I like enjoy giving a film a second viewing to pick up on things I've missed, come at aspects of it from a different angle, or properly form an opinion on it, but I'd prefer it wasn't forced upon me. I mean I'll watch it but I'm just unsure of the value of making something so confusing that the audience is left with no idea what's going on. Lazy storytelling almost.

Same. There's a few on Netflix due soon. The Dig, The Midnight Sky, Pieces of a Woman, Proxima, Babyteeth and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom all look very good. That time of year when awards season is coming up and there's a glut of quality films to be showcased only this time no cinemas so it's all in your own home.
Whatever it is is just tedious, sound mixing is awful, you turn the Volume up to hear the muttering but the score is so loud the you can’t then hear yourself f***ing think.

massive Nolan fan, But too far this time granted some cracking science.

Let Him Go - solid 8/10

Superman’s mam and dad in a period western/family drama. Some fantastic acting and Diane Lane is always nice to look at.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (2020) Viola Davis gives a memorable performance as the uncontrollable mother of blues Ma Rainey. The late Chadwick Boseman‘s final film and gives an excellent performance as a musician who locks horns with Ma Rainey. You can clearly see Boseman was in poor health throughout the movie. Bit of a slow burner but still an intriguing film. 8/10

Just watched Official Secrets with Keira Knightly. Superb.

Watched Knives Out the the other day and really enjoyed that too.

Sully.

Had it on my list to watch for a while, and finally got around to it yesterday. A very good 9/10, found it incredible that the authorities went to so many lengths to try to blame him after he'd saved 155 lives.

Both him and his co-pilot had balls of steel.

Last edited:
Sully.

Had it on my list to watch for a while, and finally got around to it yesterday. A very good 9/10, found it incredible that the authorities went to so many lengths to try to blame him after he'd saved 155 lives.

Both him and his co-pilot had balls of steel.
Never seen a bad Tom Hanks film.

Reactions: Red
Wild Rose 8/10

tenet an absolutely mind puzzle of a plot ,don't bother 2/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back